D.C. Area Babies

Baby orajel follow-up (new FDA alert)

Remember we were talking about this a few weeks ago? FDA issued a new warning last week.

Of particular interest:

Methemoglobinemia has been reported with all strengths of benzocaine gels and liquids, including concentrations as low as 7.5%. The cases occurred mainly in children aged two years or younger who were treated with benzocaine gel for teething. People who develop methemoglobinemia may experience pale, gray or blue colored skin, lips, and nail beds; shortness of breath; fatigue; confusion; headache; lightheadedness; and rapid heart rate.  In some cases, symptoms of methemoglobinemia may not always be evident or attributed to the condition. The signs and symptoms usually appear within minutes to hours of applying benzocaine and may occur with the first application of benzocaine or after additional use. If you or your child has any of these symptoms after taking benzocaine, seek medical attention immediately.

Benzocaine products should not be used on children less than two years of age, except under the advice and supervision of a healthcare professional.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Baby orajel follow-up (new FDA alert)

• Yikes - that is scary. We will definitely not be using this. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Will be tossing the unopened box from the medicine cabinet - thanks!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I will admit to using this and appreciating its effectiveness. What do people use instead? Like in the middle of the night, when you can't exactly hand them a cold washcloth or whatever?

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• imagetomandcourt:
    I will admit to using this and appreciating its effectiveness. What do people use instead? Like in the middle of the night, when you can't exactly hand them a cold washcloth or whatever?

Tylenol or ibuprofen?
  • imagegtown_bride:
    imagetomandcourt:
    I will admit to using this and appreciating its effectiveness. What do people use instead? Like in the middle of the night, when you can't exactly hand them a cold washcloth or whatever?

Tylenol or ibuprofen?

we've done that or sometimes just trying to soothe him, hold him, rock him, nurse him. When it's bad, it's really bad but the outcome of using Orajel is much much worse.

did anyone see an ad in a parenting mag (don't remember which one) that advertised Orajel without the benzocaine?

• imagegtown_bride:
    imagetomandcourt:

Tylenol or ibuprofen?

We were lucky - DD was a very easy teether.  DS has been tougher because he won't accept anything to chew on during the day.  But we dose him with Tylenol about 15 minutes before bedtime for a few nights during the worst of each phase, and he sleeps without any problems.  I'd much rather give him "safe" meds, even if admittedly unnecessary, and have him get a good night's sleep than have him up all night and be unable to comfort him.

• Hyland's has teething tablets and a gel that is homeopathic, no numbing chemicals or anything like that. All natural stuff, our pedi recommends it.
  • I also use Camilla, you can get it on amazon, doesn't do anything for DS but others swear by it

• Before C could have ibuprofen, we did Tylenol and teething tablets (which come with their own controversy) and always kept a frozen washcloth in the freezer. Once ibuprofen entered out lives, everything else was meaningless.
    The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
  • just an FYI these tablets were recalled.  We use the liquid version now and it is very effective.

https://www.hylands.com/news/hylands-teething-recall.php

• imagejendonnelly10670:

just an FYI these tablets were recalled.  We use the liquid version now and it is very effective.

Doesn't the Hylands gel have the same ingredient (belladonna) that's at issue in the tablets?

• imagejendonnelly10670:

just an FYI these tablets were recalled.  We use the liquid version now and it is very effective.

Just started using the liquid for DD...seems to work most nights

• imagejendonnelly10670:

I read that they were coming out with new ones in early 2011.We honestly haven't bought them in over a year (thanks to sweet, glorious ibuprofen).

The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"