Preemies
Options

Donating BM

Hi!

I really would like to donate my breast milk.  Does anyone do this?  If so, who do you go through?

TIA!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers image image

Re: Donating BM

• Options
    I did! I had over 1000oz that I wasn't going to use, so I donated it. I donated through the human milk bank of north america (www.hmbana.org). I liked them because they gave first preference to NICU babies. They have a bunch of locations across the country. If you are close to one, you can drop off the milk. If not, they will pay to have you milk overnighted to them. They do have you do a blood test before you can donate. There are also milkshare programs, which I don't know much about, but people on the breastfeeding board will know more.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I did. I tried through the human milk bank (of new england) but they denied me because I was on labatelol due to pre-e. They do a whole medical history and you have to give blood. I was super bummed, but in turn found a group called "Human Milk 4 Human Babies" (https://www.hm4hb.net/) and was able to donate my milk to a child in need of breast milk there. I fully disclosed the fact that I was denied due to the medication and most of the people on there did not mind (especially because it is safe for breast feeding and they got 750oz+ for free). Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kck329kck329 member

Does your NICU have a milk bank? If so, I would start there. Mine gave me info for a milk bank that distributes to the NICUs across the state. Like PPs, I had to do a blood test and full medical history. They also asked for releases from my doctor and my DD's pedi.

Good luck! Its a great thing to do, they are always in need.

• Options
    imagekck329:

Does your NICU have a milk bank? If so, I would start there. Mine gave me info for a milk bank that distributes to the NICUs across the state. Like PPs, I had to do a blood test and full medical history. They also asked for releases from my doctor and my DD's pedi.

Good luck! Its a great thing to do, they are always in need.

same at my hospital. And what a great idea. It's because of people like you guys that helped out us who's milk didn't come in right away/at all. My boys were on donated BM for the first week or so.

MY FOUR ANGELS... M/C 12/26/02 AT 4 WEEKS M/C 12/31/07 AT 12 WEEKS, D & C M/C 12/5/08 AT 9 WEEKS, D & C ***BFP ON 3/26/09*** MARY REYNA BORN AND PASSED AWAY JULY 31ST, 2009 AT 23 WEEKS. GOODBYE SWEET BABY...I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER. ***AFTER 17 WEEKS ON BEDREST*** Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I did last year. I went through a local milk bank that my NICU told me about when we decided to take Aidan off the tubes. I donated around 100oz and it all went to preemies. I also had to do blood work and full medical history. It was one of the most amazing things I did since it was donated in Aidan's name.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    There are different ways to donate your breastmilk. You can donate through a milk bank- if you have one local it's a lot easier to do otherwise you may have to ship your milk which the milk bank usually pay's for but you'll need to get dry ice. You'll need to fill out paperwork ad your doctor and baby's doctor will be contacted to check on your health status. You'll also be required to have a blood test done and not be on any medications, certain ones must have been stoped so many days/weeks before pumping and such. Also your baby will need to be under 1 year of age actual. It can be a pain but it's worth it.

You can also donate through Eats on Feets or Human Milk 4 Human Babies on Facebook. There you will donate to other mothers who want milk for their babies for various reasons. There is no health screening, no forms and no blood testing. It's just whatever you work out with the other person.

I have donated through all three, donating 2000 ounces to my milk bank and another 1000 to two mothers with babies who needed milk :) It's a GREAT eperience to know you're helping out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"