Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

MIL - how would you feel?

We spent the weekend with my MIL & FIL in a motorhome at a racetrack the whole weekend.  I was pretty excited because I haven't seen DH race in over a year. 

I expected MIL to be all over DD and want to hold her the whole time.  She changed her diaper once and did not feed her one time.  She really showed no interest in the baby at all.  I guess I'm just used to mom who would rather spend time with DD then watch TV or read a book.  I didn't take DD up to the start line for the race because it was too loud so I missed everything.  MIL didn't seem to care.  Would you hold a grudge or am I just expecting too much?

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: MIL - how would you feel?

• Options

While it would have been nice, we can't expect our family to take over our responsibilities. 

My MIL is the same way though so I know how you feel.  My family swoons over DS and I barely get to touch him when we are around them.  When we're with DH's family we can pass him off for a few mins here and there but generally they're not super interested, not like my family.  Makes sense, I guess, when you think that he's the 1st grandbaby on my side but on DH's he's the 9th grandchild. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Options
    Sorry, but I think you are expecting too much. She didn't have to do anything. It would have been nice of her and I would have been a little dissapointed inside that I couldn't have enjoyed the moment a little more. However; you are the mom and sometimes have to sacrifice.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Liss_37Liss_37 member

I agree with the p.p. while it would have been nice for you for your MIL to want to do a lot with your LO, she didn't have to and wasn't obligated to. it sucks that you missed the start but that's part of being a mom. My MIL is the type to want to do everything with LO and my mother is the type who does practically nothing. I don't hold it against her, she is who she is and loves DS just the same.

Me: 37
    DH: 36
    Married: 08-25-07
    DS: 11-20-09

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Name change alert: Formerly Lisswastaken

• Options
    Don't sweat it. Maybe she thought you wouldn't like it if she was too involved. Maybe she was giving you your space? I think there is a stigma about meddling MIL's and maybe she was trying to be one of the good ones who doesn't get in the way. Nevertheless, I'd rather my MIL not be so involved so I would have been OK with it. But I can see your point, I just wouldn't sweat it, some people are into the diapers and bottles, others not so much. 
  • Options
    I think it would have definitely bugged me, but I can see where people are coming from. A lot of times MILs feel they shouldnt out of respect for you, but maybe next time you could ask her too help you?
  • Options
    It not a big deal.  Maybe she just doesn't like newborns and would prefer to interact with them more once they are older.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"