Philadelphia Babies
Options

Breastfeeding Classes

I had a Dr.'s appointment last night and my OB said that a BFing class can be even more important than a child-birth class.  I understand -- it lasts longer!

Has anyone taken a per-natal BFing class in the Philly area they can recommend?  Bryn Mawr (ML Health) has one, Nurture (store in Ardmore) doesn't seem to have one (though I thought I remembered differently...they do have a BFing support group), and The Nesting House (in Mt. Airy) offers one through Blossoming Bellies. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Breastfeeding Classes

• Options
    ask at the hospital where you going to deliver
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Abington Hospital has a huge support center/group so it's possible they may have one. I have never thought that a BF class was something to think about prior to baby being born. You just gave me something to think about if I am lucky enough to have a 2nd.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Oct Angel Babies boots badge
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I took one last week at Paoli Hospital (also ML Health).  It was useful, I guess.  You could learn all the same info online or by reading books, but it's nice to devote 2 hours to learning out BFing, with your DH there and with an opportunity to ask questions.
  • Options
    I'm delivering at Cooper, which is too far for us to go (from Main Line) for a BFing class in the evening.  The Birth Center says on their website their classes are for their clientele.  While I did e-mail them to check, they haven't gotten back to me yet.  Thanks for the recommendations.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have gone to the Nurture store for support and have got a lot out of it (plus it is free).  There paper says that you can go before having LO. 

BFP #1 March 24, 2010; missed m/c May 26, 2010 @ 12w 4d; D&E May 28, 2010

BFP #2 Oct 20, 2010; My little boy was born on July 5, 2011

BFP #3 April 30, 2013; Chemical Pg May 5, 2013

BFP #4 Aug 22, 2013; It's a boy.  Loss discovered at 24 weeks on Jan 15, 2014 (cause CMV virus)    

<3 We love and miss you Timothy <3

BFP #5 April 6, 2014; missed m/c May 15, 2014 @ 9 weeks; Misoprostol May 15, 2014; D&C May June 3, 2014

• Options
    I took one at Penn hospital (where I delivered) and honestly the best part of the class was that the person running it was the lactation consultant and she the best piece of advice she had was that, while in the hospital DEMAND to see the lactation consultant.  Even if you think you only need a little help.  I felt like I had to wait forever to see her, and it turns out the woman who taught our class was the consultant, but the most valuable advice given was when she was one-on-one with me, in the room seeing my baby latching.  GL to you!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"