TTC after 35
Options

Broken key and teens-NIFR

Ok........I was sound asleep.  My 18yo called (15 minutes before his midnight curfew) to tell me that his key had broken in half-not in the ignition though.  I told him to wake up his friends parents and ask them for a ride home.  He said he couldn't wake them up.  We have no other car to bring him a set of keys.  My son and his friend walked along a busy road at midnight to come get my set.  I am worried sick, waiting for him to get home because this is not something that I consider safe.

When my son got home I told him that he is NOT allowed to go to this friends house anymore.  There clearly is little or no adult supervision, and if you cannot wake a parent in an emergency then there are much bigger issues that need to be addressed.  I told my son that if his friends mom calls me and we can have a discussion about how things are at her house, then I may be willing to reconsider.

Anyone ever broken a key when it was just in their pocket?  I wonder if my son really was where he said he was?  The other teen did walk home with him to get the other key........but something about this whole story is not adding up in my head-then again it's more than several hours after time I'm supposed to be asleep.  I want to impose consequences, but I don't know what else right now.  Know (because he brought it up to DH) that my son is considering moving out with this other teen-who works but is not attending college at this time. 

WWYD?

TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome

Re: Broken key and teens-NIFR

• Options

Honestly, I wouldn't do anything. He's 18 and he did call before curfew and a midnight curfew at 18, that he respects and follows, would suggest he's a good kid. 18 is so young but it is an adult.

The fact that the other kid works and doesn't attend college doesn't make him a bad kid.

I would think at 18 they wouldn't need much adult supervision. I don't think 18 is really old but they are adults. (legally) Not allowing him to go to a friend's house could result in him just not telling you he is going to the friend's house. It's one thing to let him know what you would prefer but I wouldn't ban him.

I expect respect from my kids at any age but at 18 I think don't think yous son did anything really bad.

I don't know his history but I am basing it on my own kids and what I would expect from them and how I would treat them.

• Options
    Actually, my DH broke his car key just turning it in the trunk so I believe that a key could be broken in a person's pocket if they bend it just right. I think he did the right thing by calling you before his curfew. At his age, I would have hesitated waking up a friend's parents because I wouldn't have considered it an emergency since there was a solution and alternative to waking them. Hopefully you were able to get back to sleep and get some rest.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback ladies........lets just say my son is a good kid.  I made him get up this morning to discuss things.  Teens don't always think the same way that adults do-and I know that "hanging out" without any general purpose or supervision can lead to problematic behaviors.  Working today to buy him his first car, so hopefully we can turn things around on a more positive note.
    TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Options

Sounds like you've done a great job because he sounds like an amazing kid.

I don't know how my first response sounded but I think he sounds very responsible and respectful.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"