Success after IF

IUI success with low sperm count?

So I went in for IUI #1 today. It's hard to believe that DH and I have been ttc for 15 months now. We have been waiting months for this day ever since back in August/September of last year we were told he only had 1 million little guys in there and at a very low motility. We were told IVF was our only option but there was NO way to afford it. We have been working so hard to get his swimmers up to a level which will allow us to try IUI and we finally made it! Party!!!

However.. it could have gone a little smoother. DH had a hard time getting enough out (he told me this after the fact) so it was a surprise when the RN said that they only got 7 million (we were expecting closer to 12). Ah well, the motility was at 85% which is an even bigger improvement from the last check he had when it was at 75%. I am trying to stay positive and think that it only takes 1 little guy, but part of me is cautious. I know I will be a wreck if this doesn;t work out.

Has anyone here had successful IUIs with low sperm counts? How many IUIs did you need? How many follicles did you have? I think I only had one, but I may have had two.

Thanks ladies!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
TTC since March/April 2010
DX: MFI - less than 1 million sperm, 26% motility
DH put on anastrozole to increase counts
June/July 2011 100 mg Clomid + TS IUI#1 & IUI 2 - BFN :-(
Forced break due to DH getting spinal surgery in August 2011
IVF - January 2012: BFN
FET in April 2012 - BFP at 6dp5dt! Beta #1 at 9dp5dt: 82.5, Beta #2 at 12dp5dt: 352 Beta #3 at 19dp5dt: 6000, saw heartbeat and one little bean at 5W6D!
After nearly 3 years of waiting our LO was born December 18th 2012!

Re: IUI success with low sperm count?

• KahanaKahana member

My current prengancy was from IUI #4.  I had 3 mature follicles and only 5 mil post wash sperm.  I was not hopeful at all!!  I am now sitting here very pregnant with twins :)

Good luck!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DS was a result of b2b IUIs with 9 mil and 5 mil post wash counts.  I had 5 follies (21, 16, 16, 15, 15).  7 million is really good.. my RE is looking for 5.  Good luck!
    imageimageimage
    TTC #1: IUI #2 = BFP , Betas 550 (16 dpiui), 1523 (18 dpiui)
    Hypothyroid, LPD, FSH 13.0, TTC 2 yrs B4 BFP

TTC #2: FSH 23, AMA, IUI 1, 2, 3 = BFN, IVF #1 = MC
    IVF #2 = BFP - Betas 194 (14dp2dt), 366 (16 dp2dt), 841 (18 dp2dt)
    (vanished twin ~7 weeks)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Was your count post wash? I'm pregnant now from my 3rd IUI. First one resulted in DD, second tuned out ectopic, and 3rd is due in November. My DH initial counts were great, but post wash was between 5-9mil. It only takes one! Best of luck to you. Keep us posted!!!
    siggy should be here!
  • Thanks so much ladies. Yes, it was 7 million post wash. That makes me feel better. Only thing is that I believe I only had one follie (I could have had 2, but I am not sure if the 2nd was mature). Don't know thoigh because they didn't measure before the IUI, they just did it. Anyhoo, it gives me some hope that if this one doesn;t work, maybe they can put me on a higher dose of clomid to make more follies for next cyle. Ugh, this 2ww is agony and it's just begun! LOL
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    TTC since March/April 2010
    DX: MFI - less than 1 million sperm, 26% motility
    DH put on anastrozole to increase counts
    June/July 2011 100 mg Clomid + TS IUI#1 & IUI 2 - BFN :-(
    Forced break due to DH getting spinal surgery in August 2011
    IVF - January 2012: BFN
    FET in April 2012 - BFP at 6dp5dt! Beta #1 at 9dp5dt: 82.5, Beta #2 at 12dp5dt: 352 Beta #3 at 19dp5dt: 6000, saw heartbeat and one little bean at 5W6D!
    After nearly 3 years of waiting our LO was born December 18th 2012!
  • 2nd IUI, 2 million postwash count. Good luck!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hoping to revive this thread as I am in the same boat. Just had our first IUI last week (currently 5dpiui). I had 3 mature follicles (29, 22, 17) but found out after my husband gave a sample that he had low sperm count (7 mill post wash with 45% motility). He is now going to have a SA (didn't get one during our earlier testing since I have had two miscarriages from natural pregnancy previously). We are feeling pretty bummed about this late notice and feel like this IUI try was wasted in a way. Looks like some have had success with similar counts- any advice? Eponine, looks like IVF was the route that worked for you?? Thanks in advance!
    M/C #1- 5/12 @ 8 weeks
    M/C #2- 5/13 @ 8 weeks, D&C
    Fertility testing- 1/14, low ovarian reserve (AMH 0.73) 
    IUI #1- 3/12/14- BFN
    Break from IUI for SA
  • KellyMac424, we conceived DS with IUI. I only had 1 mature follie and MH's count was ONE million, post wash. I don't remember motility/morphology, but they were decent.

