Baby Names
Options

Katie-How popular?

It's hard to know exactly how popular this name since it's used as a NN so often for Katherine, Kathleen, etc.

I only know of 1 or 2 Katie's that are under the age of 3.  

How popular do you think the name is?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Katie-How popular?

• Options
    I dont know any under the age of 3 I know a few that are my age that go by Katie.  I'm not really sure of their full names.  I think it is a nice name and will always kinda be around :)
    Mommy's little helper :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't know any Katie's that aren't in my generation. My 2 year old cousin is Katelyn, and occassionally we call her Katie.
    BFP #1 6/3/10 | EDD 2/5/11 | Noelle born 1/28/11
    BFP #2 12/20/11 | EDD 8/24/12 | Natural M/C 12/22/11
    BFP #3 5/13/12 (Mother's Day!) | EDD 1/23/13 | Natural M/C 6/9/12 (blighted ovum discovered 6/7/12 at 7w1d)
    "And to think when their little eyes opened, the first thing they saw was the face of Jesus."
    My Ovulation Chart | My Baby Name List
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know several Katie's- but they're all around my age. I hear Kate/Cate more for younger girls these days. I think it's one of those names that will always be in  use- heard of, but not super trendy/overly popular.

• Options
    My DD is Kate (full name Katherine) and we run into a fair amount of Katherine/Kate/Katies.  I met a little Katie at a play group this morning.  I would say it is one of those names that is definitely around - you won't be too unique or different with a Katie - but she won't be one of 5 either.
  • Options
    I agree that Kate is more popular right now. I know one young Kate and no Katies.
  • Options

Katie itself ranks 143 on the SSA list.  

All of the more formal names that Katie is a derivative of, kinda makes it difficult to really gauge how popular the name is by numbers.

However, I don't know any little girl Katies.  The only one I know is about 28 years old. 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I know several Katies and they are of all ages. From babies to teens to my age. Kate is a lot less popular.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I know a couple Kates under 2. I think it will become more popular due to the new princess Kate Middleton.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It is hard to gauge how popular it is since it has so many longer names it derives from. I would not be a fan of it as a FN, it is a childish NN. My 16yo cousin goes by Katie, she had at one point asked to be referred to as Katherine but she is Katie to me now, so it was hard and she is back to being just Katie again, I don't think Katherine stuck. Kate does seem to be gaining but they may also have the NN of Katie to, someone said she won't be one of five in her  class, but I beg to differ, maybe not five but I bet she wouldn't be the only one.

• Options
    LMS05LMS05 member
    I know a lot of Katies, but they are my age. Kate seems to be more popular with children/babies now. 
  • Options

probably very popular, since most baby Catherines are going by Kate/Katie now instead of Cathy.

Katie on its own is a terrible name to give to a person who will one day be an adult professional and might want to be taken seriously. 

• Options

My name is Katherine, but I've always gone by Katie.  I was born in the 80's and growing up there were always several Katies my age, but it never really bothered me.  I've always loved my name.  Most were nicknames for Katherine and Kathleen.  I know it continues to be a common name in my area, but I'm not sure how popular.  As a PP said, Kate is also common. 

There was only one I've ever known whose actual name was Katie.  And I disagree with the PP.  I think it's ridiculous to assume someone with the name Katie will not be taken seriously in a professional environment.  I've known many successful women who continue to go by Katie regardless of whether it's their formal name or not.  It's a pretty common name/nickname.     

• Options
    imageAllie30:

probably very popular, since most baby Catherines are going by Kate/Katie now instead of Cathy.

Katie on its own is a terrible name to give to a person who will one day be an adult professional and might want to be taken seriously. 

I disagree.  I go by Katie exclusively and am taken seriously in my field as an attorney.

OP, I'm 28 and I love having the name Katie, though it's a nn for Kathleen.  There were two other Katies in my class- nns for Caitlin and Catherine.  I agree with pps that it will always be around as a nn of some sort! 

BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP # 1 2/5/11 DD born September 2011
    BFP #2 12/21/13 CP 12/29/13
    BFP# 3 1/11/15 EDD 9/15/15
  • Options
    I don't think it's as common for little ones today although it will never go out of style! Kate does seem to be more popular (and will only get moreso, I think, with Kate Middleton in the news).
  • Options
    I know 1 baby Kate- full name- that's all. Doesn't seem very popular in my area.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Very popular when you consider all the names it could be a nickname for: Katherine, Catherine, Katelyn, Caitlin, Kathryn and on and on and on.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    As a given name or NN?  I was a Katie growing up (FN Katherine), but now go by Kate, since some ppl apparently think Katherine is a mouth full and like to shorten to Kathy (ick!).  There were several others in my class, but only one whose FN was really Katie, but now I don't run into as many IRL.  IMO I would go with a more formal FN, as I would never dream of going by Katie as an adult professionally.  It's a diminutive.  Katherine is one of the oldest names around...
    TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

• Options

I teach HS. I have seen so many Kaitlyn, Katelyn, Kaitlen, Kaitlin, Caitlin, Katherine, Catherine, Kathleen, Cathleen, etc.  (Not to mention Kayla, Krista, Kyla, Kira, Kyra, etc.) that I  hope to never see another K name! :) 

When we were naming DS, this is the reason I NIXED all K names (hard C names too!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"