Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

how fast is too fast to drink bottle?

I know there have been some questions about bottle feeding lately and i went back a few pages but can't find what i'm looking for so sorry if this is a repeat question.

DD has been taking a bottle since she was 5 days old and is now 14 weeks. Until a week ago she had been only taking 3-4 oz 6 times a day. Then she hit her 3 mo growth spurt and started drinking 4-5 oz 5-6 times a day. It took her 15-20 mins to finish a bottle which is what most websites I looked at say is "normal". So we moved up to 9 oz size bottles to accomodate the increased volume (we had been using the smaller size bottles) and they have medium flow nipples. Now she's finishing most bottles in 10 minutes, sometimes less if she's really hungry! And I've noticed she is wanting up to 6 oz sometimes too. 

She is not choking on the milk, not gassy, and not really spitting up anymore than before but I'm concerned that the increased flow may be why she's eating so much more so quickly. Is it possible she could be overeating due to the medium flow nipple? DH thinks I'm nuts and says if she's not choking or gassy then there's nothing wrong but I feel like it's such a big jump from 4 to 6 oz... am I being paranoid? Sorry if this sounds dumb but for some reason I can't stop worrying about this! Opinions please?!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: how fast is too fast to drink bottle?

• Options
    DS did the same thing when we went up a nipple size - super fast and drank more.  I asked the doc about overfeeding and he said until DS it overweight, i wasn't overfeeding him.  he said to give him whatever he wants.  so i guess i interpret that as give them what they'll take until they refuse (DS does turn away when he's done).
  • Options

We usually use slow flow nipples still but we do have some bottles with medium flow nipples because we can never find anywhere with the slow flow in stock. Ronan does act a little hungrier after he's done with his normal 5 oz, but if I wait a few mins for the food to settle in his stomach he's fine. It's the same reason why an adult who eats very fast tends to eat more, the stomach takes a bit to tell the brain that it's full.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our DS started eating 6 oz at 3  months and rapidly went up to 9 oz until just about 3 days.  Now he is slowing down and is back to 4 - 6 oz.  I don't think that babies can over eat this young.  Even when I was nursing he was done in less than 20 minutes.  Some babies are just efficient eatersSmile  Don't worry - she is just hungry.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the info ladies!! I feel better now. :-)

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"