Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Paragard IUD users come in!

So I'm thinking of getting Paragard, the copper IUD. I'm digging the idea of not having to take (AND pay for!) hormones anymore.

For those of you who use it who have experienced heavier periods, were you on hormonal birth control before? (I'm thinking perhaps the hormonal contriceptives artificially lighten/shorten periods, so since I'm not currently on hormonal BC I'm wondering if my periods will get worse?)

(And IUDs are totally EFF, right?! Because... um... no trash! Or something.<--rationale for asking here, where the ladies aren't scary!)

Any first hand experiences would be helpful. Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Paragard IUD users come in!

• Options

I was not on hormonal birth control before I had Paragard inserted, and I had very heavy periods with terrible cramps. Paragard made me bleed for almost two months straight and gave me incredible pain during sex and just during normal day to day stuff, so I had it removed. It was still properly placed and all that.

Paragard can make periods heavier. I had a very bad experience with it, unfortunately. 

• Options
    imagekelbrian:

I was not on hormonal birth control before I had Paragard inserted, and I had very heavy periods with terrible cramps. Paragard made me bleed for almost two months straight and gave me incredible pain during sex and just during normal day to day stuff, so I had it removed. It was still properly placed and all that.

Paragard can make periods heavier. I had a very bad experience with it, unfortunately. 

Yowza. Thanks for the feedback. The pain during sex sounds like a non-starter... WHY can't there be some decent non-hormonal EFFECTIVE and cheap options? This is why we need women scientists! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I knew I'd seen a post about this recently, but apparently wasn't googling properly to find it. Problem solved!

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/47965114.aspx

• Options

I've been going back and forth about Paragard. When I told my Dr that my periods tend to be heavy and long she suggested it might not be a great idea for me.

I don't want to do hormonal BC either.

Have you thought about charting +condoms? I think that's what I'll end up doing.

• Options
    imageenglishviola:

I've been going back and forth about Paragard. When I told my Dr that my periods tend to be heavy and long she suggested it might not be a great idea for me.

I don't want to do hormonal BC either.

Have you thought about charting +condoms? I think that's what I'll end up doing.

We're doing condoms right now, and I'm considering charting. I'm not sure if charting is needed if we're diligent about the condoms? Any thoughts?

• Options

I had one put in at 8 or 12 weeks post partum and have had it for about 10 months. The first month or two I felt it if I sat at an angle or leaned over. It was weird and it hurt. I had an ultrasound to make sure placement was good and it was. I had the strings trimmed twice.

After those first few months things have been fine. The only thing different is more discharge. I can't say anything about periods though, still BF and haven't had one. For right now, I can say I really like it but if my periods get worse, (they were already very bad), I might switch to the Mirena.

• Options

My periods tend to be on the heavier and longer side w/o "help" from birth control..but honestly the IUD made it much much worse. I like that I didn't have to remember it..I like that it's cost effective *If* you keep it the whole 10 years..but I did not like mine. My periods were awful..2 weeks long and so heavy I would bleed through huge tampons within an hour of putting them in. And that's considered normal! And don't even get me started on the pain..cramps were unbearable [and I never had PMS before I used the Paragard]. 

Also mine started to expel after about 9 months and my OB had to remove it for me. The strings were stuck in my cervix and that was extremely painful to "undo".

so yeah not my favorite. I've had the Mirena and found it much more enjoyable..no period for the 10 months I was on it. Didn't feel like the hormones really affected me. They're supposed to be localized so yeah..

sorry to be a downer lol but I hated mine 

TTC #3 cycle #3 Taking a break for a few months and resuming in the spring!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"