Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Tummy time Q

N doesnt really get that he should push up with his arms during tummy time.  Is this something I can help him with or is it one of those things that he will one day just get?  I know its silly but I can't help feeling like he is lagging behind.  Right now he either lies there sucking his fist or lifts his arms and legs and just kicks and punches.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Tummy time Q

• Options

I'm  not sure that there is anything you can do, but have you tried sitting in front of him and dangling something above his eye level that he might be motivated to "push up" and look at? 

I don't think he is lagging behind. There is such a wide range for meeting these early milestones. :) 

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    imageSarahL77:

I'm  not sure that there is anything you can do, but have you tried sitting in front of him and dangling something above his eye level that he might be motivated to "push up" and look at? 

I don't think he is lagging behind. There is such a wide range for meeting these early milestones. :) 

This....I completely agree!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS does the same thing. He will try and look up if he is flat on the floor but does better if he's propped on the boppy. He doesn't use his arms much though.

• Options
    imageSarahL77:

I have tried that.  Even lying down it's hard to get him to look at me because he's so low to the ground.  And I think he gets too frustrated to be bothered looking at toys.  I ordered him a new play mat yesterday - maybe that will help get his interest.  In the meantime, I'm going to back off the crazy train and realize he will get there in time. 

• Options

Right around/after she turned 3 months, DD just started doing it on her own.  I do position her when I put her down so that her arms are in the right place so she can push up.  She does it all the time now, but it wasn't that long ago that she was just lying there sucking her fist.  And sometimes that's still all she wants to do. :)  But yeah, I think she just "got it".

ETA: I tried the toy thing a few times but she has yet to show interest in any toy except the giraffe mobile that came w/her PNP.

• Options

He's just shy of 3months old?   I'd say this is totally normal.  He'll start this soon.  Don't worry!

Baby Boy Born 3.15.11. 8lb 9oz, 21.75in. 6 month stats: 20lb 11oz (92%tile), 30.12in.(100%tile - who knew it went over 99th? Which means 100% of other 6 month olds are shorter than mine!)
  • Options
    J was the same way and just started doing this last week. Before then he HATED ttime with a passion. Its like he just figured out being on his belly was comfy. I think they need to start liking it before they start progressing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    One day he'll just get it. My man flailed around, face planted, and cried on his tummy and then suddenly started pushing up and actually enjoying tummy time
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Audrey is almost 4 months and she does not use her arms at all during tummy time. She lifts her head up high but doesn't put weight on her hands. She basically just moves her hands in a swimming motion. She has not rolled tummy to back yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"