Special Needs
Options

Worried about my 9 month old.

He is very social and smiles a ton, but there are some physical delays that I'm beginning to worry about. He doesn't clap, wave or crawl yet. He will scoot but not the traditional crawling. He was in PT for torticollis when he was younger but was released.

He has some other odd behaviors, like he doesn't do the traditional babbling (dadada mamama), more like "ma" or "da" and he has been saying "up" at the correct times for the past 2 months.

I will admit, I'm really scared about the possibility of ASD. When I researched some of these things that's what pops up. Did you see any red flags at 9 months or is it entirely too early?

ETA: He was born at 35weeks

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Worried about my 9 month old.

• Options
    ali0608ali0608 member

My first response was going to be, "I don't see a problem; my DS was the same way at 9 months."  Then I realized that ASD has not been ruled out for him yet.  So, I really don't know "typical" 9 month behaviors.  I'm sure others with much more knowledge than me will give their opinions on the behaviors.

My suggestion would be to get an eval done through Early Intervention.  I know the wait time differs state to state, but ours was done and he started therapy within two months.  We started at 18 months and I regretted not calling sooner.

Also, talk to your pedi.  Ours gave us the development pedi referral for an autism screening at his 18 month appt.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would talk to his pedi before calling EI at this stage, see whether he feels you have any reason to be concerned about ASD.

My 13 month old is developing typically intellectually (that we are aware of) at this point and he didn't start the "typical babbling" until 10-11 months of age. He started crawling at 11 months but he is delayed physically so he was a bit late on that one, he is not yet walking.

My gut reaction is it is too early to freak out about ASD. We didn't see red flags until 15-18 month age range for our first born who is diagnosed with ASD. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Neither of my kids was crawling, waving or really babbling much at 9m. Neither is autistic. My DD had tort, too, and crawled at 11m, walked at 18m. My pedi did not consider her delayed. DS crawled at 10m, walked at 13m. Both are quite advanced verbally and have been since 15ish m, despite babbling "later." I'd talk to your pedi if you're worried, but I think a lot of what you posted is normal for 9m old.
  • Options
    I don't think that is anything to worry about.  You have to remember he was 5 weeks early.  That is an entire month.
  • Options
    I see nothing to worry about right now.  He seems pretty typical for a 9 month old.  I know it's hard but try not to make yourself nuts at this age and just enjoy him.  Some babies don't clap until later and crawl until close to one and ASD is not a concern.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"