Food Allergy
Options

Food allergy-related depression.

Ugh, it SUCKS. I can't imagine what it's like as a young child. I do remember when my first serious allergies were discovered in my teens... navigating the waters of dating with life-threatening food allergies was awful.

Every time it's someone's birthday at work, there's a celebration. Someone in the department brings food and everyone sits around and talks and enjoys the food together. I try to remember on those days to bring a treat for myself (like the other day I brought a chocolate bar) but some days I wind up sitting there eating a freakin' fruit cup when everyone else is eating homemade cheesecake ice cream with a zillion toppings. 

But the worst is like it is right now--when I get to the point of frustration with eating the same foods OVER and OVER and OVER again. If I were 5, I'd be having a tantrum when faced with the dinner I'll be eating in a while (Tinkyada spinach spaghetti [rice pasta] with homemade marinara). Sounds good, but I eat it AT LEAST 2x/week. I'm tired of it! And breakfast? Ugh that is the worst. Oatmeal? AGAIN?!

This weekend I'll probably wind up pulling out my cookbook and whipping up a baked good or two and trying to make some new things... but I hate all the time I have to invest in creating or finding something "new." I hate that I can't go into our cupboards when I'm hungry and just grab a snack. I mean, I can, but my shelf has like 5 things on it... 

Sorry, just rambling and growling... Hopefully this weekend I can turn my food burn-out around.

Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015

Re: Food allergy-related depression.

• Options
    I'm with you on this one.  We have 3 parties to go to this weekend and I wont be able to eat 90% of the food.  Its going to be burgers and fruit again all weekend.  
                                                 Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I hear you.  I'm on an elimination diet right now.  Yesterday my co-workers went to Steak n'Shake for 1/2 price milk shakes in the middle of the afternoon.  Today there were fresh donughts in the breakroom.  I had a safe cereal bar and tea.  I never realized how much everything is related to food until I had to watch every bite I eat. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The only experience I have that can relate is in high school and again in college I had my jaw broken and was wired shut for 8 weeks.  I ate shakes for 8 weeks straight.  My variations were chocolate, or vanilla, maybe peanut butter.  Once in a while I craved salty food and would drink potato soup.  I remember the first day of school they were serving my favorite lunch and I just went to the bathroom and cried.  The first time I was around people eating, I cried. 

I try to keep that in mind when thinking about DDs feelings.  It just breaks my heart for her. 

I'm sorry for your depression.  It's eye-opening once you have someone close to you with allergies to see how much of our social life revolves around food. 

While I would never wish allergies on a child, I do wish every parent had a child with allergies - if that makes sense?  I just wish everyone could understand what we have to go through.

• Options

I know that overall I am very lucky with my allergies (they're easily avoided and I would have to eat a substantial amount for a reaction to be life threatening).

That doesn't mean that I ever enjoy them or would wish them on ANYONE - especially a child. It can be so frustrating to have to focus on food first and fun second at every function, get together, restaurant, holiday, pot luck, etc. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"