Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

carnation instant breakfast for toddlers?

I'm having an incredibly difficult time getting DD to eat anything for breakfast.  I offer a variety of things and she's just not interested.  Even if she says yes to something when I put it in front of her she refuses to eat it.  The only thing she wants in the mornings is milk.  I was thinking of getting some of the carnation instant breakfast things to add to her milk (giving her chocolate milk and hopefully more nutrients) but I am not sure of the nutrition info on them.  Are they super high sugar?  Is there a reason I shouldn't give them to her?  
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: carnation instant breakfast for toddlers?

• Options
    My husband starting drinking them for breakfast and my daughter thinks it's so cool to have a breakfast milkshake like daddy.  I only give her half a package or 3 small spoonfulls of the powder and then mix that with milk.  She really isn't much of a milk drinker, so it has really helped to get her to drink more milk.  Sadly, I have never looked at how much sugar is in it.  I guess that makes me a bad mommy.

girls photo zvczv.jpg

• Options

imagemomtoRaegan041008:
    Sadly, I have never looked at how much sugar is in it.  I guess that makes me a bad mommy.

It doesn't make you a bad mommy at all!  Honestly if I hadn't spent so much time on the bump when pregnant and when Cameron was tiny I wouldn't even think to look at that either.  I am in no way a nutrition person, but I am trying to pay attention to what all I give her.  

It's good to hear that your daughter likes it though-I would hate to buy a whole box and have her refuse to drink it.  Might still happen, but hopefully not.   

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    we did a 1/2 packet a day when DS was 1 and was low on the weight chart.  Within 3 months he was right back where he should be so the extra calories really helped.  We really didn't have to do it for too long and it didn't seem to hurt his appetite doing the small addition.
  • Options

My daughter is not on the charts for weight and we met with a nutritionist who suggested giving her one Carnation Instant Breakfast a day.  I actually give them to both my kids since neither is a very good eater.  While I haven't seen a change in her weight, I at least know she is getting some vitamins.

I compared the "lower sugar" CIB to the regular one and, I can't remember specifically, but it was higher in something that made me not buy it (sodium maybe?).

• Options

I have no idea what the effect is on kids, but when I was having a hard time gaining weight during my pregnancy, the OB recommended it and I really started packing on the pounds quickly.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemistresscox:

imagemomtoRaegan041008:
    Sadly, I have never looked at how much sugar is in it.  I guess that makes me a bad mommy.

It doesn't make you a bad mommy at all!  Honestly if I hadn't spent so much time on the bump when pregnant and when Cameron was tiny I wouldn't even think to look at that either.  I am in no way a nutrition person, but I am trying to pay attention to what all I give her.  

It's good to hear that your daughter likes it though-I would hate to buy a whole box and have her refuse to drink it.  Might still happen, but hopefully not.   

My daughter had to meet with an Endocrinologist when she was around a year and half and they suggested the Carnation Instant Breakfast and adding powdered milk to her food.  She wasn't a fan of it before now.  They had a really good deal on Amazon about a month or so ago, where you got 3 big canisters of it.  All chocolate though. 

girls photo zvczv.jpg

• Options
    nic326nic326 member
    I do. I can hardly get DS to sit and eat anything in the morning so I give him one of these in the morning, or a yogurt smoothie.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This is actually a fairly common recommendation from pedis for kids who are having trouble gaining weight. It's a good source of nutrition when mixed with milk and generally pretty well received!
  • Options
    We do half a packet a day on the days that DS doesn't eat well (which is most days).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Sweet-thanks for the advice ladies! I'll be off to the grocery store tomorrow to pick some up.  
  • Options
    I love that stuff and used to drink it when I was working (and young and skinny and didn't care about sugar or calories, lol :) Anyway, I have heard a lot of pedis rec it... but don't buy the low-sugar or no-sugar or whatever that it... it has splenda (or something artificial... I cannot remember) in it. Just buy the real stuff. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"