Breastfeeding
Options

SAHM + EBFing: Do I need a pump?

Money is really tight, so we haven't invested in a good pump yet. [I have a manual one, free from the hospital, but it takes so long that by the time I'm done it's practically feeding time again!]

Anyway, do I need a pump? We haven't used one yet.. and he's slept through the night about 4 times now [not in a row] and although VERY FULL, I was still fine in the morning.

What do you think? 
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
PitaPata Cat tickers

Re: SAHM + EBFing: Do I need a pump?

• Options

Not really. I just now use one to build up a bit of a freezer stash since dh is deploying and wants to help feed ds and also we're traveling a lot seeing family before he goes.

You can get one for free if you qualify for WIC.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    i wont buy one. we bought a expensive one thinking i would use it for if i needed to leave him w/a babysitter. well i'm a sahm mom so i left him once w/his dad and he won't take the bottle. anyway i hate pumping and it was a waste of money for us
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Sarah - My BF makes $150/month too much for us to qualify. Grrr..

jh - Ouch.. that sucks.. Have you tried selling it? 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options
    I will eventually want to be able to go out and have someone else feed my baby on occasion and in order to do that I was told I would need to introduce a bottle to my baby so that she'll take it when she needs to. Because of that I bought a pump and am happy with my choice. 
  • Options
    imageNyki88:
    I will eventually want to be able to go out and have someone else feed my baby on occasion and in order to do that I was told I would need to introduce a bottle to my baby so that she'll take it when she needs to. Because of that I bought a pump and am happy with my choice. 
    . This. But my mom got me the Medela PISA that I registered for. We have some weddings and vacations coming up and we'll have to leave LO with my parents. We introduced a bottle at 4 weeks, I pump 2-3 times a week and he gets a bottle or two a week.
  • Options
    I think pumps are really helpful.  I'm glad I have one.  If I need to leave the house for a few hours, I don't have to rush home because I have pumped milk for the baby.  If money is tight, have you tried hand expression?  I am not great at pumping and sometimes it is actually faster for me to hand express.  It is a learned skill but it couldn't hurt to try.
  • Options
    I only have a manual pump and have used that with both kids. I love it and it works well for me. Mine is the Medela, but I don't know if there are different qualities among manual pumps. The main reason I have it is to build my freezer stash for later (sippy cups, solid foods) and she gets a bottle about 1-2 times a week from DH or someone else who wants to give it. I'm always there, but they just want to have an opportunity to feed her. In that respect, it's not mandatory; but it is handy if you want to take a couple hours to go somewhere and leave a bottle....or if you want to save some up in the freezer.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

my cousin had 3 kids, BF them each for close to a year and never had a pump. (however she could never leave the baby over a feeding.) And had to use formula to mix with cereal instead of BM.

If you have a low supply then yes you prob need one, but if dont then no.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"