We also had sex 24 hours before and 24 hours after, per the doc's recommendation. However, it may be important to note that MH doesn't have sperm count issues, in general. The morning of the IUI, he was extremely jet lagged from international travel, hadn't slept much the night before, and while he was giving the sample, he could hear nurses in the next room talking and laughing loudly, which was really distracting for him. Regardless of the reason, we ended up w 1M sperm.

I found it really important to reassure him as much as possible after the fact. He was SO disappointed and felt un-masculine. I hid my own disappointment as much as possible, so as not to make him feel bad about it. I knew that if we had to do another round of IUI, he'd need as much confidence and reassurance as possible.

Good luck with you upcoming betas!
    DH and I are Americans living an adventure in Kenya since 2011
    DX: PCOS (annovulatory)
    Feb 2012: IUI #1 w/ only 1M sperm and a single follie = BFP! 
    Nov 2012: Little buddy born in Kenya
    Nov 2013: Trying for a second, still w PCOS
    Dec 2013: IUI cycle canceled for non-response
    Jan 2014: Break cycle BFP!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • got pg with DS after 2 IUIs now DH has low count but is on clomid so it's usually higher, more in the normal range. But the last few times we've done IUIs it has been in the low range. Our lab doesn't give us numbers for IUIs.

But to ttc #2 we have done at least 6 IUIs over a period of a year and so for no success. I am 7 dpiui so maybe we will get lucky this time.
    Diagnosed MFI- low sperm count  
    DS-Born 7/27/11 After 2 years of IF we have our little man
    TTC#2 January 2013
    11 Medicated cycles gave us
    B/G Twins born 10/8/14 @ 32 weeks
  • Bumping this thread to see if there have been any recent success stories with a low sperm count. 

I had my IUI on Wednesday (37 hours after trigger) with 3 mature follies. DH's numbers were the highest they have been yet- 4.7 million.

Hoping to join you all on this board soon.

Me: 27 (PCOS/Hashimotos/Irregular Cycles) // DH: 38 (MIF- low count/motility)

Married: 4/29/11

TTC: Since 10/2011

3 CP (3/2011, 11/2011 & 6/2014)// HSG 5/14: ALL CLEAR!

10/2012: 100mg x2 Clomid/IUI: cancelled due to poor response (stubborn follies)

02/2013: 200mg Clomid//IUI: 2 follicles (21mm &19mm) / 1.3m P/W= BFN

04/2012: 200mg Clomid/IUI: 1 follicle (20mm) / 1.6m P/W= BFN

10/2013: 250mg Clomid/IUI: 1 follicle (23mm) / 4.5m P/W= BFN

02/2014: Follistim/B2B IUI: 1 follicle (23mm)/ #1: 2m P/W & #2: 800K P/W= BFN

05/2014: 50mg Clomid/Follistim IUI: 3 follicles (21mm, 15.5mm & 15.5mm)/ 4.7m P/W= CP

On a TTC break for 3-6 months while DH gets treatment with a Urologist

• Actually I posted about not having luck after 6 or 7 IUIs. That iui that I was in the 2ww from when I posted was successful. I'm currently 14 wks pg with twins. It took a while but it was worth it.

That don't give us exact counts but ranges. The sperm count was in the lowest of the 3 ranges, so it wasn't great. Good luck!
    Diagnosed MFI- low sperm count  
    DS-Born 7/27/11 After 2 years of IF we have our little man
    TTC#2 January 2013
    11 Medicated cycles gave us
    B/G Twins born 10/8/14 @ 32 weeks
  • we usually had 1-2 million post wash (with the exception of 5 mill one time).  We did 7 IUIs with #2

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"