Preemies
Options

tired and frustrated

My LO is working on taking the bottle, he just started this week and has taken 14cc, 17cc, 27cc out of 30cc of breastmilk.  Well, today the nurse had to feed him (as opposed to the speech therapist).  The nurse seemed very uninterested in sitting there and being patient with LO and kept saying he was too tired..well, he ended up taking 12cc in 15 minutes, after which the nurse quit trying. And instead of putting 30cc in the bottle she put only 20cc.  I feel like she wasn't giving him a chance, like she set him up to fail basically.  I was so angry at her.  After she finished feeding him, she gave him to me and he was WIDE awake and sucking on his hand!  I am so frustrated...I know that if he doesn't take in as much as they want him to, they wont advance his feeds and thats one additional day in the NICU...I just want him to come home... so tired and frustrated :(
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimageimage

Re: tired and frustrated

• Options

There was a time when I could have written your post word for word. I actually had a nurse tell me one night that "He took 30 and I didn't feel like trying for the rest so I just put it down his tub. He needs encouragement to drink."

I was livid!

Are you allowed to feed LO? We always found that DS "performed" better for me over MOST of the nurses. And that was the key to getting him home, the nurses were huge advocates for me and those that we LOVED were always the ones who pushed DS to get the job done.

TTC #1 since 4/2007... MFI (low motility/low Testosterone) & PCOS IVF #1 August 2010...BFP 1st sono shows TWINS!!!! Due May 23rd 2011 Ruptured @ 21 weeks (Jan 13) Delivered 26 weekers (Blake and Addison) on Valentine's Day... Keeping faith and praying, God has a plan and we just have to learn to follow. Our Blog ... ourvalentinesdaysurprise.blogspot.com Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    OMG - it's like you're reading my mind. Feeding is the final hurdle for us and it's one step forward, two steps back.
    I'm sorry you're so frustrated. Like Jakes said, DS usually eats better for me than anyone else. Also, how often is your LO bottle feeding? My LO that is still in the hospital is at 4 per day. We switched from every other time to following his ques - rooting, sucking, wide awake. That's made a lot of difference for us.
    Hang in there!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kck329kck329 member

imagebhilyer:
    OMG - it's like you're reading my mind. Feeding is the final hurdle for us and it's one step forward, two steps back.
    I'm sorry you're so frustrated. Like Jakes said, DS usually eats better for me than anyone else. Also, how often is your LO bottle feeding? My LO that is still in the hospital is at 4 per day. We switched from every other time to following his ques - rooting, sucking, wide awake. That's made a lot of difference for us.
    Hang in there!

This made a big difference for us too. We were also allowed to bring bottles from home (not all NICUs allow this) and she seemed to do best with Dr Brown's preemie nipples. 

Feeding is SO hard because you are so close to coming home and it seems to take forever. Remember that you are a lot closer than you were last week and definitely stay on the nurses to do their part if you aren't there. They should give your LO the opportunity to finish every bottle!

• Options
    It is soooo hard to be positive, I know...but hang in there.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My 32 weeker is now 3.5!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"