April 2011 Moms
Options

Tell me what to do please

I have officially done everything possible to produce more milk for my son and nothing has worked. Background story on my blog: https://jenniferpfeffer.blogspot.com/2011/05/cost-of-breastfeeding.html

Last week, he flat out refused to nurse anymore.  It doesn't matter if I pump every 2, 3, 4 hours, I only produce 2-3 ounces PER DAY.  I dropped down to pumping three times a day and still got the 2-3 ounces...

I really want to say enough is enough and stop completely.  My DH tells me "whatever you want to do," but I think I need someone else to actually tell me what I should do.  Do I suck it up and pump enough for him to have 1/2 bottle of breastmilk a day?  Is 2 oz a day even worth the hassle? Or do I say enough is enough?

Re: Tell me what to do please

• Options
    NannaNanna member
    FWIW, I have never put out more than 2 oz in a day to a pump, but my baby has been able to get more than that per feeding out of me.  Some women just do not let down to a pump, and babies are much more efficient at getting milk out.  I admit I haven't read your story so I don't know if baby actually nursing has been a fail, or if you've done before/after weighings to see how much baby is getting when nursing at the breast during a feeding, but if you haven't I would highly recommend getting this done.  It opened my eyes and eased my worry that baby was getting much more than I thought he was based on my pumping output.  If you've already exhausted those things, then I say follow your gut and bow out of pumping if that's the best thing for you.  If pumping is a stress, just stop.  FFing won't hurt your little one, and you've worked so hard already to do the best you can.  Take comfort in that and move on and start enjoying feeding time.
    imageimageimage
  • Options

Here is what I would do. If you can pump twice a day and maintain the same level of output to give him that bottle, I would do it (I pump twice a day now and while I don't love it, I think it is manageable). Any BM you can give him will benefit him. But if you have to pump 4, 5, 6 times a day to get it, and your life will be dictated by the pump, then I would stop. And do it for as long as you both are happy. If in two weeks you are so frustrated and tied to the pump, then quit. If you last a month, great. If you make two months, outstanding! But I would not beat yourself up over it. You have tried, really, really, hard to make it work. I am BFing, so I can understand the emotional attachment and disappointment that would come along with not being able to do it, but he will still be happy and healthy if you give him formula. You need to take care of yourself too!

But that is just what I would do from the perspective of someone who hasn't been through what you have been through. If you are feeling like you have reached your limit, then I think you should stop and not feel guilty about it. I'm sorry you are going through this. It must be really frustrating.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Honestly, I would say enough is enough.  It sounds like you have tried hard and pumping is hard work (not worth only 2oz/day, imo).  But whatever you want to do is just fine.  Formula is not poison, so you should not feel bad about giving that to him.  He will thrive on 100% formula or on 90% formula/10% bm.  It is really up to you. 
    imageimageimageimageimage 9/07 m/c baby boy @ 18wks, 4/09 m/c @ 4.5wks
  • Options
    I think I'd call it quits. I don't think the additional stress is worth it when you're not really getting results. If you want to continue pumping a few times a day and giving him what you get, then do that. But I don't think you need to feel like you have to breastfeed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Well, I'm not going to tell you to keep going. I was only getting an ounce a day when I was feeding and pumping. If you are anywhere near as frustrated as I was, I'd forget it. Your baby is over a month old, and you've done a great job. If you have any sort of frustration lingering (which it seems you do), I'd be done.

Good luck mama!

IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    I'd switch to formula and not look back.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageNechie122:
    I'd switch to formula and not look back.

This. I felt so guilty when I did it, but our lives are so much easier now. I realized after I quit that I was a slave to pump just to give my LO 3 oz a day. What finally made me feel better about it was that my LO's bowel movements on Similac Advance formula look EXACTLY the same as when she was EBF the first couple weeks of her life. Your LO is going to be perfectly fine and you will probably feel so much happier if you just switch.

That said, it's totally a personal decision. However, if it weren't such a burden in your life right now and if it weren't making you unhappy, you wouldn't have posted on here about it. Do what feels right to you, but do it in confidence that no matter what you're a great mom who is taking great care of her LO.

• Options

Thank you guys!  You are all right, it is a huge burden and I'm "done." I'm not sure why you all telling me that it is okay makes me feel better, but it does!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"