VBAC

Scary difficult labor/cesarean

Hi ladies. I also posted this in c sections, wondering if anyone had a similar experience a and then possibly a successful VBAC. I had a very difficult labor ending up with a cesarean with DS and I was wondering if anyone went through something similar. I labored for 19 hours and had my epidural about 10 hours in. I had a few shots beforehand and they relaxed me a bit but didn't do too much. It took the anesthesiologist over 1 hour to properly insert the catheter for my epi and he stuck me atleast 10 x in the process. It was horrible, I had a hard time keeping still because I was become more and more anxious as it became more apparent he was having trouble. So after he got it in, it never really offered much relief. I had excruciating back labor for 7 hours even after he had topped it off. So finally the ordered the cesarean and my husband got ready to join me while they wheeled me down. Now a new catheter had to be inserted for a spinal block and this was with a new anesthesiologist. He had no luck whatsoever. I was in tears for 45 mins with my husband and family freaking out in the waiting room thinking something was wrong. Finally they just put me out completely under general anesthesia and did not let my husband in, I was terrified up until the point where I passed out and missed the birth of my baby that i waited so patiently for 9 months to see. My whole family got to see and hold my son hours before I did, and when I did wake up I was in excruciating pain to the point where seeing him for the first time was very blurry and I wasn't able to enjoy it like I wanted. I found out later that my friend with then SAME exact docs down to the very last detail went thru the same experience completely, and 2 years later I just found out that we were not the only ones. My OB has left her practice in that hospital bc they refuse to address concerns of patients that had terrible experience with the anesthesiologists who have BOTH since been fired. In fact one of them is being sued by multiple women for malpractice , I am not sure of the specifics but it definitely freaked me out. At the time the one doctor mentioned I may have mild scoliosis and that is why he had so much trouble with the epi, but if it happened to so many other women I question that. I am just terrified of what I may have to go through next time, in no way shape or form do I want to have a repeat. If anything I would like to try for VBAC but I have reservations about that as well. Missing the birth of my child was heartbreaking to me.... I know he was born healthy and I should be happy and not worry about it, but its something I feel was taken from me and I will never forget it. They also denied my husband the same ....has anyone had any of the above happen?
sweet baby boy ryan born 6/24/09
TTC since 8/09 . MC 1/15/10 @ 7w4d // 6/2/10 @ 8w2d
TTC with no menstrual cycle since 6/10, finally got one 8/25/11 :)
Lilypie Maternity tickers
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Scary difficult labor/cesarean

• I'm so sorry that you missed your baby's birth.  You have every right to feel upset about that.

I didn't have a c/s under general anesthesia but I also had a long labor with back labor before my c/s, and I was able to have a fast and easy VBAC with #2.  What was the actual reason for your c/s--failure to progress?

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Your experience is similar to mine. I was in labor for 27 hours (induction) with an epidural that did not take completely. I ended up having and emergency c-section after 2 hours of pushing because my daughter would not descend and was in distress. When they could not get the epi to be sufficient enough for surgery I was put under. My mother not my husband (due to fainting issues) was not able to come in to the OR they did not tell her until after surgery was already started. I was scared and the only person that understood my fear was the anesthesiologists. He assured me that he would be there the entire time and would not let anything happen to me. After surgery I had some breathing problems, litterly gasped for air for 4 hours after DD birth. I thought I was going to dye. We were team green and I did not know the sex of my baby or get to hold her until she was 4 hours old. I was the last person to get to hold her.

I am pregnant again, while I would LOVE to have a VBAC delivery my fear is having to have a general c-section again and missing this child's birth. I had such a hard time with it after DD birth (I cried for months about it, regardless of the healthy baby line, my heart was broken, I felt robbed of an experience I looked forward to all my life) I do not know if I can handle that again. I have plenty of time to decide, but I also want to decide soon so I can prepare myself for whatever my choice is.

• Loading the player...
  • I would be upset too. Missing your baby's birth is definitely a loss that you should grieve.  Although, I was not under general, I was so doped up that I really didn't appreciate or experience her birth in the way that I had envisioned.  It's one of my primary drivers for wanting a VBAC.

