November 2011 Moms

Just for fun....how did you meet?

How did you meat DH/SO?  I hope some of you have some more interesting stories than mine...we met on eharmony.  Best 50 bucks I ever spent, though Big Smile
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Just for fun....how did you meet?

• DH and I are high school sweethearts.  We met sophomore year in a class.  We started dating second semester senior year and have been together ever since.  We will be together for 8.5 years in August and married 4 years in August.

DH was my first and only boyfriend.  It seems weird sometimes, but I would never change it for the world.

Baby 2.0 
    BabyFetus Ticker 
     Maya 
    Our Family Easter 2014

My Blog

• We met in middle school but didn't start hanging out until high school when DH was a senior and I was a junior. That summer is when we made it official!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • When we were very young (I was 14, he was 18) he was my next door neighbor and we became friends.  Over a few years (and lots of maturing) we developed feelings for each other and began dating when I was 17.  We were married 4 years later and have been married for 7.5 years now and couldn't be happier! He always jokes and says he married the girl next door!

Mommy to 2 boys (age 3 and 6)

• I was out with girlfriends and he was out with the guys from work... we were both at a bar in Savannah, GA. Our eyes met across the room, I sat down to talk to him (he says I strutted over lol), then all his friends started hitting on me, so I was appalled. I then looked at him and said, "Wanna tour of Savannah?" And I showed him 'round Savannah till 3 am. We were engaged 3 months later... married 1 year and a 11 months ago after traveling abroad. Smile
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We met in third grade.  MH sat behind me in class and handed me a note that said "Will you be my girlfriend?  Check Yes or No" (complete with little boxes).  I checked no. 

It took 17 years, but he did ask me out again.  I said yes the second time. 

Visit My Twin Life 
  • I actually met SO through a guy I was crushing on in high school. They were best friends; SO had a girlfriend at the time and I was not at all interested. 3 years later he sought me out on Myspace and we started talking and now 4 years later it's baby time. 
  • Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • DH and I met almost 10 years ago at an Italian restaurant/bar near our college campus.  He proposed to me in the booth where we first flirted.  We will celebrate our 7th wedding anniversary this October!
    BabyFetus Ticker imageimageimage
  • imagejillanderick:
    When we were very young (I was 14, he was 18) he was my next door neighbor and we became friends.  Over a few years (and lots of maturing) we developed feelings for each other and began dating when I was 17.  We were married 4 years later and have been married for 7.5 years now and couldn't be happier! He always jokes and says he married the girl next door!

What a sweet story!

BabyFetus Ticker imageimageimage
  • We actually met in a bar, it was love at first sight we have been together for 12 years and married for 4. He is my soulmate, my best friend and he is the most amazing dad ever. We have a 2 year old daughter together. ?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I met DH about 11 years ago. We met through an online site that was about going to raves. We hit it off right away and I had the BIGGEST crush on him but he never made a move, I guess we were both shy. The last time I saw him was on my 18th birthday. We stayed in contact through email, myspace, then facebook. About 3 years ago we were both single at the time and I asked him if he wanted to go bowling. We went bowling and I got way too drunk too fast so I got dropped off at my house and he went home lol. We became inseperable after that and after 2 years we got married and now I'm carrying his baby. Best decision I ever made was to ask him to go bowling with me.
  • My husband and I both went to the same VERY small college in iowa and somehow we never ran into each other, despite being in the same grade and having a lot of the same friends! I had a profile on okcupid and he had been lurking on my page for a few days the week before we graduated.

The night before we graduated we were having a huge party on our dorm floor and i was incredibly drunk. i decided to check his profile again and he had is hometown listed as his actual hometown in Wisconsin, but he looked vaguely familiar so i took a chance went through our campus "stalker net" where everyone's photos are listed and sure enough there he was! Thankfully he has a last name that starts with an A.

I sent him and email inviting him over for the party in hopes that i would get one last hookup out of my college experience and he showed up at my door 15 minutes later. We hung out and talked and talked and talked the entire night from 11 pm to 6 am the next morning. I kept trying to make a move on him but he was completely oblivious. Nothing ended up happening (boo!). He went back to his room and we both graduated at 8 am. I was exhausted!

