Adoption
Options

I hate some people

<rant>

I went to the doctor the other day to ask for a referral to a counselor. I have a lot going on right now and want to talk to someone who has no personal connection or interest. My regular doc is on maternity leave, so I saw someone else. He made me soooo mad. He told me, "You shouldn't rush into adoption yet." Then he proceeded to tell me that it may still be possible for me to have bio kids, so I should talk to an OB and find out all my options before resorting to adoption. I responded: "I have wanted to adopt for years. We WILL adopt. The only thing that's changed is that we were planning on waiting a little longer, since we thought we'd have a newborn this summer." I hate that adoption is something that some people see as second-rate. Before we lost our baby I could just tell people I don't have fertility issues. I just want to adopt, because it makes more sense and I want to experience it. Now, though, I feel the need to explain that I probably don't have fertility issues, and that one stillbirth usually isn't a huge risk factor, especially an unexplained one. Then I have to justify that we are ready to have a living child and don't care one bit how that child comes to us. We aren't adopting because we think we can't have bio kids. We're adopting because it's an amazing thing and we want to be a part of it.

</rant>

~Julie image Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Re: I hate some people

• Options

I am so sorry. People really can be insensitive jerks sometimes.

(((hugs)))

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Moved to Domestic Adoption 9/09 Matched 10/09 Sweet little Luke was born 12/9/09!
  • Options
    People are @ss hats. I fail to see how sharing some unseen genes or giving birth automatically make a great parent or guarantee love, like or respect from either side. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    wille2bwille2b member

im sorry, that was a rude comment! people say some dumb stuff, just ignorance.. sucks to hear but let it roll off, prolly wont be the last thing you hear from someone!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

TTC since 2005
    missed miscarriage nov 2006- 4 failed clomid cycles-
    3 failed femara iui cycles-
    moving on to IVF oct 2011
    ER nov. 7th
    tansfered 2 blasts on 11/10
    lots of +hpt!!
    beta #1 on 11/21= 50.4
    beta #2 on11/23= 90.8
    another miscarriage 12/23
    moving on to Round 2 of IVF with an auto immune dx
    ER 4/23-retrieved 12 eggs
    ET 4/28 3 transfered
    Beta #1- 356
    Beta #2- 870

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

That was absolutely uncalled for!  I'm sorry your doctor felt it was their place to tell you what to do.  I've gotten a lot of people asking if we've done IVF already since we moved on to adoption.  A lot are shocked that we would adopt without trying every single thing to have a bio child.  It's frustrating for sure!

TTC #1 since 12/07 SA 9/08=borderline normal HSG 1/09 found R tube blocked Multiple IUIs both with oral and injectible drugs from 2/09-2/11 Started domestic adoption process in 5/10, homestudy complete 9/10 Failed adoption after home with baby for 2 weeks 11/10 Blessed through the miracle of private adoption with a son, born 6/6/11 (his grandma's bday) 7lbs 9oz 20.5 inches long! So worth the wait!
  • Options
    imagewille2b:

im sorry, that was a rude comment! people say some dumb stuff, just ignorance.. sucks to hear but let it roll off, prolly wont be the last thing you hear from someone!

Yeah, it's not the first, either. Just the first from a doctor! I would expect a family doctor to be more understanding of people who want families.

~Julie image Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
  • Options
    wille2bwille2b member
    imagebuggerfly12:
    imagewille2b:

Yeah, it's not the first, either. Just the first from a doctor! I would expect a family doctor to be more understanding of people who want families.

even after adopting my family doc still asks if i am going to give him a little sister, and when i respond with adoption things she is like "i wasnt talking about adoption"

oh well!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

TTC since 2005
    missed miscarriage nov 2006- 4 failed clomid cycles-
    3 failed femara iui cycles-
    moving on to IVF oct 2011
    ER nov. 7th
    tansfered 2 blasts on 11/10
    lots of +hpt!!
    beta #1 on 11/21= 50.4
    beta #2 on11/23= 90.8
    another miscarriage 12/23
    moving on to Round 2 of IVF with an auto immune dx
    ER 4/23-retrieved 12 eggs
    ET 4/28 3 transfered
    Beta #1- 356
    Beta #2- 870

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    so sorry you had to deal with that!   what happened to professional people who don't offer inappropriate advice and are simply supportive of a personal decision!...
    After 7 years of marriage and 5 unsuccessful IVFs, we have been granted the gift of adopting a baby boy, born 4/21/11.
  • Options

I've been appalled at how many people could NOT wrap their heads around why we would adopt a child with special needs when "we could have our own healthy child". As if adoption was second rate and only for people with fertility issues. I've found that some people truly are just uninformed and once you explain they get it. Other people are just plain ignorant and there won't ever be enough explaining to get through to them. 

I'm so sorry for what you've just been through and that you have to relive any of it in such unpleasant situations. Hope you're able to find the right person to talk with. . .   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
  • Options
    imagejehnm:

That was absolutely uncalled for!  I'm sorry your doctor felt it was their place to tell you what to do.  I've gotten a lot of people asking if we've done IVF already since we moved on to adoption.  A lot are shocked that we would adopt without trying every single thing to have a bio child.  It's frustrating for sure!

I get this same thing ALL. THE. TIME. I answer them nicely for now. But one of these days I know I'm gonna be in a bad mood and be really rude. lol. People just don't understand and I'm sorry that you had to hear it from a doctor. :( Hugs!

• Options
    Thanks, everyone. Having someone understand makes ignorance less irritating.
  • Options

People are jerks. My primary care physician (who is also my second cousin) said, "Oh, I wouldn't adopt. My two friends who adopted have kids with borderline personality disorder. You just never know what you're going to get." I must've missed the part where you KNOW what you're going to get with a biological child. Yes, you know medical history but there is still the possiblity of many "issues." Her statement made me soooo angry!

BFP 12/18/2009. HB 1/4/2010. NO HB 1/18/2010. D&C 1/19/2010
    April 2011 IUI #1 BFN. High FSH and other issues.
    May 2011 Chose to build our family through adoption
    September 2011 Actively waiting for a match
    11/26/11 Surprise BFP * DD born 7/23/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"