February 2011 Moms
Options

Cereal question

Ok this is day two of feeding DS cereal and he is doing great. But I'm confused on how much to make and what not. I thought the directions on the box would be much easier for me to figure out..but apparently I'm dumber then I thought! It says 1 tbsp. of the cereal and 4-5 tbsp. of formula. Is that powder? My mom said no. Well oops messed that up. So she said when I was a baby she did the cereal then made my bottle and put liquid formula in it. Ok. Which it does say on the box for baby and then liquid breastmilk or formula. But you def can't do 1 tbsp. of cereal with 4-5 tbsp. of liquid. I'm totally confused. How much do you give your LO? I need some help.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Cereal question

• Options
    I have been mixing the 1tbs of cereal with 4-5tbs of mixed formula (about 1oz.)  My doc also said you can mix the cereal with water or fruit or veggies.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We haven't started cereal yet, but from what I've read on here, it seems that the box directions make the cereal too liquidy.  Most people have recommended just adding enough breastmilk or formula until it seems like it's a good consistency to stay on the spoon and not run right out of LO's mouth.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My LO likes it thicker than the box suggest. And he also doesn't eat that much of it right now so I make it with 1tsp of cereal and 3 tsp of mixed liquid formula.  Put it in the microwave for 8 seconds stir it up really good and he eats away.  When his appetite gets a bit bigger I'll up it to tablespoon.
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
  • Options

imagechristyp80:
    We haven't started cereal yet, but from what I've read on here, it seems that the box directions make the cereal too liquidy.  Most people have recommended just adding enough breastmilk or formula until it seems like it's a good consistency to stay on the spoon and not run right out of LO's mouth.

Yup.

When we tried cereal a few times I made it a lot thicker than according to their instructions. I never measured, just put the tablespoon in the dish and added formula to the consistency I wanted.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Madi has been on cereal for over a month now because of reflux but since her tongue was not able to pull the food back (hence why babies don't typically get cereal till about 4-5 months) we use a cereal bottle.  She LOVES it and can feed herself with this bottle.  Anyway, she likes it pretty milky so I use the scoop from a previous container of good start, put 2 or 3 scoops in the bottle (depends on how hungry I think she is) and then I make a 4 oz bottle.  I put apx 1 oz of formula in the cereal, sometimes a little more to get it runny and then feed her the cereal and then I give her the left over bottle I made.  Almost no throw-up and her reflux (with meds) is gone!!!!

We have started her on regular baby food (carrots and squash) so she is learning to eat off a spoon but for now I will stick with the cereal bottle because it allows her to feed herself and I can get ready or do what I need to do in the mornings until I sit down with her to feed her the regular bottle. 

2nd EDD 02/01/13 - MC 5 1/2 weeks 6/5/12. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    The first couple of times I fed the cereal I did the 1tbsp of cereal to 4-5 tbsp of formula. As L got more accustomed to thicker cereal, I give her a 7oz bottle of formula as needed. Whatever is left of that (if anything, I make into cereal and mix a fruit or veggie into it). If there is nothing left I make an extra oz of formula and make cereal out of that and mix in the fruit or veggie. Usually she eats less than half of it. We do 3 small cereal/solid feedings a day, at breakfast, lunch, and dinner time. She still gets 5-6 7 oz formula feedings a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"