Houston Babies
Options

Anyone has experience with Texas' Early Childhood Intervention?

DD had her 15-month check-up today. She's huge (every single measure is off the charts), but the Dr. suggested a visit by Texas' Early Childhood Intervention (ECI)

Apparently, DD should be doing the following things, but she's not

Have a vocabulary of minimum 3 words

Put objects inside containers (She takes things out, but doesn't put things in)

Using some common objects properly: hairbrushes, phones, combs, etc

Trying to scribble

Drinking from a cup without help

So, I called ECI today and they said they'd call back next week to schedule the appointment

Does anyone have experience with ECI? How long does it take to get an appoinment? What happens during the appointment? 

Any info would be much appreciated.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Anyone has experience with Texas' Early Childhood Intervention?

• Options

Hang in there!!!

My DD (now 8) recieved ECI services beginning at 15 mos due to severe speech delay.

I will say there are several agencies that provide the services depending on where you live and what each can offer is varied.  Let that not mean that any are sub-par, just some agencies in populous dense areas or that cover much of the outskirts are stretched thin and may only see you and DD 1x a week or biweekly.  You may luck out and live in an area with fantastic resources be seen more often.  but here is what you can expect either way....

A comprehensive evaluation of your DD's current skills in ALL areas of development, this will include interviewing you (and any other care giver you have present) and extensive activities with DD that are very play-based and age appropriate.  This will be followed up with a briefing of the initial findings.  At this time they will probably let you know if DD will qualify for services, and if so what kind and how often...alternatively they may give you a date in a few days that a desicion will be made if they feel her case needs reviewed (slight delays).

If she qualifies they will set a schedule with you, or have the person who will be visiting her contact you to do so.

If she does not (no significant delays) they usually will provide resources for you to work from on how to catch her up, support groups, and ideas for activities in key areas (if they don't just ask).

When services begin they will be at your/caregiver home or daycare based on what you have establised with her interventionist.  She will likely be re-evaluated in 6 months to measure progress and determine continued need for services.  If she continues approaching her 3rd bday they will help you with the transition to PPCD through the local school district.

What you will find are very child-centric highly knowledgable professionals who build relationships with you and your DD and are truly vested in her progress.

I know this was long but I want you to know you are doing the right thing and if you have any more ?'s please pm me as I am both a parent and teacher of special needs children and have run this play through every angle :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I want to say it took about a week or two to get the 1st appointment which is just a general "intake" appointment where someone comes out and evaluates if they feel your child needs to be evaluated for services.   THEN it took about another MONTH to get the evaluators to run the tests they needed to see if your child passes or not, if they don't pass then they qualify for services.

Mason did not pass but based on 3 yr old level things (he was just over 2 at the time) and the evaluators said they didn't feel that he would benefit from services.  I now wish we would have done services anyway because last month he started regressing in speech and stuttering.   Because he will be 3 in July there is not enough time to start the ECI process all over and we are now having to go through private speech therapy.  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageBritanyV:

I want to say it took about a week or two to get the 1st appointment which is just a general "intake" appointment where someone comes out and evaluates if they feel your child needs to be evaluated for services.   THEN it took about another MONTH to get the evaluators to run the tests they needed to see if your child passes or not, if they don't pass then they qualify for services.

Mason did not pass but based on 3 yr old level things (he was just over 2 at the time) and the evaluators said they didn't feel that he would benefit from services.  I now wish we would have done services anyway because last month he started regressing in speech and stuttering.   Because he will be 3 in July there is not enough time to start the ECI process all over and we are now having to go through private speech therapy.  

If he is about to turn 3 you could have him tested by your local school district to see if he qualifies for PPCD. There are MANY kids who do qualify for PPCD based on speech only. And if he doesn't qualify for the 1/2 day program, he may qualify for just speech services 1-2 x week with a speech path in your district.

Photobucket
  • Options

Yes, and recently.  I called probably the beginning of April or late March.  It took a few days to get a call back.  They called and got more information and then about a week after theat a scheduling person called to schedule the actual evaluation.  That was around April 20.  DD started speech therapy beginning of May. 

