December 2012 Moms
Options

First Birthday-saying no to smash cake

Am i the only one who thinks smash cakes are silly and a waste?

They are fine for whoever wants them for their 1 y/os, but am I a bad mom for not planning to have one?

Re: First Birthday-saying no to smash cake

• Options
    When I first heard of it and saw the photos I thought it was silly and a waste, but reading the previous post that I assume inspired this post has made me kind of want one!  I won't be having one, but I can totally understand why people do them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    JessAnnJ said:
    One of my coworkers was telling me that her daughter thought you were supposed to smash the cake into the baby's face, so that is what she did.
    HAHAHHAHA I love this.

We're just doing a cupcake - and I'll probably only let her take 2 or 3 bites since it'll be dinner time and I don't want her on a sugar high when it's time for bed.
  • Options
    Not only will there be no smash cake, but the party will be small and simple. The only theme is "colorful."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    No smash cake for us. She will get a mini cupcake like everyone else.
    My stepmom gave her a huge piece of DSs bday cake, just to spite me I'm sure, and I didn't realize how big it was until too late. She was so sick that night, we were up with her crying until 2 that night. I'm avoiding the whole issue with mini ones so I can skip the drama.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I think we'll stick with a cupcake too....knowing DD, she'll be more interested in playing with it than actually eating it, so it'll be less mess for me to have to clean up later.

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• Options
    I love smash cakes because it is so funny watching to see if the kid is going to eat it. The last two birthday parties I went to, both kids didn't eat it and hated having that mess on their hands. I am getting the free cake that the grocery store give out for LO's first bday. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Yes, probably.  Just kidding!  I think full-size smash cakes are a waste.  I'm making mini-cakes for DD and her cousins.  It will be a little bigger than a cupcake.  I got a mini-doll cake tin that bakes up four mini cakes at a time.  I figured, with one girl and one on the way, I'll get my use out of the doll cake tin.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We ordered Rorys from SAMs club and all the guests are having cupcakes and Rorys has a five inch smush cake that came with the package, so not overly big for him either
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    When T turned 1, we just gave him a slice of cake. I couldn't see spending the money on a separate cake.
    photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think it's cute and silly and I more want to see what she does with it. I'm going to make her a healthy one!
    But I don't think you're wrong for not having one! To each his own.
    :D
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"