I would definitely speak with your OB about the scoliosis comment and try to identify a hospital that would be better capable of handling a challenging anaesthetic situation.   Maybe for the next one you can look into hypnobabies, also, to find some non-medical pain relief.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageiris427:

I'm so sorry that you missed your baby's birth.  You have every right to feel upset about that.

I didn't have a c/s under general anesthesia but I also had a long labor with back labor before my c/s, and I was able to have a fast and easy VBAC with #2.  What was the actual reason for your c/s--failure to progress?

Basically yep, I went 19 hours and only got to 4cm...and my son had his head stuck off to the side in my pelvis & refused to move. When he came out he had a cone shaped head & my FIL said "OMG they had an orangoutang".... He's just soooo hilar. Ontop of those 2 factors there was meconium so they didnt want him to aspirate that for fear of a huge infection. Thanks for the reply!

• imagepinkmoonlight:

Your experience is similar to mine. I was in labor for 27 hours (induction) with an epidural that did not take completely. I ended up having and emergency c-section after 2 hours of pushing because my daughter would not descend and was in distress. When they could not get the epi to be sufficient enough for surgery I was put under. My mother not my husband (due to fainting issues) was not able to come in to the OR they did not tell her until after surgery was already started. I was scared and the only person that understood my fear was the anesthesiologists. He assured me that he would be there the entire time and would not let anything happen to me. After surgery I had some breathing problems, litterly gasped for air for 4 hours after DD birth. I thought I was going to dye. We were team green and I did not know the sex of my baby or get to hold her until she was 4 hours old. I was the last person to get to hold her.

I am pregnant again, while I would LOVE to have a VBAC delivery my fear is having to have a general c-section again and missing this child's birth. I had such a hard time with it after DD birth (I cried for months about it, regardless of the healthy baby line, my heart was broken, I felt robbed of an experience I looked forward to all my life) I do not know if I can handle that again. I have plenty of time to decide, but I also want to decide soon so I can prepare myself for whatever my choice is.

Oh my God I am so sorry for your bad experience, I could NOT agree more with you and I feel the exact same way!!!! My family and DH were just happy to have the baby and I both healthy and that of course was the most important thing. But I have never forgotten that horrible feeling. From the second they put that mask on me I has non stop tears, the nurses had to hug me bc I was shaking.. I felt like that wonderful moment I had waited so long for was completely stolen from me. I was definitely angry. I also let my husband know I wished he would have waited to let everyone hold him until I had seen him first, just out of respect..but it had been 4 hours and I kind of had to just deal with it. I am horrified that this may happen again. Ive been seeing the chiropractor daily since then to deal with my back...she informed me I did not have scoliosis so it makes me wonder why it was so difficult for thee two doctors to get the needle in-between the vertebrae and I'm even more curious to know the details of their termination from the hospital. Thank you for your response it's great to know someone else feels exactly like I feel and I'm not just being petty. I dont think anyone but a pregnant woman or mother could get it. It's the one precious moment that every single little detail builds up to....it's like planning every tiny detail of a huge elaborate wedding for 9 months straight and then missing the Part where you say I do :( I can only hope and pray it doesn't happen again I would be devastated ...

• I'm so sorry you went through that and as we all know, we can be happy for a healthy baby, but still sad about the birth.  My situation was different, but what I feel I got from my first c/s was empowerment to aim for a better birth the second time.  I thought I did a lot of research the first time, but this last time I really felt prepared for a VBAC or RCS.  Kind of sad that we have to prepare/research something that should be so natural, but it is what it is.  It sounds like you are taking those steps now and hopefully it can lead to a happier birth experience for you next time.  Hope we can be of help too!
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am so sorry that you had such a horrible birth experience.  I was in a somewhat similar situation.  My epi didn't work, but the OB started cutting anyway.  I was never given the option for a general, not that I'm sure I would have taken it anyway.  But basically I felt my whole c-section.

Mine was also for FTP and DS1 had some heart decels.  I was induced and never got past 1cm.

