School-Aged Children
Options

Bullying in 1st grade

My 1st grader has come home crying multiple times the past few weeks. Granted she can be OVERLY sensitive sometimes, but I am really becoming quite concerned! I plan on calling the school tomorrow, but am unsure how to deal with this.

Do any of you ladies have any advice?

TIA

Re: Bullying in 1st grade

• Options

I'm a lurker... but wanted to give some advice.  I am a 2nd grade teacher and deal with this often.  Definitely call the teacher and let him/her know of your concerns.  There are times when students are bullied and teachers aren't aware (on the playground, at lunch, etc.).   I always tell my kids if it happens when I'm not around I dont know its happened and that they need to let me know as soon as possible.  However, there are teachers who know and don't act on it because they feel it isn't a "big deal".

I think you are doing the right thing by calling the school!   This way they are informed!   GL!

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • Options

My 1st grader has actually been dealing with this for about 2 weeks. Thankfully, the child has been reprimanded and it's slowed down a lot. 

When you go have a meeting with the teacher make for sure that they tell all of the specials teachers so that they are aware of the student bullying your child. My son's bully was making it a point to not necessarily do anything to him until they were under the care of their specials teachers such as the PE teacher or the recess teachers. Then, when he'd complain they'd tell him to try to handle it on his own, etc.

Make for sure that your child knows that they can tell any teacher they are with if they are being bullied. Let them know that they can go to the principal and counselor even. Make for sure that they understand that they won't get into more trouble for doing so.

When they are being bullied ask them if they've made a point to be loud when responding to them. So, instead of "just taking it" have them say "STOP *insert kids name* I don't like that". That way the bully has unwanted attention on them from their peers and it could help to stop the bullying and then of course it'd draw their teachers attention to the situation.

Encourage them to play with other kids and to avoid the bully when possible. Etc etc.

I feel for you. This can be and is most often times such a serious thing for these little kids. Bullying starts so early...  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Be the "squeaky wheel" for your child.  Like the 2nd grade teacher said in the PP, sometimes teachers don't pick up on the severity of bullying, or its impact on little ones.  What seems like standard kid name-calling to a relatively experienced adult can be very traumatic to a 7 y/o.  

Also, review with your child strategies for coping with mean people in an assertive way that doesn't provoke further bullying.  Some kids aren't "naturals" at this.  They need support and instruction to know how to handle this.

A good guideline for kids is to follow these steps:

--first, ignore it, move away, find someone else to play with.

--if that doesn't work, firmly say "you're being mean. I don't like that." 

--if it continues, immediately go to an adult and tell what the person is doing and what you've done to deal with it.  Don't tattle.  Ask for help in solving the problem.

HTH! 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    When DD comes home and says " so and so is making fun of them, or saying not so nice things" I tell her that not everyone is going to be nice to her. That's just the way the world works. Also, if they are making her feel bad and they are not to be considered her friends. She should hang out with other kids. Also, I always put in that they're only making fun of her because they are unhappy with themselves so for her to not worry about it.
  • Options
    My 1st grader just recently dealt with a bully. I am SO proud of her for speaking up about what was happening, because when school looked into it, it turned out that the girl was bullying about 5 or 6 other little girls as well! As DD put it, the girl would "find her on the playground and do her karate moves" on DD. I told DD to walk right up to a supervisor, point the girl out and say, "She is following me." when the girl approached her again. I told her not to run so the girl wouldn't think it was a chasing game or anything. I also e-mailed DD's teacher who said she would notify the supervisors. After some observation they found out the girl was indeed bullying several children and was disciplined.
    Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"