Later that afternoon i sent him another email and asked him to come over again. He showed up, but refused to come into my room (total weirdo), so we stood in my doorway for 4 hours and talked. He went back to his room and i sent a desperate email asking him to come back and hook up with me (i was very straightforward lol). 

He didn't get the email until he was at home in WI later that night. But he sent me an email back where he said that he liked me and that he'd really like to keep talking to me.

So we emailed and talked on IM & the phone for almost a month before we started "dating" and then we started driving to see each other every 3 weeks or so.

I moved up to Wisconsin (from nebraska) in Oct '07 (we graduated in May) and got my own apartment.

We moved in together Oct '08 and we've been married since May of 2010.

• The primitive version of online dating....

Blind Date!

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • We met at work! He worked a floor above me and was working on a project with my then-boss. He walked by my office for a few days just looking in, and then the next few days he would look into my office and smile or wave, and then finally one day he came in and introduced himself! A month or so after that he asked me out for coffee, and the rest is history :)  
    Mom to E, 11/2011 - Severe egg & dairy allergies, soy intolerance *** Stepmom to G, 2001
  • My husband and I met on some shared internet dating site - mine was through The Onion and his was through Austin 360.  We talked for two hours before I realized he was in Austin and I was in NYC.  I was hooked.  We met in person three months later after talking on the phone for hours each night, and I moved a month after that.  We've been together for nearly 6 years and married for nearly 2 years.  We are not spontaneous or adventurous people.  We just really make sense together.
    imageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • For all the romance that followed, it's summed up that we met in a bar lol. Well not exactly, I was waiting tables at a restaurant/bar and working with his mother and brother, and babysitting a mutual friends kids at my now brother in laws house. I met him there for the first time, and we didn't even speak. A couple of years later we met again when he joined  a big group of people including his mother at another restaurant/bar for dinner and it was all but instantaneous. We dated for 2 1/2 years, moved in together, and got married 2 years later. Lol that was 2 years ago and now we're expecting.
  • I met DH on a blind date on my 21st birthday!

DH was hoping to date my good friend / college roommate, who was a co-worker of his at the time. She already had a number of, er, suitors, let's say, and couldn't handle another... and she had the suspicion that he might get along much better with me than he would with her.

Meanwhile, I already had a date for the evening, but I wasn't terribly enthused about the guy -- he had a weird sense of humor, bragged a lot about his cars, and generally creeped me out. So I was more than happy to cancel on him at the last minute and go out with this mysterious co-worker of my friend's.

DH came prepared with a birthday card for me (signed "from that guy you just met") and a whole bunch of stuff planned for us to do. My roommate and one of her dudes met up with us and we went out for drinks, and then later on we went to this crazy piano bar, and sometime around 2 in the morning DH and I wound up being called to the stage to dance to a very dirty version of Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight" (we danced the to the original version at our wedding 4 years later). After that we went out to Waffle House ('cause that's just required if you live in Atlanta) and then he came up with all sorts of reasons why he absolutely HAD to drive me home.

It was cute. ;)

He eventually worked up the nerve to ask my friend / roommate for my number, and he called 2 days later so that we could have our second date.

We've now been together over ten years, and married for over six. 

• I actually met my DH at work! He's in the Coast Guard, but when we got stationed in NJ, he decided to get a part time job at Kohl's.. I was dating someone at the time (oops?) and paid no attention to him whatsoever for months until my manager (my FAV manager.. who was actually leaving to work for another company) let me in on the secret that apparently everyone knew but me!  So I had a bit of a heads up and we all went out to dinner with mutual friends from work and then DH let me know he had a crush on me.  It was a bit of a rocky start, but here we are.. 3 1/2 years later, been married for a little over a year, and a baby on the way. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • My husband and I only lived 10 miles apart growing up and went to neighboring school districts.  Without ever meeting, we went to the same church (very large church/large Sunday school classes) and also to the same college (he even lived a floor above me!).  We did not meet until my sister started working with him.  They were work friends and he would come over to watch movies with my sister and I.  She thought we would make the perfect couple and she was right!  That was 5 years ago and I can't imagine my life before or without him!

