April 2011 Moms
Options

Zachary Ignatius' Birth Story (complicated, but successful induction)

I don't post often, but I always enjoy reading birth stories and thought I'd share mine.

I checked in for a scheduled induction at 1pm on Tuesday.  The Friday before I was at 2cm and favorable and due to chronic back issues (which started during my first pregnancy) that were increasingly incapacitating my doctor made the decision to induce at 39 weeks.  I was also induced with my first child who was overdue so I happily agreed to the plan.

It took awhile to get my IV started due to lousy veins, but the third person finally found one that didn't burst and we were on our way with the Pitocin.  The day got off to a slow start without much happening, but once things got moving it got a little crazy.  It was after 8pm when we decided to do the epidural to get me more comfortable before breaking my water because the back pain was almost unbearable on its own without the increasing contractions.  Soon after the epi was started and my water broken, my blood pressure dropped way too low.  I was feeling nauseous and shaking, but everyone stayed so calm and professional.  The room filled with medical professionals twice over the next hour as they tried to get me under control and keep the baby's heartbeat steady.  He dropped low once, but the oxygen they gave me helped bring his number back up and he stayed strong through all the rest of my ups and downs.

The epi and pitocin were both turned off when they stabilized me and were never turned all the way back up so I ended up with numb legs, but able to feel most everything else. Not ideal, but it wasn't worth the risk of my bp dropping again. Thank God, I progressed more quickly than with my first son and it was soon time to push. DS1 took 3 hours of pushing so I was shocked when I was able to deliver this little guy in less than 20 minutes of pushing.  What a blessing as he was born at 6:42am after no sleep (blood pressure alarm every 5 minutes makes sleep pretty impossible.)  I'm not sure I could have made it through a long final stretch.

Zachary Ignatius (Initials: ZIP) was perfect at 8lbs. 11oz. and 21.5 inches long.  He is a carbon copy of his big brother as a baby except for added dimples :)  I feel so blessed that it all turned out so well and I am so grateful for my supportive husband and reassuring doctor who helped me through the scarier moments.

Best of luck to all of you April moms who will actually be delivering in April :)  I pray your birth stories will have the same happy ending without any drama along the way.

Re: Zachary Ignatius' Birth Story (complicated, but successful induction)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"