Birth Stories
Options

Frustrating Birth Story

I have yet to post the birth story of my DS, Oliver.

I remember I had absolutely no contractions, no MP, no dilation, no anything up until I was induced at exactly 40 weeks.  My Dr. decided that she was concerned that baby was getting "too big" at 39 weeks even though she did not even do an US to know for sure.  I was then scheduled to be induced at exactly 40 weeks.  Of course by then I was ready to have that baby, so I went along with it. 

I went in about about 8 pm and they gave me half of a cytotec.  I immediately started having mild contractions and tried to rest.  I pretty much did not sleep the entire night because of the contractions and the people next door that were loud and rude. 

By 8 am I was at a 2, and the Dr. broke my water.  I remember standing up for whatever reason shortly after and wooosh there was a ton of water that came out of me and onto the floor.  Then the contractions hit me like a ton of bricks.  I could not handle it, I tried going into the whirlpool, I tried bouncing on a ball, I tried walking.  It was the most unbareable pain that I have ever felt, and 45 minutes later I was screaming for an epidural.  Now that I look back I honestly think that my mind was not strong enough from the lack of sleep to handle the pain.  I also wish that I would have had a chance to walk around or something before she just abruptly broke my water. 

I got the epi and relaxed the rest of the day.  Ahh.  Then a few hours later things started to look bad, DS's heartrate was going down with every contraction.  I had a nurse watching the heart tones the entire afternoon, she did mention a few times that they were all red flags.  I made it to a 10 at about 4 pm, or so my nurse thought.  When my Dr. came in she said, no you are a 9 and that means you are going backwards.  What???  She then proceeded to tell me that I could try and continue on but I would probably end up pushing and ending up with an emergency c-section anyway.  She said that it would be much easier if we just did a "non emergency" c-section.  I honestly think that she wanted to just talk me into a c-section so she could go home for Thanksgiving dinner.  I was scared, I did not want surgery, but I also did not want to hurt my baby.  My DH voted surgery, but that I had the ultimate decision.  I just said, OK lets take him out via c-section. 

I signed the papers and they wheeled me into the OR.  They tied me down to a table and gave me a liquid shot of something that would help my nausea.  Well, I puked it all up.  I remember trembeling, shivering, and crying.  They gave me so many meds I felt like I could not even breathe, I remember telling a Dr that it was so hard for me to breathe because my chest was so heavy. 

The surgeon was a sweetheart, he reassured me that he would not do anything until I could feel nothing.  Well, he was right, I was basically paralized from the neck down.  Then they told me about what they were seeing (baby only), I tried to think about him and pray that I would be fine and this is only a temperary experience.

Once they had DS out my DH got up and took pictures.  I finally got to see him after they checked him over, my DH brought him over and I said, "he looks just like you".  I got to give him a kiss and cuddle for about 2 seconds it seemed like. 

Once Oliver was cleaned up and I was back in the room I finally got to hold him.  I was so scared that I would drop him because my arms were still so numb.  It was the most amazing feeling in the world, holding your baby and meeting him for the first time.  Best part is he latched on right away!

I know that this is not the happiest of birth stories, and I still have issues with what all happened (or did not happen) until this day.  Main point is my son is here, healthy and beautiful!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Frustrating Birth Story

• Options

I'm sorry for your negative experience. However, the main point is NOT that your son is "here and healthy". That trite saying minimizes your pain and the negative experience you had. YOU are important too. The baby is not the only thing that matters.

The point is is that 1. You had a doctor who is reckless, who induced you with zero medical indication, and it led you to a completely unnecessary c-section, and 2. you did not do any research in advance of labor and delivery so that you could advocate better for yourself, and perhaps even switch providers when you realized how intervention heavy she was. What your doctor did was in direct violation of ACOG recommendations, and was totally not evidence based. Your theory that she just wanted to go home for Thanksgiving dinner is probably spot on.

I see that you are having your 2nd. If I were you, I would learn from this experience by finding a new care provider ASAP, if you haven't already. Also, start doing some heavy research into VBAC and the risks of repeat caesarean. I recommend you read the following books:

1. The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, 2. Pushed by Jennifer Block, 3. Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin. Also watch "The Business of Being Born".

These books and the documentary will really open your eyes to the current state of our overly medicalized birth culture, and with more knowledge, and a competent, caring medical provider you can have a birth experience that is a complete 180 from your first. Even if you end up having another c-sec, going in armed with information can help you feel more in control of the situation.

And for the record, before someone tells you how dangerous a VBAC is, the chance of your uterus rupturing is about .9%.

Good luck.

• Options
    I feel like doctors just push c sections. I am happy with the outcome of your story. Congrats but I will try everything in my power before having to get a c section. Hopefully your next baby can be a VBAC.p
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry they forced a C-section on you....but I agree with the first poster. It's YOUR body, and you had the right to fight for a natural (non surgical) birth. :( Sorry they were such dickwads!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    Your story reminds me of what just happened with my friend. I'm glad everything turned out well!
  • Options
    Congratulations on your healthy little boy!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    congratulations on a healthy baby!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"