Postpartum Depression

Where to get help?

Hi everyone! I?ve been on the bump since I found out I was pregnant, but I never knew this board existed. I?m so glad I found it. My story - I had my baby 2 ? months ago. Since shortly after she was born, I feel like I?m stuck in a hole. I don?t find much joy in being a mother (which of course makes me feel horrible). My husband is gone all the time and we don?t have any family nearby, so I am really alone. I have been back at work for 3 weeks, which has made me feel a little better, but I am just not myself. I feel like I should be loving this time with my DD, but I?m just so overwhelmed and stressed.  I really want to talk to someone, but now that I?ve come to that conclusion I don?t know who to talk to. My husband called my OB?s office a few weeks ago because he was concerned, but they were little help. Do you know how I can find a counselor or someone to talk to? Or do you have any other advice.

Re: Where to get help?

• I am having a very rough time myself-I've had severe anxiety depression for 12 years, and the Zoloft isn't helping at all...had an emergency c-section, she hasn't latched at all even with help from the lac consultants and it's SUCKING the life out of me, so may be switching primarily to formula next month...my Mom is in the hospital in another state with pnemonia, and I have fibromyalgia which is flaring up BIGTIME...my back, shoulders and whole body hurt, and I'm having horrible, horrible headaches...I highly recommend contacting the hospital where you had your LO, they usually offer therapy for new Moms, I'm going this Thursday cuz talking to friends and family just isn't enough, and I feel like I'm going to lose it some days. Many on here are very supportive, and I'm sure you will be able to find somewhere to go to talk so someone. I wish you the best, this is REALLY tough! <3
    image image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I sought the advice of both a psychiatrist and my primary care physician. My primary doctor is the one who has been managing my meds and the psychiatrist is helping me to cope with the stress so I can enjoy my DD.

It is not easy when you don't feel like other women you may know or the women in the movies. Being a mom is extremely exhausting, challenging, draining, stressful, demanding and there are no days off. BUT you have a much harder time managing all the chaos when your hormones and emotions are completely out of whack.

So I would recommend starting by calling your regular doctor or if you don't have one, you can contact your insurance for referrals to a psychiatrist. 

In the meantime, try to talk to your husband, that was the hardest part for me; but once I clued him in to what I was feeling and gave him ideas for how he could be supportive things have been better. Also, since you don't have family around try and make friends with other moms of young babies. Baby dates are fun, even if you are just going for a nice walk. 

Feel free to private message me if you have any questions. 

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • In addition to what PPs have recommended (support groups at the hospital, primary care and/or psychiatrist), you can check with your work to see if they have an Employee Assistance Program.  EAPs are confidential; they can refer you to a therapist and may even cover the cost of some appointments.

Good luck!

Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"