• 10yrs ago, my DH and I met on a blind date.  I was working on my Masters and didn't think that I had any time to date.  My friend said that her boyfriend's best friend from HS just moved into town and would I want to go out on a double date.  I said sure since it was a double date.  We all had such a good time and he was really nice.  So nice that I almost thought he wasn't my type (I had dated the bad boys in the past).  But I decided to go out on a second alone date with him anyway.  On our alone date, he became a bit braver and we had an awesome first kiss.  After that I decided that I could squeeze in a boyfriend while getting my degree.  We were married 3yrs later and have been married 7yrs.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageHokieLaw:

We met in third grade.  MH sat behind me in class and handed me a note that said "Will you be my girlfriend?  Check Yes or No" (complete with little boxes).  I checked no. 

I love that this story is really out there. How awesome!
  • imageHokieLaw:

We met in third grade.  MH sat behind me in class and handed me a note that said "Will you be my girlfriend?  Check Yes or No" (complete with little boxes).  I checked no. 

awww how cute are you!  DH and I met at work, I started there in 2001, he started in 2004.  I was on days and in the office, he was on nights and in the warehouse so our paths didn't cross until late 2005.  He asked me out in Apr 2007, we were married by Sept 2008.  When ya know, you just know! Big Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary
  • DH and I met through Yahoo! Messenger! He was actually talking to my best friend at the time, but they weren't each other's "type" so she decided I needed to talk to him. I invited him to come shoot pool with us and fell in love with him that night at the country bar. (There's nothing like a boy in boots and Wranglers spinning you around the dance floor!) 
    Mommy to Acklin James 10/29/11
  • We met 13 years ago on a 2-week geology field trip when we were both in our 3rd year of university (yes, we're both geologists). I had a crush on him from the start, but DH was dating someone else at the time and wasn't looking for anyone. His girlfriend broke up with him that summer. He was devastated (involving a whole other story about 7 years of his emotional recovery from that. No drugs or alchohol, just a brick wall around his heart). We met again that fall at another geology conference and dated for about 6 months, until we both graduated and moved to very different parts of the country.

Despite how terrible our start sounds, we stayed very good friends and were in contact frequently through our Master's degrees, changing jobs, and changing partners. I lived with two other guys in that time, he had a couple of girlfriends and moved around a bit. Whenever something big came up in our lives (relationships, jobs, moves), we would always call each other first - maybe we should have taken a hint.

About 5 years ago, we were both single at the same time and I wanted a travel buddy, so I invited him to go to Mexico with me. A big, tall guy is a sure deterrent for any strange locals who might want to interfere with a small foreign girl. Anyways, things progressed from there and we started long-distance dating. I lived in Calgary and he lived in Thunder Bay (about a 3-hour flight apart), so we spent a lot of time flying back and forth.

Two years ago he proposed, saying that we could be married even if we lived in separate cities. I didn't really agree with this, but we couldn't decide who would move. Neither of us was willing to give up our career, nor were we willing to ask the other person to do so, so our agreement was that whoever lost their job first would move (both petroleum and mining were looking a little shaky in 2008 and early 2009). Fortunately for us, my company laid me off after a major merger, along with at least half my department. They gave me a huge severance package, so I was able to afford to move AND pay for a wedding! I moved in the fall of 2009. We were married last summer. DH owns his own geological consulting firm with two of his friends and they hired me on, so now we work together.

• imageellehinck:
    How did you meat DH/SO?  I hope some of you have some more interesting stories than mine...we met on eharmony.  Best 50 bucks I ever spent, though Big Smile

match.com :) you're right...totally worth the $$! :) 

TTC #1 since 4/10 Clomid 2/11, tube check= BFP @18dpo (would not pee on anything earlier!) Due 11/14/11! BabyFruit Ticker</a
  • A few years after college, I went to a party with my ex (we were still friends) with some old college friends.  DH was a roomate.  I wasn't very talkative, but he thought I was cute and asked if I would be his partner in beer pong...he said he had just come from work (he was wearing a black and white striped referee shirt) and I asked: "Oh!  Do you work at Foot Locker?"  Uh no.  He was refereeing an actual basket ball game.  Whoops...  He asked me out anyway and we went on a date.