This time, I went into labor on my own.  It was long, but I got my VBAC.  My birth story is a little further down.

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I had g/a.  DD was breech, I was at the hospital due to leaking a lot of fluids, due to be 5.5 cms, so as they broke my water to start labor, they realized she flipped, so  had to have what should have been a calm c section.

Well, the anesthiologist would not listen to me when I said I wasn't numb, so as soon as my ob got to the right side of my body, I was screaming in pain because I wasn't numb on that side.  So DH got kicked out without explaination.  After 4 month of fighting with the anesthesia office, they wrote off my bill with them (it my ded, so I owed them quite a bit) which is nice, but I really would just like an apology.  Never going to happen.  

My cousin, who isn't a dr, but is something, lol, not sure what, we aren't really close.  Anyways, when I told him what happened, and about the stabbing pain I felt from the needle insertion, he said she hit a nerve, which is why my back is killing me still today.  It was good to hear him say that though, because there have been times I feel like I imagined the pain from the incision.  

I have sat down and talked to my ob.  He wasn't in the room when I told the other dr. I wasn't numb, so he truly had no idea, and I could see that he was clearly upset when it all happened (and to his benefit, he was really upset for me when I had to have a csection).  It was really good to talk to him about everything.  He really wants me to try for a vbac (which is my plan anyways) and we discussed if I do have to have a csection.  He promised me that any of his pt's that for some reason had to have g/a didn't need it the second time.  Which I know that's just odds, but the odds are good.

I hate that everyone met my daughter first.  She was born alone, with no one who loved her.  There aren't pictures of her before being bathed.  She first drank from a bottle. I didn't hear her first cry.

• imageryansmamaxo:
    imagepinkmoonlight:

Your experience is similar to mine. I was in labor for 27 hours (induction) with an epidural that did not take completely. I ended up having and emergency c-section after 2 hours of pushing because my daughter would not descend and was in distress. When they could not get the epi to be sufficient enough for surgery I was put under. My mother not my husband (due to fainting issues) was not able to come in to the OR they did not tell her until after surgery was already started. I was scared and the only person that understood my fear was the anesthesiologists. He assured me that he would be there the entire time and would not let anything happen to me. After surgery I had some breathing problems, litterly gasped for air for 4 hours after DD birth. I thought I was going to dye. We were team green and I did not know the sex of my baby or get to hold her until she was 4 hours old. I was the last person to get to hold her.

Oh my God I am so sorry for your bad experience, I could NOT agree more with you and I feel the exact same way!!!! My family and DH were just happy to have the baby and I both healthy and that of course was the most important thing. But I have never forgotten that horrible feeling. From the second they put that mask on me I has non stop tears, the nurses had to hug me bc I was shaking.. I felt like that wonderful moment I had waited so long for was completely stolen from me. I was definitely angry. I also let my husband know I wished he would have waited to let everyone hold him until I had seen him first, just out of respect..but it had been 4 hours and I kind of had to just deal with it. I am horrified that this may happen again. Ive been seeing the chiropractor daily since then to deal with my back...she informed me I did not have scoliosis so it makes me wonder why it was so difficult for thee two doctors to get the needle in-between the vertebrae and I'm even more curious to know the details of their termination from the hospital. Thank you for your response it's great to know someone else feels exactly like I feel and I'm not just being petty. I dont think anyone but a pregnant woman or mother could get it. It's the one precious moment that every single little detail builds up to....it's like planning every tiny detail of a huge elaborate wedding for 9 months straight and then missing the Part where you say I do :( I can only hope and pray it doesn't happen again I would be devastated ...

I could not agree more. This is why it is going to take me a while to decide with this pregnancy. Because I would absolutely lose it if I had to miss another child's birth.  My situation gets a little more complicated in the fact that my husband has a weak stomach and passes out really easily. If I have a repeat he will not be in the OR my mother will be there, if I do a vaginal my mother will be my support person. DH will be in there but he will not be much of a help.(It really is that bad) If I go with a VBAC my plan is chiro, doula and hypnobabies. But we will see I am not even 4 weeks yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"