Pregnant after a Loss

Should you be doing that?

I've been so overly careful with everything that the only person who ever questions what I do is my mom. She was horrified at that one sip of wine, and looks worriedly at what I eat sometimes.

Anyway yesterday we were out celebrating her birthday (yay!) and I was getting what has become typical pain in my ribs. I don't know what it's from but I assume that because of my short torso-I'm carrying so high and that I have no visible rib cage anymore, just a giant bulge that begins directly under my boobs-that my ribs are getting smushed. The only thing that helps alleviate the pain is to kind of push on it, like I'm trying to move things down. My mom was like, Surprise "OMG should you be doing that?! You might hurt the baby, you're going to squish her!"

I don't think it will hurt her a bit but, what do you all think? Is she going to come out with a lopsided face now? And is anyone else dealing with this rib pain? I'll ask my doctor but for now it's just irritating, not debilitating. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Should you be doing that?

• I have to do the same thing. I didn't think a little "love smoosh" from us would cause any harm. But I get the whole idea of "um hello in there, can you please move down just a bit please?"

"You and me together can do anything, baby!!" DMB
    Married October 16th, 2010
    TTC #1 since October 2010
    1st BFP 1-12-11
    MC'd 1-22-11
    2nd BFP 2-15-11
    Our Wee One....**KENNEDY JO** born 10/3/11@ 36weeks via Csection
    My BFP Chart
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Labor Buddy to **MRS.ATCH** Welcome Quinn 11-5-11**
  • imageRachaelA:

I've had to start doing that this week. After I eat, Emmy starts to push up on my ribs and its super uncomfortable so I do the same thing and sorta try and push her down.

I hope you guys had fun on your mom's birthday! She's been in my thoughts!

Yeah it is always after I eat too! I am glad I'm not the only one. I am having to do very small meals and eating every hour or two or I get so uncomfortable. I can't believe she's going to get so much bigger, I already think we're running out of room!

Thanks for thinking of her, we were thrilled to celebrate another birthday, she's 58! We spent the whole day at the Huntington Library, which is this museum/botanical garden in Pasadena, and my brother and his now wife are still in town and came with us, so it was great, she got to have her whole family there. Smile

BTW I keep meaning to tell you I ADORE your baby's name, especially the nickname Emmy. That has been one of my favorite names for as long as I can remember, but I could never think of a good full name since Emmy is more of a nickname. Emery is so pretty, I just may copy you if we have ever another daughter Wink

• Loading the player...
  • Sounds like our LO's are sitting the same way. I am constantly pushing him/her down. It's just so uncomfortable. DH always tells me to stop, but I was never worried about hurting the baby. After being examined by my OB on Thursday, I am most definitely not concerned with giving LO a little push down every once in a while. He/She always fights back anyway!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• imageTeacherVicky:
    Sounds like our LO's are sitting the same way. I am constantly pushing him/her down. It's just so uncomfortable. DH always tells me to stop, but I was never worried about hurting the baby. After being examined by my OB on Thursday, I am most definitely not concerned with giving LO a little push down every once in a while. He/She always fights back anyway!

Yeah my OB grabbed her once and held her still so she could get a doppler reading. I don't think they're that fragile, and there's a lot of muscle and fluid protecting them in there. 

And you're right, they always push back anyway!

• Sorry to butt in since I have not posted here since the beginning of this pregnancy, but I just wanted to let you know that my doctor suggested the push-down technique when I complained of my rib pain. Baby should be just fine!
  • ambs21ambs21 member
    I pushed DD regularly when she got into a position that hurt.  She would move and give me some relief, if only for a minute.  She came out perfectly shaped!  I wouldn't worry a bit about that!
  • imagemegank27:
    Sorry to butt in since I have not posted here since the beginning of this pregnancy, but I just wanted to let you know that my doctor suggested the push-down technique when I complained of my rib pain. Baby should be just fine!

Oh thanks for sharing that's good to know! It does seem to work, if only for a little while.

• Nope, I know for a fact that pushing on the baby won't make her come out all squished!  When DS was in there, he headed in the opposite direction, and I had some major hip pain.  His head was constantly IN my groin - and my napropath used to stick her hand in there and push on him - HARD - to get him to move out of the way.  He came out just fine (although, his ears were just a little squished against his head for a couple of days!  LoL) 

Now DS #2 is basically sitting in the same place, and his head is often in my groin -- I've been doing the same thing to him to get him to move, since I no longer have the luxury of a napropath (darn insurance cuts!)

• Since babies are suspended in so much fluid, I doubt a little push causing them any harm or pain.
    BFP 1: 08Aug10, EDD: 14Apr11, D&E 11Sep10 BFP 2: 29Jan11, EDD: 12Oct11, DS born 07Oct11!!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just wanted to butt in and say how excited I am for you mom and celebrating another birthday with her!  Every year is a blessing.  I'm so glad you guys had such a great day.  Smile
    TTC #1 since 8/09
    BFP#1 - 9/2/10, EDD 5/14/11, Twins Hannah and Liam lost 11/7/10 @ 13w1d.
    BFP #2 - 2/9/11, EDD 10/13/11, LO lost 2/13/11 @ 5w4d
    BFP #3 - 5/9/11, DS born 1/13/12

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    ~*~My BFP Chart~*~Our Story~*~
    ~*~Labor Buddies with Sweet Turnip - Welcome Baby Girl 2/23/12 & Aluenna - Welcome Ivy 1/6/12~*~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"