High-Risk Pregnancy

Confused about shortened cervix and short term disability?

I have been on STD for threatened preterm labor and shortened cervix since 30 weeks.  My doctor wanted me to go on bedrest until 37 weeks (full term for her) because the assumption was that I would have delivered by 35-37 weeks. 

I'm still pregnant.

Since she suggested that, now I am still pregnant and 37 weeks+  She suggests that I stay resting until delivery but can't really specify a medical reason to keep me on bedrest. So she can't "extend" my STD for "rest".  

I spoke to the insurance (STD) carrier though and they said they go from the date the doctor puts you on bedrest and that there is no "expiration" date per say.  They said I didn't need any additional documentation right now.

LOL - they haven't even processed my paperwork yet and I've been on bedrest for 7 weeks.

So I don't know if I should go back to work or stay at home? I could be on "bedrest" and then them turn around and say it wasn't approved.  Goodness knows.  I'm so confused on what I am supposed to do.

And those of you on bedrest for cervical shortening or threatened preterm labor - were you only on bedrest and fully out of work up until full term or did you stay out of work until delivery?

Anthony Javier will be here soon!
BabyFruit Ticker
BabyFetus Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Confused about shortened cervix and short term disability?

• I too am on bedrest for PTL and short cervix and have STD thru work benefits. I was put on SBR at 22weeks and on the forms my OB filled out she just put the starting date of SBR and my EDD with the need for another 12 weeks after delivery. When I go back to work she has to fill out a medical clearance form for me to even go back. Until then I don't think any "extension form" or "clairification of extended bedrest" kind of form needs to be filled out. I would stay on STD, your work can't pry into your medical records or make you work if you physically can't. And i'd assume needing to get muscle, stamina and your health back would warrant the dissability. With labor coming really at any moment I would stay out of work. Who knows, you might get cleared and go back for a day or two only to go into labor then have to restart your STD benefits and the paerwork hassle!
    4thofJuly2012-cpd
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    after 10 weeks of bedrest for contractions and shorting cvx they arrived at 32 weeks!
  • I don't get why your doctor can't explain to the insurance people her belief that it is best for you to stay home.  

I wish I had an answer for you.  Good luck. 

Beautiful Miracle Baby lost at 21 weeks due to pre-term labor and incompetent cervix. FET#1 BFN, FET#2 BFP, early loss. FET#3 BFN. IVF#2 BFFN. FET #4 BFP after removing bilateral hydrosalpinx and 3 months of lupron depot. Sticky Bun is here!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • alm0309alm0309 member
    I would stay on STD.  I was on bedrest from week 21 through 34 and I am having a difficult time getting my strength and energy back.  I can only imagine how exhausting it would be to attempt going back to work at this point.  Good luck to you!
  • I was on bedrest from 26-36 weeks. I went into PTL at 31 weeks (but they were able to stop it with drugs, which I took for another month).

At 36 weeks when I was let up, I did go back to work (my choice). I have a desk job, so it's not like I was running around after a classroom of kids or anything. Yes, I was exhausted just walking in from the parking lot for the first couple of weeks, but honestly, I think I needed to take that month and regain my strength. I don't know how I could have coped with a newborn if I still stayed at home resting.  My Dr. also assured me that I would deliver by 36 weeks, tops. I ended up delivering at 41 weeks.

If the same thing happens in this pregnancy, at this point, I think I'd still be inclined to go back to work for the last couple of weeks if it's possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"