Washington Babies

Advice Needed

So DH and I got into about my not wanting MIL to come and stay with us after the baby is born. She made me so stressed out with DD that I locked Em and myself in my bedroom and cried for a good 30 minutes. I didn't say anything to DH because he thought I was just complaining. Once I told him I cried, he felt bad. MIL and my relationship is pretty strained and because she doesn't respect my wishes 99% of the time, I just don't want her to stay with us. DH thinks I'm being mean.

I told him that she is welcome to come and visit us in the hospital once we've had time to be just our little family and that if she wants to visit at the house after we've been home, it's fine, but she can't stay more than a day (being morning to evening, no staying with us). He still thinks I'm being mean to her.

So... in the interest of wondering if I'm really the worst DIL ever, would you let your MIL stay with you? Am I being unreasonable? I don't feel like I am because she's been so disrespectful towards mine and DH's parenting wishes.

photo 2d6f681a-40e8-42e5-a771-5a26c7ad29fe_zpsdce5d654.jpg Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Advice Needed

• I do not think you are being unreasonable at all. 

If she stresses you out, I can't imagine it would be healthy for you to be around her for super long periods of time. Especially right after having a baby!

Does she live close? Or far away? 

I am in the same boat with my MIL, except she lives four blocks down the street, in the same housing development. I am having issues with her wanting to be IN the delivery room!  

image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think it's mean at all. It's a totally reasonable request if that's what you want. I absoultely did not want guests staying with us. I made it clear in a very nice way that we would be adjusting to family life together and gave a list of close hotels. Maybe don't go into all the reasons you don't like your mil if that's what you dh is considering mean. Just focus on the event, and how you would like the time to be about you and the new baby.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh HELL no. 

Not only don't I have a great relationship with my MIL, but I learned the hard way with my exMIL.  I thought I could just ignore her but between hormones, new baby stress, breastfeeding adjustments, etc., I learned that NOBODY should stay at my house for any period of time with a new baby. I suspect it would damage even the best of relationships (DH/SO and kids not included). 

Have DH talk to her, let him adress your wishes - make sure he's FIRM about the fact that her visits need to be limited, even though she's got the best intentions.  Also go over what she's permitted to do while she's there...including leaving when you ask. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagezazzu:

I don't think it's mean at all. It's a totally reasonable request if that's what you want. I absoultely did not want guests staying with us. I made it clear in a very nice way that we would be adjusting to family life together and gave a list of close hotels. Maybe don't go into all the reasons you don't like your mil if that's what you dh is considering mean. Just focus on the event, and how you would like the time to be about you and the new baby.

This. If she stresses you out, not having her there is in the best interest of you and your new family. You will have enough to worry and stress about with a new little one, you don't need anything else heaped on top.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers photo
  • I would never, ever let mine stay with us. Ever. Never. EVER!
  • I don't think that is unreasonable at all!  Its so hard to get settled with a new baby.  This time we made mil wait until J was 6 weeks old to come stay with us because I needed the time to heal and get used to 2 kids.  Could you ask that she wait a little while?  Or could you offer to pay for a hotel?
    imageimage Brothers! image
  • HELL NO would I ever let me MIL stay with us. I think it is fine saying she can visit but you rather not have her stay. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I think it totally depends on your relationship, for me having MIL here was very helpful with Max and we plan to do it again with this baby...she cooked, cleaned, let me sleep, didn't criticize our parenting or anything like that. In a situation like yours though it sounds like it would be more stress than help, so I would definitely make it clear that you won't be up to overnight guests in those first few weeks.
    Photo by J. Shelton Photography
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageMy Blog
  • I don't think you are being unreasonable. If your relationship with MIL is strained then DH needs to understand that the added stress is not okay/necessary. If your MIL is more of a problem then a help to you, coming to stay with you is not a good idea. The only personal experience I can equate this to is wedding issues with family. I made a decision early on in the planning we would do what is best for us in hopes that family would (eventually) understand. If they didn't understand, all we could do was try to explain it to them as delicately as possible. Bottom line is it's about you, DH, and your little family. I know it's easy to say, and I realize it depends on your and DHs personality/relationship; but if I were you I would be stern, put my foot down, and do what is best for you and your newborn. It will be stressful enough adjusting to having a newborn and a toddler. You need time to find your rhythm. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic EDD: September 22, 2012 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Nope you are not being mean.  I have a good relationship with my MIL but she drove me nuts when she stayed with us for 10 days.  She kept telling me things that I should do and would not listen to me about how to hold/feed DD with her reflux.  If we had more kids, and no not an option we are done, I would opt the second time around for her not to stay with us. 
    DH-NOA confirmed with TESE, ME-Unexplained After 1 Miscarriage, 6 IUI's, our little miracles are here. Proud Parents of Twins. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    We're Finally Three
  • Sweetie its your house & your kids.  You get to choose who is there & who is with them. My MIL stays at the hotel when she visits so we both get space. GL!
    Photobucket
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • ttgcolettgcole member

I think your DH needs to be way more understanding about this.  I also think (from what you have told me) that between anxiety, a newborn, and a 3 year old, unless she is going to help you and abide by your wishes she can stay the heck home.  It will be no good for the 4 of you to have the stress, period. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not you're not being mean at all. I was living in Seattle when I had DS and both my Mom & MIL wanted to come and help out straight away. I said from the start NO WAY as I wanted DH & I to settle in our baby on our own and not have to worry about house guests.

