Pregnant after 35
Options

Twice a week Doc. appointments?

Just wondering if anyone else is going through this insanity.  Once I hit 34 weeks I have to go twice a week, once to the peri for an ultrasound and once to my OB for a NST. 

I am 42 and I appreciate the special care but it seems like overkill to me.  I've had a CVS and everything was normal.  And I've had several ultrasounds and the baby is doing great.  They tell me that they need to closely monitor the placenta with older moms.

Any of you over 40 ladies deal with this?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Twice a week Doc. appointments?

• Options

My doctor told me to expect this toward the end as the they are making sure that LO is happy in Mom's belly for as long as possible.At least until 37 weeks. My doctor does a biophysical at 32 weeks (ultrasound with a look at the placenta and other stuff) to make sure we reach 37 weeks.  He also stated that a NST would most likely be in there at some point as well depending on what they see in the ultrasound.. 

Sounds like over kill, but they are trying to make sure you get the best care possible for a healthy baby. I'm 38 years old.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
  • Options

I am 40 and I went once every four weeks until week 36, now once every 2 weeks. I am glad as the appointments are really uneventful and I'd not want to spend so much time at the dr's for no reason.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm 36 and started going twice a week starting at week 37 for NST. 
  • Options
    My due date was my 40th birthday and I never had to go twice a week. Didn't even ramp up to once a week until the final six weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I actually just started my monthly growth scans this week. I will be monthly until I think 32 ish weeks.

As a person with some prior experience with a placenta that gave out, I need the extra monitoring. It is pretty well proven that for older moms, the placenta can start calcifying earlier.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 4/9/09 - Chloe, our angel twin Lilypie First Birthday tickers>
  • Options
    I'm 40 and had to go for twice weekly NST's and ultrasounds starting at wk 32.   The risk of late term fetal demise is 3x higher in women over 40 than women <35 and my OB is more on the conservative side when it came to monitoring.  My sister and my sister in law(both <40) had losses after they reached full term so despite being annoyed at going to the doctor so much, I was glad to know LO was doing well in there.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm 36... once I hit 36 weeks I have to go to my regular OB weekly, and to the peri for weekly biophysicals (not sure what that entails- I'll ask my OB when I see her next).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"