1st Trimester
Options

Hemorrhoids - WWYD?

So - a few days ago I started bleeding pretty bad when I went to the bathroom.  I freaked out because I wasn't sure where it was coming from and I honestly thought I was having a MC.  It turns out it wasn't and it was coming from the other hole! 

The Dr. didn't check me out - he just said on the phone that it was Hemorrhoids, and that if I need something that he can call it in.  I am still bleeding two days later - and in terrible pain, but I don't really want to take anything because the stuff he called in for me is a Catagory C drug (Anucort-HC supp) so they are hydrocortisone, and could be harmful.  These are internal but terribly painful and still bleeding.  I tried to ask him why I would have these so darn early, and he said, "I am not sure, probably hormones - increased blood flow... etc."

What bothers me is, no one ever checked me out - yes, it hurts in that area, but - what are the chances it is something different going on?  The suppositories could hurt the fetus, and I am only 4 and a half weeks in - first tri... the baby is just now starting to develop - so these could technically mess up the baby, right?  I am sure I have to sound so naive and stupid, but I am really freaking out, and in a lot of pain. What would you do? 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Hemorrhoids - WWYD?

• Options
    I am so sorry you are going through this! Ouch! I would try Tucks medicated pads if you are not happy about taking the Anucort. They are safe for pregnancy and will give you some relief fast. GL!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

If you are bleeding from your anus and pregnant, it's likely hemmis or an anal fissure. Either one is no fun. TMI ahead! I developed a hemorrhoid after giving birth to J. It honestly felt like I was pooping shards of glass for a while.

If it's hemmis, make sure to drink lots of water (and I mean lots), and eat lots of fiber. Try not to strain when going to the bathroom. I think (I'd double check with dr. first to be sure) that Tucks pads (that is, witch hazel) would be fine to use during pregnancy.

If it were me, I'd try the above things before moving on to more serious meds. But, I tend to be crunchy like that.

I hope you feel better soon.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Try Tucks pads and Preparation-H first, before the suppositories. 
  • Options

I would request to be seen by your regular doctor.  OB/Gyn's are not the physicians who treat these (simple ones your regular doctor and complex ones a colorectal or general surgeon) and you need to be seen.  If it is hemorrhoids the best initial treatment is to make your stool really loose with fiber and lots of water.  If it's a fissure, its the same.  With a fissure, there are medications that can be given that are safe in pregnancy as well.

ETA: Oh and sitting in a warm shallow bath for 20 min a few times a day bath also helps a lot (as long as you aren't soaking your belly in hot water it's ok).  But again, you need guidance from a physician who has actually looked at you.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Get your butt to a doctor who will listen to you. It is totally not worth having painful poos for an extended amount of time. I had an anal fissure after DD was born. It finally healed after about a year and a half of eating lots and lots of fiber.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Definitely go get checked out by a dr. I had this same issue a few weeks ago, and ended up in the ER because of severe pain. Turned out I had a thrombosed hemorrhoid and they gave me Anucort to help with it. I asked my RE about Anucort and he said it was fine to take during pregnancy. I finished my treatment about 2 days ago and I feel fine and my baby is fine from what we saw on the u/s. Definitely ask your dr about it, but from what I have been told anucort is fine to take.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • Options

I had hemorrhoids before I was pregnant and now that I am pregnant, I am going through the SAME thing you are! When I called my doc they also did the same thing.. I think that they want you to try and see if you can rectify the problem on your own before an exam...

Here is what I do to help:

• Eat lots of veggies
    • Take Metamucil on the days that my veggie intake is low (so that I ensure I am getting enough fiber)
    • Drink 1 gallon of water a day (it seems like a lot and will take time getting used to, but water really does help)
    • Go for 2 walks a day (exercise is good during pregnancy, especially to help with hemorrhoids)
    • Use Witch Hazel on the rectal area when there is bleeding/pain
    • NEVER force a bowel movement
    • Try not to sit for long periods of time
    • Take a bath (this is very soothing and can greatly help!)
    • Drink Prune Juice (it might taste nasty so you can always mix it with water to dilute or you can mix with another fruit juice). Just beware that this acts as a stimulant so only drink a little.. it just helps soften your bowels on days that it is hard to go to the bathroom.

Good luck, hun! It will get better. I still have slight hemorrhoids but not the bleeding anymore... you will see results within a week
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"