My Mom came to visit in the end when DS was 2 months old and then MIL visited when he was 3 months old.  Honestly I couldn't wait for our little family to return to normal again after they left. I would never have them staying again & if I was you I would just get your DH to say to his Mom, thanks but no thanks!

collage Cooper Flynn is 3 years old and growing! May 10,2009 Miscarriage April 2008 Ectopic pregnancy August 2011
  • I'm assuming she lives close?  If she lives close, then just have DH say "thanks for the offer, but I don't think we need as much help this time around... Of course we'll love for you to visit and meet the baby and all, but we don't need you to stay over this time.  Thanks anyway...

And really, your DH is who I'd be pissed at.  He needs to stand by you.  He needs to know that if his mother makes you upset, she needs to get the hell away or he needs to stand up for you and tell her to stop.   

• I have a great MIL, she's very low stress, low drama and is great with the girls. I still wouldn't want her to stay with us right after we had the girls. No way. It's a stressful time and you shouldn't have anyone there who adds to the stress. I don't think you're being unreasonable at all.
  • Like the others have said I don't think you are being mean at all.  Both my IL's came the day after DS was born, they live in CA and drove all day to be here when we were released from the hospital.  They didn't stay with us, we made that clear before they came.  We spent a lot of time at my parents house, so that we could leave when we wanted to.  It was the longest but shortest week of my life.  Trying to adjust to a new baby and have them around was very hard.  I don't really remember the first few weeks home with the baby and I would never do it again. I know they wanted to see their first Grandson but it sure was hard.   Do what feels right for you and your family.  Good luck.

• You are definitely not being the horrible DIL.  She needs to respect your wishes.  It is such a stressful time after the baby that even normal visitors are overwhelming.  Stand your ground!

M + K = 05.16.09 | A.P. = 02.27.11
  • I guess I should add that I do want my mom here to take care of Em while we're in the hospital. My mom is low maintenance, she listens and understands why MIL stresses me out. I just want my mom. This is one of those things where I know that I need my mom here with me.

Anyway, thanks for making me feel less awful. MIL lives less than two hours away. And she doesn't come visit much, we have to come to her. She complains that she doesn't see her grandbaby enough, but never comes to visit her here and she's not working full time.

I'll stand my ground then and be firm with DH. Thanks ladies!

photo 2d6f681a-40e8-42e5-a771-5a26c7ad29fe_zpsdce5d654.jpg Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageSeattle_JiLLn:

And really, your DH is who I'd be pissed at.  He needs to stand by you.  He needs to know that if his mother makes you upset, she needs to get the hell away or he needs to stand up for you and tell her to stop.   

This!  and throw out Genesis 2:24 to him every time he argues with you about it.

• imagechibipoe:
    I have a great MIL, she's very low stress, low drama and is great with the girls. I still wouldn't want her to stay with us right after we had the girls. No way. It's a stressful time and you shouldn't have anyone there who adds to the stress. I don't think you're being unreasonable at all.
    This exactly. For me it was more about figuring out HOW I wanted to do things, be gross in my PJs and not host (and at some level you ARE the host). They helped clean and provided food and decorations for our "open baby house" and that was perfect!
  • imagepreston18:
    imageSeattle_JiLLn:

This!  and throw out Genesis 2:24 to him every time he argues with you about it.

I just laughed out loud, I will throw out that verse next time :-)

• Well, I'm late to the conversation, but I like my MIL, and wanted no one near me those first few weeks.  My sister whom I love dearly came three weeks in, and I wanted her to leave after 5 days.   I needed quiet time to heal. 

And I just wanted to add... tell your DH it is impossible to be "mean" in those first few weeks.  Sad, hurting, bleeding, struggling, exhausted, 100% in survival mode, and needing to be cared for vs. fighting someone in your own home, yes.  Mean, no.

I'm going to make an AWESOME big brother.

Pregnancy Ticker

• imageZista:

And I just wanted to add... tell your DH it is impossible to be "mean" in those first few weeks.  Sad, hurting, bleeding, struggling, exhausted, 100% in survival mode, and needing to be cared for vs. fighting someone in your own home, yes.  Mean, no.

I like this!  Like others have said, I like my MIL.  But our styles are very different, and she still stresses me out about baby stuff.  I would have been a wreck if she was staying the night with us.  My mom stayed with us and it was so helpful - normally we butt heads because we're both opinionated, but it wasn't that way with the newborn.  It's hard to explain to some people, but someitmes you need your own mom and no one else - for me that was one of those times.  I can't imagine having my MIL over if we didn't get along - it would have been terrible. Stand firm on this one, you will be happier in the long run!

J + J = K image Photo by J. Shelton Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There is nothing wrong with wanting your OWN mom to be there to help you out in the beginning and not wanting someone else's mom there.   Some MILs are helpful and all, but it's still nto your own mom and a lot of times you end up feeling like you have "a guest" in your house not a mom/helper....  

Anyway, I don't think you ever have to explain how having your own mom is different than having someone else's mom.  

When DH has surgery or needs help, he can have his own mom and your mom can stay away.  But this is YOU recouperating and you can choose who you have.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"