Health & Exercise

Protein shakes...

So, talk to me about protein shakes please. I have never tried any. I honestly don't know much about it, so I have been researching and there is just so much out there. I was looking at this... https://www26.netrition.com/optimum_whey_page.html

I am currently training for my first 5K and have been trying to lose the extra baby weight while still maintaing a good BFing supply. I eat healthfully and try to eat lots of protein and low bad fats. I really want to try some protein shakes for while I am at work or in the mornings, etc. Which do you like? Recommend? What should I look for? Are there any I should avoid while BFing? TIA!

Re: Protein shakes...

• I can't recommend any because 1) I don't use them and 2) I am not BF yet.

I just wanted to tell you that unless you are not getting adequate protein through your regular diet, protein shakes are a waste of money. Your body only takes what it needs, and if it is getting what it needs from your diet, you will only be peeing the excess out. Therefore, many people don't realize that sometimes buying protein powders is as good as throwing your $$ down the toilet.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• MHP makes a good protein pudding from what I've heard... 

I use basic boring chocolate 100% whey protein from GNC's Pro Performance...  I usually mix it with a little milk to give it some creaminess.  I'll usually have it for breakfast. 

One thing you want to avoid is soy protein as there are other challenges that come with it. 

When it comes to the amount of protein to take in, when you're highly physically active the recommendations from the dieticians and nutritionists go out the window.  Usually it's about 1gram per pound of lean bodyweight (where you want to be)... For men it's 2grams of protein... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I used to be a personal trainer and used to sell protein and there are a few things that you really want to look for. Seeing that you're training for a 5K, a good, solid protein powder will be a great addition to your diet and won't be a waste of money. The components that you want to look for are calories, saturated fat, grams of protein per scoop, and carbs. My all time favorite that my husband and I use is the 100% Gold Standard Whey Protein by Optimum Nutrition. It comes in a lot of different flavors and has a decent protein to carb ratio.

I like to make smoothies in the morning consisting of frozen blueberries, frozen strawberries, peanut butter, skim milk, and 1 scoop of protein. It's super filling and keeps me satiated. Here's a link to the company's website. It's a little expensive, so if your wallet is on the tighter side, just be conscious of the nutrition when comparing different brands.

https://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/100-whey-gold-standard-p-201.html

Good Luck with your 5K!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I personally like Shakeology - its a meal replacement/protein/antioxidant/probiotic shake.  A full days worth of vitamins, minerals, fruits and veggies.  I'm a Personal Trainer too, and work in the fitness industry - Shakeology has made the difference, for me, when it came to losing 35 pounds of baby weight since my son was born.  Of course, if you're BF, no matter what supplement/shake you use, you'll want to get your Dr's approval, but both my OB during my pregnancy and my son's Pedi gave 2 huge thumbs up for Shakeology.  Check it out: **No Soliciting**
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket image
  • I drink a nutritional shake called Visalus Body by Vi 90 Day Challenge. It is 30% of your daily vit in one shake. Safe for pregnant and nursing moms. Tastes great and very filling. 4 different kits to chose from all depending on your goals.

www.506234.bodybyvi.com 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"