At the eval they just watched DD play and interact at home with us (but they will go to a daycare if she is there).  They asked questions throughout and then after they had enough information they sat down and told us where she "scored" and what they recommended.

I will tell you that may throw around the word autism several times.  It scared me to death - like I may have been blind to something.  Since then DD has been fully avaluated by Humble ISD and she is definitely not autistic, just really behind in speech.

Feel free to ask me anything.  Also, kudos for you for calling.  Some parents put on blinders and do their child a disservice.  I only wish I had called sooner and maybe DD wouldn't be so far behind (11 months).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't know anything about ECI, but just wanted to ask, you and your DH are bilingual, right?  Do you speak both English and Spanish at home?  (Or Spanish at home but English out?)  I have read that children of bilingual parents tend to say their first words later than children raised in monolingual houses (because they are busy processing two languages) but in the long run being raised bilingual from the start does phenomenal things for their little brains.  I don't know if this applies to your family or if you already knew that, but I just wanted to mention it because if it does apply, it might ease your mind a little.  Good luck to you and hugs.  :)
    My big boy is bounding towards 4! Baby brother coming in October!
    Hipster dog is not impressed.
  • Options
    imageNanner22:
    imageBritanyV:

If he is about to turn 3 you could have him tested by your local school district to see if he qualifies for PPCD. There are MANY kids who do qualify for PPCD based on speech only. And if he doesn't qualify for the 1/2 day program, he may qualify for just speech services 1-2 x week with a speech path in your district.

Who do I contact at the school district to set up testing?   Do I just call the local elementary or would there be a certain position in the school district to look for to call?   I definitely want to try through the school district at some point.  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • Options
    imageBritanyV:
    imageNanner22:
    imageBritanyV:

Who do I contact at the school district to set up testing?   Do I just call the local elementary or would there be a certain position in the school district to look for to call?   I definitely want to try through the school district at some point.  

Call your local elementary, or check the district website for the Special Education Dept since it is summer.  Intake happens year round and now is the time.  Law saws district must provide services free of charge to a qualifying child from the time they are 3 yrs old.  The saying is 3 mean 3, meaning no matter what time of year they turn 3, they become the responsibility of the public shools to serve or determine needs.  You may still seeks outside therary as wee, but contact the district to set up testing and find out what DS will qualify for through them.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagehdmeza:
    imageBritanyV:
    imageNanner22:
    imageBritanyV:

Call your local elementary, or check the district website for the Special Education Dept since it is summer.  Intake happens year round and now is the time.  Law saws district must provide services free of charge to a qualifying child from the time they are 3 yrs old.  The saying is 3 mean 3, meaning no matter what time of year they turn 3, they become the responsibility of the public shools to serve or determine needs.  You may still seeks outside therary as wee, but contact the district to set up testing and find out what DS will qualify for through them.

He doesn't turn 3 until July, should I still call now to set something up for after he is 3 or wait until he actually is 3?  

• Options
    imageBritanyV:

This. I will post more when I have time but I was very upset how long it took to get seen. I could have went to our own physical therapist instead of waiting MONTHS to be seen. Apparently I fell in some black hole, they claim but now I'm not too sure. 

I think it is a wonderful program for those who do not have insurance need to be seen by someone etc but I wish we would have seen our own PT. 

• Options

I have no experience with ECI, but I have a question about the skills you list. Properly use common objects? Like she should be able to really brush her hair or just hold it and pretend to brush even if the bristles are facing the wrong way? And does drink from a cup mean hold the sippy themselves? Or drink out of a real cup by themselves?  Because my 20mo plays at brushing his hair, but doesn't understand that he's holding it upside down.

My other question is, have you shown her how to do these things? I know that DD did not scribble at that age... but that's because I had never ever given her a crayon or anything. So we couldn't check that off the list, but it was my "fault" not a problem for DD, ya know? It never occured to me to give her crayons until after the pedi asked about it. Just a thought, didn't know if something similar might apply to you.

- Jena
  • Options

Ian was referred at 18mos b/c he still wasn't walking.  It took 2wks for them to come out and do the intake evaluation.  Between intake and his first appt with a therapist, he started walking.  I met with his assigned therapist at the daycare and she had NO NOTES on Ian not walking - meaning, whoever did the intake paperwork totally left that off.  Instead she put that he was behind in speech (which he wasn't) and a picky eater (which he really wasn't, just typical toddler food jags and assertion of independence - "NO Ian no like grilled cheese!" even though he did).

