Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Do Graco cribs suck?

I see Graco here, there, and everywhere. Is this the cheapo brand that everyone buys to save money? I really like the looks of this crib here, but is it low quality? I want a safe and sturdy crib that doesn't break the bank but the price is SO much lower than the cribs I have seen at BRU. If you have a Graco crib, please share your review. Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Do Graco cribs suck?

• Options
    They don't suck.  Baby Bargains recommends them actually.  There is no reason to spend hundreds of dollars on a crib IMO.  Kids will chew on cribs no matter how much they cost.  Graco cribs will be made of softer wood and can scratch more easily, but are still nice and safe.  We got a convertible crib, but probably won't even convert it.  Most toddlers can go straight to a twin bed and it's much cheaper to buy that than another crib if you plan on having a second child.
  • Options

We have that exact crib and love it. Ours is white.

My husband tested every crib at several stores by doing the thing a lot of guys do - pulling on the front and sides, pressing on the springs really hard, etc. He said it was the best one in terms of craftsmanship and durability. He didn't realize it was the least expensive crib. We paid $130 for it with a coupon.

After a year of use, we still love it. It has a very pretty classic look. We paired it with an antique white dresser to use as a changer. We put gummy teething strips along the top sides to protect the wood. Several people have commented on it and thought it was from Pottery Barn. I would never pay more than 200-300 for a crib. Kids are tough on furniture. We'll buy our kids more expensive items when they are mature enough to take care of them. Plus we'll be able to reuse the crib for each of our kids rather than buying a crib that converts to a big bed each time we have a child.

Hope this helps!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We have that exact crib too and we love it! Not that LO sleeps in it, LOL.

Ya Graco isn't really seen as high end but they are a quality brand. Maybe you should get a Consumerist Reports subscription. They rate a lot Graco items high.

• Options
    I have a graco and I like it enough.  Mine is older one (my son is 2) and it had the drop side that I had to convert to a nonmoving side.  So this made the sides really high, but they have changed that since.
  • Options

DH and I were looking at the same one in Cherry!  He found a deal at Walmart for the crib, mattress, and changing table for $250.  Not a bad deal!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-Lauren-4-in-1-Convertible-Crib-and-Changer-Bundle-Cherry/14932049

• Options
    I did a lot of research on them before deciding on it and they got great reviews and also a lot of moms on here told me they loved theirs. We just got the same crib you are looking at in espresso, our babies arent here yet but DH just put one together and it seems sturdy and looks great. I think a good crib and good mattress are things you want to be sure to do the homework on. GL
  • Options
    that's the exact crib we plan to get :)
    Jenn & Jason
    September 27, 2008
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    romiguromigu member
    i'm going to get either that one or the Graco Somerset.  Baby Bargains gives those cribs an A so that makes me feel confident in them. 
    imageimage
  • Options
    I love our Graco crib.  It looks high-end but without the price tag.  It even withstood DH standing in it while trying to apply some wall decals!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    we have the graco lauren with no complaints.  so much so that we bought a second one for lo on the way.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We have a graco sarah and it's very safe and we love it! 
    photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    If it's on the market for sale, then it was deemed safe. So I don't think that's something you have to worry about. As for quality...it's to be expected that something with a significantly lower price point is going to be lesser quality. The materials they use will be cheaper so it's affordable to the masses. If you like it and you're happy with the quality then go for it. I would disagree though with checking out Consumer Reports or Baby Bargains - both are useless in my opinion. They're for profit and they have an agenda so their "reviews" aren't really anything I'd put stock into. Just do what you want / like.
  • Options
    We bought the Graco - we're pretty frugal, but safety is a top priority and I feel confident that this crib is safe for a couple of reasons - it has very good reviews on all websites and the current safety standards for cribs are strict enough that all cribs on the market have to be of pretty good quality, so you can probably buy anything and at least be fine safety wise!
  • Options
    Can a couple people do a test for me on this crib.  I have not seen it in any stores and I would like to know if you have yours set up.  If you grab the front middle and shake it what happens?
  • Options

imageGirlWithTheMostCake:

If you like it and you're happy with the quality then go for it. I would disagree though with checking out Consumer Reports or Baby Bargains - both are useless in my opinion. They're for profit and they have an agenda so their "reviews" aren't really anything I'd put stock into. Just do what you want / like.

Consumer Reports is an independent non-profit consumer advocacy organization, hence the www.consumerreports.org and requests for donation on the site.  I agree Baby Bargains is kinda meh.  They lost me when they went on a on about how the chemicals in conventional mattresses have not been shown to have any health effects, which means they are making their recommendations based on not doing their homework.  Just liking something and not doing any research is not really a reliable way of making safe decisions IMO.

OP: We plan on using two Graco Lauren cribs in natural FWIW, though we have not yet assembled them.  Graco is otherwise known for making mostly plastic products for mass consumption.  We have a pack and play of theirs, which is great, but I personally am not a huge fan on their strollers, but others like them. 

TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

• Options

I sure hope it doesn't suck since its the one we have in the nursery (except in espresso). 

It came highly recommended by both Baby Bargains and other moms on TB.  Ours is good and solid and meets all the other safety requirements as well. 

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    We love our Lauren. So glad we didn't shell out more money for a piece of furniture that you only use for a few years.

11-15-08
    12-1-10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"