Special Needs
Options

Going to Disney World next week! Any advice, words of wisdom!

We plan on taking advantage of the special services they provide for SN kiddos, and will have something with his dx documented on it. Any thing else we should know about? This will be our first trip with the kids to Disney! So excited!

Re: Going to Disney World next week! Any advice, words of wisdom!

• Options

Fun!  Be sure to stop at the guest services to get a free first-timer button.  My girls got a lot of attention from the characters and other people for theirs.  Bring your own refillable water bottles and healthy snacks. 

• Options

There are baby care stations in each park with changing tables and kid-friendly little toilets.  They also have playrooms and TVs showing Disney videos if you need a break from the masses.  If memory serves, they are marked by a pacifier on the maps.  Also be sure to note on the maps where the disabled parade viewing areas are -- you can get into those with your SN pass, and they are less crowded than other good places along the parade routes.

Innoventions in Epcot was a big hit -- DS loved running around the track, playing with the velcro frogs, and looking at the fire trucks.  He also really liked the nighttime Fantasma show at Hollywood Studios, the Bug-theme playground area (lots of climbing) and the Little Mermaid theater show.  At that Magic Kingdom, he loved the mid-day dance parade (a Celebration theme when we went, but not sure if it is has changed since then).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We just got back a couple weeks ago.  I got the GAC the 2nd day and I was so glad I did.  They didn't ask for any documentation, just asked what was difficult for him. 

Bring lots of snacks and drinks, get the Times Guide for character greetings (also has restaurant open/close times).

If you want to see the Rapunzel show, head straight to it when you enter the park.  It is SO popular, we didn't get to see it and DD was disappointed.  By 11:00 the shows were full for the rest of the day.  If I had to do again I'd get to the park at open (8) and head straight back to wait in line for the 9:15.

Have Fun!

DS - June 2006 DD1 - November 2007 DD2 - August 2010
  • Options
    we just went in january.  it was VERY helpful to be able to use the stroller in the lines.  like above post, they will not ask to see it.  actually, i don't think they're allowed to ask for documentation.  just make sure when you go to get the pass that you take your child with you.  they asked WAY more questions when we went to disneyland than at disneyworld.  have fun!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP 3/9/12 Natural M/C 4/11/12

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Yet another HUGE thumbs up for the Guest Assistance Card. I barely even got the word "autistic" out of my mouth at Guest Relations before she was filling out the card for me- she also provided us with a stroller-as-wheelchair tag, which, as it turned out, we barely needed since the GAC got us through the lines SO quickly. It literally changed the entire dynamic of our trip, and I was so grateful for it!

To a PP's point regarding looks/comments from others- we were just there about 3 weeks ago. Our family looks about as typical as they come to outsiders, and we did not receive a single glance or comment from other park guests when we used the specially designated entrances... even when we were waiting in the same line as people with very visible disabilities. In most cases, Fast Pass makes it pretty impossible to really determine why people are bypassing the main line anyway (whether it be Fast Pass or Guest Assistance Card).

Enjoy your visit... I was so nervous leading up to our trip, but it truly turned out better than I could've ever imagined!

A sister is a little bit of childhood that can never be lost. ~Marion C. Garrett
    image7_0002 A ~ 2.7.06 S ~ 9.2.07
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"