April 2011 Moms
Options

BF and calories ? Kind of a vent

So, I was a milk producing machine up until a couple of days ago. I was able to pump between feedings and get about 4 oz and still feed LO with no problem. I started trying to lower my calorie intake and started walking to try to lose some of the weight that is driving me nuts and now it seems like my supply is dwindling. For the past two days it seems like LO is hungry a lot more often and doesn't get enough to fill him up off one breast like he was. (I would pump the other side and get about 3 oz) So I had a big freezer stash going, yay!  So, is it possible that I am not getting enough fluids and cals? I feel like I am drinking a ton and still eating a good bit, but I am hungry all the time! So, I try not to eat too often and I have been eating low cal foods. How few calories are too little, I wonder?

What are y'alls thoughts? What can y'all recommend doing in order to get my supply up again? It seems like LO nursed ALL day long today and was still not satisfied. I had this problem with DS#1 and ended up having to quite at 2 months because I just dried up. It was heartbreaking and I thought it was going SO well this time. Now I am just sad :(

Re: BF and calories ? Kind of a vent

• Options

Are you sure it isn't just a growth spurt?  My son did that a couple of days ago, and the LC was confident it was just a growth spurt.  If your ticker is an indication that your baby is a couple of weeks old, the timing would be right.

Don't distress!  I bet it will all work out. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageimage
  • Options
    Breastfeeding is about supply and demand, so his frequent feeding will help your supply.  I second the pp re: growth spurt.  Also, if you are hungry, eat!  I'm right now filling up on lots 'o fruits and veggies.  I *think* I read that breastfeeding can add like 800 calories, but I can't be sure.  HTH.

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ncbellencbelle member

It could just be a growth spurt.  But you also can't cut calories and start an exercise routine and expect to keep up milk production - you need 500 calories a day to breastfeed!  Your hunger is your body telling you it's not getting enough fuel.

Exercise is good - couple that with healthy eating choices and you'll lose weight and maintain your milk supply.  Also don't forget to pound the water.

• Options
    janjagjanjag member

If LO is just a couple weeks old, then I say growth spurt.  I'm not an expert, but I'm thinking that's not the time to start an exercise program or diet.  That's the time to just eat and nurse ;) 

Just feed yourself and feed the baby.  Maybe just a mental trick I play on myself, but when I'm feeling insecure about supply I eat a bowl of oatmeal. 

Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"