Health & Exercise
Options

Why, technically, do we gain so much weight while pregnant?

I am just curious because I am over halfway done, at 22 weeks and have gained about that..22lbs.  I use to be a tad underweight and at 110lbs..eating small meals and doing whole lot of cardio a week. Now I am eating 'normal'

I am now working out 3-4 times a week, doing weights and about an hour cardio each time, but the weight is still adding up..

I have always been toned but now my ass has turned to cellulite, my hips gained about 4-5 inches too..

One of my thin friends just got the weight in her belly but mine is belly and below... 

I know I have to gain weight and I still feel good...but I am confused..If I am not going crazy with food and still working out..why is it that we do gain the weight???  Are we 'storing fat for baby'? 

I dont mean to sound like an idiot..I am just curious as to how this weight has added up, when I do the math..there is no way I have eaten THAT much. 

Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Why, technically, do we gain so much weight while pregnant?

• Options

https://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/eatingfortwo.html

Baby: 7-8 poundsPlacenta: 1-2 poundsAmniotic fluid: 2 poundsUterus: 2 poundsMaternal breast tissue: 2 poundsMaternal blood : 4 poundsFluids in maternal tissue: 4 poundsMaternal fat and nutrient stores: 7 poundsPlus, if you were underweight and not eating well and overexercising before, I'm sure your body wants to hold onto some extra fat for both you and your baby.  You should be feeling lucky you managed to get pregnant and not worry about your weight!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thanks! I am not too worried..I just know that I am almost to my weight and only half way done...but I did my BMI and with my height and 110lbs before, I was a bit under..so I need to gain more than usual.  

I am very happy and we tried for about 7 months. :):):) 

Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I understand what you mean I was about 110 before prego and always workout/run etc. I have continued to workout faithfully throughout and have gained about 5 pounds. Although I am nervous about the weight gain- My girlfriend gave me good tip try to motivate yourself for after baby to lose the weight! I know it's hard understanding why we gain so much I always think the same thing- good luck !
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    BTW, I ran up until the very day DS was born, and had a super easy labor, and fast recovery.  I was able to begin running again within 3 weeks after he was born.  My weight was within 10lbs of my PP weight after a month, and thanks to BFing, below my PP weight in less than 3 months.  And I actually ate "normal," as you say, the entire time.  So seriously, don't worry about the weight gain.  As long as you stay healthy and fit, it will be totally easy to get your body back after you give birth.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

While I didn't have a super easy labor or a super duper fast recovery, my PP recovery was pretty good. I gained 28 lbs. during my pregnancy and lost 21 of them by about two weeks PP due to all of the fluid loss that occurs in those early weeks.

It took a few more months for the last 7 lbs. to slowly drop off (BFing causes some women to retain a little bit of weight), but I am not quite 5 months PP and down to my pre-pg weight. My hips have also been slowly shrinking back down. For the first 2-3 months, I wore maternity jeans, then moved into regular size 6 jeans, and now, just literally last week, I was able to get back into my regular size 4 skinny jeans.

Sure, there are some weekend days where I'm literally just too freaking busy taking care of DS (very busy baby) to eat all of the calories that I should be, but for the most part, I am eating plenty of food each day plus extra calories for BFing and I'm still slimming down a bit. Give it some time, but you will probably slim back down, too.

I was still too sore to do anything but go for easy walks for the first few weeks after DS was born. I waited until my 6 week checkup before going back to the gym, although unfortunately haven't had much time to work out since then. That should hopefully change soon.

It's good that you're eating normally. That's what I did, along with working out to the extent that I felt comfortable. Don't get discouraged if you don't have a slam-dunk fast delivery and amazingly easy recovery to the point where you're back out on the running trail at 3 weeks PP. Some women, like PP, are very lucky to experience that, but most women I know IRL have had experiences like mine, where the recovery is pretty darn good but it takes time. Those amazingly fast healing stories are the exception to the rule. I think we see them more often here than we would hear about them IRL. Just take care of yourself and be kind to yourself and you will get there. :)

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I gained over 40 lbs. with my daughter. I was pretty fit prior to becoming pregnant, and I exercised only a couple of times a week while PG. I ate everything in sight (Arby's at least once a week, lots of dessert, etc.). It was gross and I am so lucky I didn't end up with GD.

This time, I've gained 17 pounds at 17 weeks. Like you describe, I look a lot fuller from the neck down. I've been focusing on eating the right foods and exercising pretty much daily (as well as keeping up with a 2 year old and a house). I was super frustrated, and my doctor said that this just might be how my body responds to pregnancy.  But I'm still going to focus on eating right and exercising. In my experience, it is hard to break bad eating habits that you pick up in pregnancy, and that was a big problem for me PP. Good luck!

Baby E: July 3, 2009 Baby M: February 22, 2012
  • Options

Besides the obvious post about where the weight comes from, keep in mind that everyone is different as is every pregnancy.  I gained 40+lbs with my first 2 pregnancies and was able to get my body back fairly quickly after my oldest and then within 5 lbs after my second DS before getting pg with #3.  And fwiw, I gained most of my weight during my second trimester with both of my boys.  Keep on eating well and staying active and they'll be plenty of time to obsess about your body pp!  I always go through that phase where I'm feeling overwelmed and wondering if I will ever get back to that point.  But it will come if you put forth the effort!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"