That was it.  I didn't speak to him again for 9 months.  (my choice)

9 months later I received an email (granted, it was a mass email, but I was on it!) from him.  I responded apologizing for my behavior 9 months earlier, and I wanted to see if he was interested in going out again.  To this day he swears that sending that email to me was an accident. 

We've been together ever since!  10 years this October, and married for 4!

• I had gone out a few times with a trainer from the gym and it was just fun, no "real" connection. 

I got an email on MYSPACE (omg..hanging my head in shame) from a random guy who was just saying that I looked like this actress he'd seen on TV and he knew that I didn't know him from Adam and didn't expect a response.  So I clicked on his page and he was friends with this guy from the gym along with a bunch of other people I knew from the gym so I replied.  Of course I'd checked up on him by talking to all of these guys at the gym (who worked there and happened to be his childhood friends) and they all said he was a great guy so I figured it was safe and we met up after emailing for a few months!

• We dated in 8th grade for a month. We ran in different crowds in high school, but every few years after HS we would run into each other randomly around the city. Then FB came into the picture an he reached out under the guise of "networking". Slowly we became friendly as he was coming out of a long relationship, within the year we were really dating. A year and half after that BFP!
  • imagespacey281:
    My husband and I met on some shared internet dating site - mine was through The Onion and his was through Austin 360.  We talked for two hours before I realized he was in Austin and I was in NYC.  I was hooked.  We met in person three months later after talking on the phone for hours each night, and I moved a month after that.  We've been together for nearly 6 years and married for nearly 2 years.  We are not spontaneous or adventurous people.  We just really make sense together.

spacey281: Somehow I missed that you are in Austin.....I am too--love it here! I love your exercise posts. I've been a lot lazier lately, despite the fact that I stayed super active through the first tri.

My husband and I met in San Antonio my last semester of college. He had moved there for a job and was neighbors with one of my college friends. 3 months after meeting we moved to San Francisco together. We were both feeling the post-college romance adventure bug.

• Adult social kickball league.  I was the pitcher, he was the umpire. Swoon!
  • DH and I met 10 years yesterday! We were in college and had been living about 100 yards  away for 2 years but never met. I was about a month away from graduating. I was packing my car to begin taking things home to my mom and dad's house when I saw a friend of mine playing frisbee in the lawn across the street from my house with a very tall, good looking guy. Needless to say I had to go say hello! I attempted to play frisbee (DH says at the time he was thinking 'she's cute, but I wish she would quit throwing the frisbee because she's really bad!')

That night I was suposed to be going home an hour away to my parent's house but the guys talked me into staying in town and hanging out with them. We went to a bar and the chemistry was obvious from day 1. I graduated in August, moved to New York with him the following January, was engaged in March and got married the following August. Talk about a whirlwind! 10 years later we are still best friends and I'm baking baby #3!

• PS- I love everyone's stories!!!Yes
  • imageellehinck:
    we met on eharmony.  Best 50 bucks I ever spent, though Big Smile

This! I agree it doesn't make for the best "how we met story" but it's worth having a boring story to have an awesome marriage :-)

• J8CashJ8Cash member

We met through a mutual friend when during the summer in between my sophomore and junior year of high school (DH is a year older than I am). The friend and I went to HS together and DH grew up next door to him. The friend and I were in the same church youth group and we went on a summer weekend camping trip to King Island (a theme park near Cincinnati, OH). DH came as a guest to my friend and the rest is history. 

We started going on dates after we got back from that trip and the rest is history! This August we will have our 9 year dating anniversary! Man-oh-man does time fly :o)

• At a bar, on the dance floor. 

imageimage
  • We first met as freshmen in high school.  We were both band geeks.  I was the homely girl with the "nice personality".  He looked like the stereotypical nerd straight out of a high school comedy...only he looked about 10 years old.  I had never been so mentally intimidated by anyone ever.

I had some serious misconceptions though.  First of all he was younger than me, but only by about 9 months.  Secondly, he was every bit as smart as I "feared".  But he turned out to be pretty humble about it.  Some people read him the wrong way so that even his efforts to be sincere (like wishing his fellow french horn players "good luck" before seating auditions) were taken as a form of gloating (he was the one everyone else wanted to beat).  But those who knew him best would say he very rarely gloated for real.  And if he ever did brag a little, it was usually to people who would genuinely feel happy for him.

