High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Tell me about Mag Sulfate.....

Hi Ladies-

I am trying not to jump yet, but I am not liking the way things are headed.

I have been on modified bedrest since 17 weeks due to a shortened cervix. At 28 weeks, I also started showing signs of high BP. I had high BP with my other 2 PG's, but it didn't show up until 34-35 weeks and was not as high as it has been this time.

I am not spilling any protein, swelling is not too bad and I have no other symptoms of pre-e (yet....), but my BP has been the highest so far the past few days.

I had an OB appt. this morning and my BP was 124/90 (it has been hovering in the high 130's//80's). OB was not very happy and ordered me to rest more and come back Friday morning.

I'm not an idiot. I know the next step is hospitalization and Mag.

Please tell me the good, bad and ugly about it ;)

I should also add that I have been on oral steroids (Prednisone) for the past week. I took my last dose this morning. I was given this due to bronchitis/asthma issues I was having. Both my allergist and OB said the meds can cause a rise in the BP, but regardless, we don't know whether the rise is from the meds or the PG.

Thanks for any info!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Tell me about Mag Sulfate.....

• Options

I had pre-e with DS.

The diagnosed me at 37w3d, induced and started the mag.  It was ugly...

I couldn't walk, move or do anything without help (go to the bathroom or anything).  The mag had to stay for 24 post delivery.  I felt terrible and my husband didn't understand and didn't listen to what I was going through...didn't run interference on guests or make them leave.  I didn't have the "experience" I was hoping for. 

I hope someone has some good to share though :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I didn't have a good experience with the Mag either.  I had pre-e and HELLP, so I was on the Mag for 24 hours after delivery.  Of course, that was when everyone wanted to come see me, and all I wanted to do was sleep, I felt so awful from it.  Hope you have a better experience!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had my baby at 34 weeks.  I was induced and on mag.  It was not that fun.  However, I don't really remember a lot of it, so I guess that's good!  I was in labor for 24 hours, but ended up with a c-section.  Like PPs have said, it stays in your body for 24 hours after, so it was a few confusing days.  I remember seeing double for a while, and just feeling really, really foggy.  I could hardly keep my eyes open.  It just feels...bad.  Like you are weighted down, maybe?  Rough to explain.  BUT it does the job!  I'm so sorry you are going through this.  Your BP doesn't look TOO high yet, which is good.  It's also really good that you are being monitored.  Keep us updated!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was on it at 32 weeks for maybe 36 hours to stop contractions but I didn't find it too awful- and I'm a huge wimp.  It kind of burned my arm and I was really hot (felt like I was having hot flashes) while I was on it but other than that I was more miserable from being in the hospital in general than specifically that drug.   I got used to it after a while.  Good luck! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was on it once I went into labor at the hospital plus 24hrs after delivery. So much is going on at that time it is hard to know what is causing what. I do know that the mag made me super hot- my poor baby and husband were freezing in the room- I had it down to 60 degrees and I still couldn't wear more then a sheet for 2 days. I guess it can also make you irritated- but that could be the lack of sleep and feeling overwhelmed. They won't let you drink alot of liquids which was the worst, especially right after delivery. And once they stopped it, I remember being very shaky for a couple of hours. But honestly like I said so much is going on- it is hard to distinguish between it all. It isn't horrible.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"