D.C. Area Babies
Options

Is this terrible twos?

If so, god help me. DD will ask for something (usually it's "up") and I'll say no. This sets off crying, which quickly devolves into hysterics. This happened leaving daycare today, and I'm sure people thought I was torturing her. She continued crying when we were in the car, so I sat with her and she didn't stop crying until I gave her giraffie, her lovie. The crying wasn't just like she was upset, it was like she was in pain.

Is this what I have to look forward to for the next year?

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers"

Re: Is this terrible twos?

• Options

Yes.

Indifferent

The terrible twos are exactly this - they act like the WORLD is coming to an END over everything.  The best you can do is keep your good humor.  Most of the tantrums are more funny than annoying.  But there are some annoying ones too.

Practice the art of ignoring.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Options

DS1 threw horrendous fits and his favorite place to throw them was of course in public.  I got to where I would narrate what was happening so that others wouldn't be alarmed (I swear it sounded like I was killing him).  I'd say things like "I know it's hard to accept no" or "I know you don't want to leave the toys but it's time to go."  I would be saying this while I was carrying him on my hip with him flailing and screaming his head off.  Fun times!

Kim

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

yes

the longer answer - DD's 1st tantrum was at 10mo old. She didn't have them that much her 2nd year but they got progressively worse and would happen more often. The 3rd year is a lot worse than the 2nd. She's 34mo and they are not any better. I thought after the terrible 2s, there is no way the tumultuous 3s could be any worse but I may have been mistaken. 

• Options
    Unfortunately yes.  No may also become her fave word to say back to you.  Fun times.
  • Options

imagetracy042206:
    Unfortunately yes.  No may also become her fave word to say back to you.  Fun times.

what is even funner is having "no" screamed/screeched/yelled at you or right into your face

have you read 1-2-3 Magic yet? please do:) 

• Options
    M has started doing exactly what you describe. I call it the "terrible ones."
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageWinesNot Whines:

Sprout has too. Indifferent

At night he doesn't even want to be rocked or read to anymore.  He just wants to go into his crib and talk to himself/play for an hour or so until he falls asleep.

I feel like he's already 13 except w/out the door slamming.

• Options

Yep, this is the twos. DD does things like this as well.

If you haven't read 123 Magic, it may be worth a read. I read it (thanks to the recommendation of this board) and it has been very helpful in managing 2 year old behavior. DD definitely throws tantrums but I feel like it's less because we use the 1-2-3 magic. Hang in there.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DS had fits like that, but they also coincided with his 2-year molars breaking through.  Once they had finished cutting through, they haven't been nearly as terrible. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

YES. This will shortly be followed by "I WANT TO DO IT MYSELLFFFFF!"

Have fun! Big Smile

Photobucket
  • Options

imageI_love_cupcakes:
    DS had fits like that, but they also coincided with his 2-year molars breaking through.  Once they had finished cutting through, they haven't been nearly as terrible. 

This is what I'm hoping is happening, but can't tell because she won't let me look.

I have 123 Magic, but haven't actually read it yet. I've been told it doesn't really work until the child is 2, which DD will be next month. I'll put that at the top of the reading list.

Thanks, ladies!

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers"
  • Options

Yes.  For us, two was all about independence.  Three is all about drama.  Say no and you've hurt his feelings forever and ever and he won't EVER DO THAT EVER AGAIN!  FOREVER.  NEVER AGAIN!

• Options

Unfortunately, yes. I think it lasts longer than a year.Indifferent

My favorite right now is her channeling her teenage years and screaming 'GET OUT OF MY ROOM!'

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageVARedhead:

imageI_love_cupcakes:

This is what I'm hoping is happening, but can't tell because she won't let me look.

I have 123 Magic, but haven't actually read it yet. I've been told it doesn't really work until the child is 2, which DD will be next month. I'll put that at the top of the reading list.

Thanks, ladies!

I think you can start using it around 18mos

• Options
    imagekastle:

imageWinesNot Whines:

Sprout has too. Indifferent

At night he doesn't even want to be rocked or read to anymore.  He just wants to go into his crib and talk to himself/play for an hour or so until he falls asleep.

I feel like he's already 13 except w/out the door slamming.

This.  Argghh

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageclaraj:

YES. This will shortly be followed by "I WANT TO DO IT MYSELLFFFFF!"

Have fun! Big Smile

This is what it sounds like daily at my house.  Heaven forbid we do something, it needs to be undone and then DD does it before the crying stops....

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"