We participated in the program for 6mos before I decided the services were just wasted on us and could go to someone else who needed them worse, and canceled.

"If I'm goin' down, I'm goin' down loud." -John Evans Tweet me
  • Options
    imageBritanyV:
    imagehdmeza:
    imageBritanyV:
    imageNanner22:
    imageBritanyV:

He doesn't turn 3 until July, should I still call now to set something up for after he is 3 or wait until he actually is 3?  

Call now!  DD doesn't turn 3 until September and our school district has already done an evaluation.  Granted, they want to do another in August (closer to her bday to see if there has been any change) but the sooner they get to working with you the better. 

Also, I don't know what you do for childcare or if you need it but I do know that if you have a "diagnosis" from your district's PPCD program your child has a much greater chance of getting into a headstart program (regarless of your income) if that is something you are interested in but you need the diagnosis from the schools before you can apply.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagejen5/03:

I have no experience with ECI, but I have a question about the skills you list. Properly use common objects? Like she should be able to really brush her hair or just hold it and pretend to brush even if the bristles are facing the wrong way? And does drink from a cup mean hold the sippy themselves? Or drink out of a real cup by themselves?  Because my 20mo plays at brushing his hair, but doesn't understand that he's holding it upside down.

My other question is, have you shown her how to do these things? I know that DD did not scribble at that age... but that's because I had never ever given her a crayon or anything. So we couldn't check that off the list, but it was my "fault" not a problem for DD, ya know? It never occured to me to give her crayons until after the pedi asked about it. Just a thought, didn't know if something similar might apply to you.

Not really brush her hear. Pretend would count, even if she did it with the bristles are facing the wrong way. She doesn't do this, she just wants to shake, bang, or bite everything

And the cup is drinking from a real cup - with no lid, no valve, no straw, no handles - unaided. 

She has tons of crayons that we've gotten from several different restaurants. She just wants to eat them.

I thought that the lack of pretend scribbling may have to do with the fact that DH and I never write. We always us computers and smartphones for everything.

ECI says that they'll call in a week to schedule the appointment. Now, it's just waiting. 

• Options

imageSuzi-G-:
    I don't know anything about ECI, but just wanted to ask, you and your DH are bilingual, right?  Do you speak both English and Spanish at home?  (Or Spanish at home but English out?)  I have read that children of bilingual parents tend to say their first words later than children raised in monolingual houses (because they are busy processing two languages) but in the long run being raised bilingual from the start does phenomenal things for their little brains.  I don't know if this applies to your family or if you already knew that, but I just wanted to mention it because if it does apply, it might ease your mind a little.  Good luck to you and hugs.  :)

You're right. Spanish only at home and English at daycare. This may have something to do with the speech delay. We'll have to get her evaluated by a speech pathologist to make sure that there's no physiological cause for the delay. 

And we may have to stop speaking Spanish to her if it's causing her to miss other milestones. A friend had to do that because her children couldn't cope with the two languages and were severely delayed in language at age 3.

Thanks! 

• Options
    imageBin:

Call now!  DD doesn't turn 3 until September and our school district has already done an evaluation.  Granted, they want to do another in August (closer to her bday to see if there has been any change) but the sooner they get to working with you the better. 

Also, I don't know what you do for childcare or if you need it but I do know that if you have a "diagnosis" from your district's PPCD program your child has a much greater chance of getting into a headstart program (regarless of your income) if that is something you are interested in but you need the diagnosis from the schools before you can apply.

Ok, I'll call tomorrow!   I'm a sahm so we just do MDO, which we may not be able to do this fall because someone is being stubborn and won't potty train.  Sad

• Options
    imageBritanyV:
    imageBin:

Ok, I'll call tomorrow!   I'm a sahm so we just do MDO, which we may not be able to do this fall because someone is being stubborn and won't potty train.  Sad

The Headstart program will take kids not potty trained so if you can't do MDO that may be an option.  I believe they are or have a part time program.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"