We weren't sweethearts though.  Far from it.  But we did have a bit of a "friends with benefits" relationship.  And by that I mean, we were always each other's "slow dance" partners at the school dances.  We agreed we'd take each other to prom and homecoming if we didn't find ourselves dating anyone at the time.  But we were never attracted to each other romantically so the "benefits" we extended to each other were more for the purpose of surviving the high school social jungle than anything else the term usually means.  Or else we would have both been a pair of chronic wallflowers.

In college we still kept in touch.  He asked me if I wanted to actually would like to try a dating relationship.  I said no (still wasn't romantically interested) and things went on for the next few months as if he never asked.  Then my mom had to make some comment about "if you can't date your best friend who can you date?".  So I (still romantically uninterested) agreed to give this exclusive relationship thing a try.

Well...what can I say?  I ended up falling for him pretty hard.  We were married in November 2008.

• imagePhCaulfield:

imagespacey281:
    My husband and I met on some shared internet dating site - mine was through The Onion and his was through Austin 360.  We talked for two hours before I realized he was in Austin and I was in NYC.  I was hooked.  We met in person three months later after talking on the phone for hours each night, and I moved a month after that.  We've been together for nearly 6 years and married for nearly 2 years.  We are not spontaneous or adventurous people.  We just really make sense together.

spacey281: Somehow I missed that you are in Austin.....I am too--love it here! I love your exercise posts. I've been a lot lazier lately, despite the fact that I stayed super active through the first tri.

My husband and I met in San Antonio my last semester of college. He had moved there for a job and was neighbors with one of my college friends. 3 months after meeting we moved to San Francisco together. We were both feeling the post-college romance adventure bug.

Thanks!  I've been way lazy the last week.  I just can't seem to find my motivation.  That always happens when I take a couple days off :)

When did you move to Austin?  It's a great city.  

imageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We went to the same high school...just not at the same time.  He graduated when I was in 8th grade, so we just missed being in high school together.  Anyway, right after I graduated, I went to a welcome home party for my friend who had graduated early to go to the Marines and was now back for a visit.  My husband was there because he is really good friends with my friends brother.  We talked all night...literally!  I think at 6 am he said he had to leave.  I was so upset, especially since he never got my number.  Turns out, he did get my number, just not from me.  He asked one of our mutual friends for my number.  The next day, I had a text asking if I was still alive (we were both pretty drunk at the party).  We started dating and after about 2 weeks we officially became "boyfriend and girlfriend" .  Then he tells me that, by the way, he is going through a divorce and has a 2 year old daughter!  I was in shock!  I never thought I would date anyone that had a kid or had been married.   But I liked him too much so I took the chance.  Within 6 months, I moved in with him.  We were in a serious relationship but didn't get engaged for 6 years!  We have now been together for 8 years, married for 2!  And I'm so glad I took that chance.  :)
  • High school sweethearts here. I was a freshman and he was a junior. He was in a math class with my best friend, and she was thinking of setting him up for the Homecoming with one of our mutual friends. When I was telling her how I didn't think I was going because I didn't have a date, she decided to introduce me to him. I still remember walking by his locker and waving hi for the first time! We've been best friends and in love ever since. I even have a picture! ;)

• (Sorry, got on late tonight)

DH and I actually met outside of bar but we didn't have a good first impression.  He and his friends were talking their "cop talk" and my drunken self over heard and decided to tell this group of unknown men that I effin hate cops!  Smart, I know... but at least they weren't in uniform.  Zip it!  I had just dated a (different) cop a few months prior, and he stopped calling out of no where, so I was a little bitter.  Low and behold, DH and I ended up at the same house party after the bar -- turns out we had a mutual friend.  We really didn't talk much at the party but he still asked for my number anyways.  That will be 9 years ago, the weekend of Thanksgiving!  Ironically, DH worked for the city's PD when we first met but he later applied to townships and boroughs to make more money and be in a safer environment.  He actually got his current position because the first cop left to go to the secret service and he filled his spot. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"