April 2011 Moms
Options

Birth Control Options - WDYT

My DH has an appointment with his PCP tomorrow for a regular checkup & get a referral for a vasectomy.  I understand with vasectomies that it can take months until all of the swimmers are flushed out of his system (so to speak).  So I need to figure out what kind of birth control I need to get in the meantime.  My 6 week pp appointment is on Thursday....so I want to make a decision by then.

I don't like BCP because I know I will not take them consistently.  So that leaves me the option of Nuvaring, patch, IUD, Implanon.  Given my situation (& your experience) which would you go with?  I had the Paraguard IUD for 7 years before getting pregnant & never had any issues with it.  But not sure if I should go through the trouble of another IUD if DH is planning on a vasectomy.

**Disclaimer:  This is assuming my DH goes through with the vasectomy.  He hasn't given me a reason yet to not believe he won't go through with it, but you know how men can be about these things.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Birth Control Options - WDYT

• Options
    I personally really liked the NuvaRing.  Any other hormonal BC makes me sick as hell (the pill, patch, depo, etc).  I had the Mirena IUD and it made my PCOS go from mild to horribly out of control, and I was in pain for weeks until I got it removed.  NuvaRing was easy, DH never knew it was there, and I had zero side effects. 
  • Options
    imageSouthSideDrea:

For just 6 months? Condoms. 

This.  And charting to avoid.

Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS - 2 years old
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMissLadyTay:
    imageSouthSideDrea:

Unfortunately, I know myself well enough that I would not be consistent.Embarrassed

• Options
    imageMissLadyTay:
    imageSouthSideDrea:

This is what I would do. Charting really is rather easy once you get into the habit and it's not a long or difficult habit to establish.

• Options
    LoCarbLoCarb member
    The pill.  But I would LOVE to get an IUD (my insurance won't cover the cost).  My dr said in 90% of patients they no longer have a menstrual cycle.  That sounds wonderful to me.
  • Options
    GHBEAGHBEA member
    My ex had a vasectomy and it was only 6 weeks until he was cleared  (was showing no sperm in his samples).  I cant remember how often he had to bring in a sample but I know it was 6 weeks after that we stopped using all forms of BC.
                                                 Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageGHBEA:
    My ex had a vasectomy and it was only 6 weeks until he was cleared  (was showing no sperm in his samples).  I cant remember how often he had to bring in a sample but I know it was 6 weeks after that we stopped using all forms of BC.

Good to know....I knew that it wasn't right away but wasn't sure exactly how long after the procedure.  DH seems pretty sure about getting it done, I just can't wait until I no longer have to worry about birth control.  So if we are estimating no more than 2 months, I might just do the Nuvaring. 

• Options
    GHBEAGHBEA member
    imageITGurl0626:

imageGHBEA:

Good to know....I knew that it wasn't right away but wasn't sure exactly how long after the procedure.  DH seems pretty sure about getting it done, I just can't wait until I no longer have to worry about birth control.  So if we are estimating no more than 2 months, I might just do the Nuvaring. 

Not having to worry about BC is one of the best things ever.
                                                 Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Are you BFing?  I think you have to be careful which type of BC you use if it has hormones in it because they can mess with your supply.  If not, I used the Nuvaring for years because I could never remember those damn pills.  I loved it! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto nuvaring. I love it. It came out once when we were DTD, oops. ahha. But I just put it right back in when we were done, no harm, no foul. And H never noticed it either.
    Chelsea; 7/22/2005 Carissa; 4/9/2011 Cassidy; 9/6/2012
    Baby #4; 7/7/2018
  • Options
    Dh had a consult for one last week. they told him he would get checked at 1 month and 2 months after the procedure and then if his sperm count was 0 we were free and clear. So we're just going to use condoms for that time.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"