3rd Trimester
Options

Driving after giving birth?

Hi all. This may be a dumb question from a 2nd timer but I've got to fire away. With DD, I had a vaginal birth and my OB never said anything about driving afterward, but it didn't really matter because I didn't go anywhere without DH for a few weeks anyway, so I never thought of it.

I scheduled a newborn session for DD2, and told DH that I'll bring the baby and he can bring DD1 about an hour later for sister pics. He then said "are you supposed to be driving that soon?". My mom asked me the same thing, so I thought maybe I'm missing something. With a normal, vaginal delivery is there a reason you aren't supposed to drive a week later??? I find it weird that my OB didn't say anything if I should have been avoiding it......
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Driving after giving birth?

• Options
    Nope, no reason you can't drive after a normal vaginal delivery.  If you had a c-section or a tear and you drive a manual (where you're constantly having to move your legs around), it could be uncomfortable.  But I think you'll be fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was told not to for a week, but I had a pretty rough labor and bad tearing. I think I remember the Dr. saying something about not wanting to stress muscles if I slammed on the breaks or something to that effect. It's all a bit of a blur :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I drove 4 days PP with DD (after a long but easy labor and minor 1st degree tear). As long as you are comfortable with it and the dr doesn't give you any restrictions, you should be fine.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    1momma1momma member
    no driving for at least a week, I was told 2. Some insurances (auto) wont cover you if you get into an accident that early, your muscles arent as strong, youre possibly shifting all the time because youre uncomfortable. Just not fit to drive. I had a normal- semieasy vag delivery.
  • Options
    SeaMamaSeaMama member
    I couldn't drive for about 3 weeks after my C/S but it was because of the drugs I was on.  I don't see why you couldn't other than discomfort, etc.  Unless you're on pain meds, then you obviously shouldn't be driving around w/ a newborn.
  • Options
    i was out and about within a few days, i'd go stir crazy sitting in the house for weeks at a time. i've never heard of driving restrictions after birth.
  • Options
    It's totally fine to drive after a normal vaginal delivery. I was high on pain killers my first time around, so my dr. suggested I waited until those wore off obviously but other than that it was good to go.
  • Options
    I had no restrictions after I stopped taking painkillers. 
    DS May 12, 2009 DD September 7, 2011
  • Options
    In Canada, you have to wait 42 hours to drive after having any kind of anesthetic. Not sure if it's the same law in the States. If you have a c section or an epi, you have to wait at least that long.
  • Options
    With all three of my children (2 dif dr.'s) they told me i was not allowed to drive for two weeks or lift anything heavier then the baby. (not in the seat) And i had perfect deliverys, not long, and no tearing!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    ohfourohfour member

imageMichekke:
    With all three of my children (2 dif dr.'s) they told me i was not allowed to drive for two weeks or lift anything heavier then the baby. (not in the seat) And i had perfect deliverys, not long, and no tearing!

My Dr. did say no lifting anything heavier than the baby, but never anything about driving. I refused the pain meds after labor and only took Motrin, maybe that is why she didn't say anything? My mom and DH were driving me everywhere the first time so I never thought of it until this picture thing came up. We took DD to church and breakfast when she was 5 days old (no one touching her or anything) because I was going nuts sitting in the house.

Thanks for everyone giving their experience. I have my appts every 2 weeks now so I'll have to remember to ask my OB what's up with the situation. The drive is like 10 minutes tops, most being on the highway, so I'm not too concerned. We live in a small town and driving here isn't stressful at all, but I was just wondering if I missed something since both DH and my mom asked about it.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I drove DH and DD home from the hospital

DH had ruptured his achilles tendon (left leg) and could not drive and we dont have family nearby

I also drove us to L&D (i wasnt in active labor yet but was in early labor and OB told me to go and get checked due to some bleeding)

• Options
    jeffraejeffrae member
    only if you are taking pain meds...I was on percoset and vicodin.
  • Options
    They never said anything to me at the hospital about not driving.  I didn't drive until a week later, but that's because I had no where to go without my husband.  I think the reason you're not suppose to drive is the pain. 

girls photo zvczv.jpg

• Options

I want to say my doctor recommended not driving for a week after giving birth, but more just to give the pelvis a rest than because it was an actual hazard. I think you'd know it if you really weren't in any shape to drive, anyway.

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagepolitelypink:
    In Canada, you have to wait 42 hours to drive after having any kind of anesthetic. Not sure if it's the same law in the States. If you have a c section or an epi, you have to wait at least that long.

Really?  I was fully out for my D&C last year, and although DH obv. drove us home from the hospital (I was released the same day), but I drove and was fine the next day.  I wasn't told not to, wasn't on any meds, etc.  When I was out for my wisdom teeth, they just told me not to drive due to the meds. 

ETA - Driving/traffic laws are provincial, not federal.  Perhaps this is not everywhere?  Just asked DH who said it isn't in the Ontario Hwy Traffic Act, but did point out that you can obv. be charged with impaired operation due to drugs if you were still on them. 

~ M/C April 28/10 @ 10w2d ~ ~ M/C Sept. 14/10 @ 5w ~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was told I am to be a passenger only until my 2 week follow-up. 2nd degree tear.  Also told not to lift anything heavier than baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"