Pregnant after 35
Options

Crazy to have an amnio?

We recently received good results on our NT test, but we still want to go ahead with an amnio since the NT is just a screening test.

I feel like the nurses think I am nuts to request the amnio.  Anyone else have these issues? 

Re: Crazy to have an amnio?

• Options

I think amnio is appropriate in certain situations.  Family history and advanced maternal age.  I requested an amnio.  I am 41 and delivered June 2011 which at my age gave me a 1 in 139 chance of having a child with chromosomal abnormalities or NTD.  I would have not changed anything regarding my pregnancy in response to the results.  But if there was abnormalities being prepared for those at delivery can make a difference. 

Hope this helps with your decision. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Both times I skipped all other screening tests and only had an amnio.  It's up to you, but I need to KNOW and an amnio is diagnostic.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

i don't think you are crazy.

but i'm a 'need to know' type. 

• Options

You're not crazy!I did the same thing.I will be 35 by the time I deliver, with no history of genetic problems in our families.

Just ignore the nurses.They should't judge you! 

• Options
    I think if your #s weren't good with NT scan and you are worried then its your choice to do an amnio. If you know you would have the baby either way then maybe think about it, it does slightly increase risk of mc. We opted out of any invasive testing but its a personal decision, do what is right for you, theres no right or wrong
  • Options

I get my nt tests tomorrow, today we did the scan adn the neck was 1.2, tomorrow we get labs and odds. We have a cvs scheduled for Friday, and are not sure what we will do. We do not want a surprise, but also do not want to risk the pregnancy at all.

Its SUCH a tough decision, I have been battling it for wks.

Kingsley Kennedy Wolff born March 16, 2012!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"