Washington Babies

Vacationing with Toddler ??

We leave for Maui in 2 1/2 weeks (WOOHOO!!!).  We are planning on renting a car, will be bringing our own car seat, stroller, pack and play etc. for the trip. 

I need advice on MUST HAVE items to bring both for the filght and the trip in general.  H got a TON of summer clothes in his current size for his birthday, so we should be set there.  I probably need to get him some new sunglasses and I still need to get some sunscreen.  What else do we absolutely need? Any ideas for keeping a 1 year old entertained on the plane for 5 hours if he doesn't sleep?? Our flight leaves in the morning .. (DH wants to get a portable DVD player..although he doesn't watch TV at home, so I don't know how long this will keep his attention)  What about good snack ideas to travel with?

And lastly how do you baby/toddler proof a condo/hotel ... what have those of you that have traveled done? DS is SO curious and loves getting into cupboards, outlets, drawers etc. and once he knows something doesn't have a lock that's the first place he goes ..how do you keep them out of things they aren't supposed to in the room?

You ladies always have great advice..so thanks in advance!! :)

Re: Vacationing with Toddler ??

• I don't know about the plane ride, but for the hotel room we always rearrange it. I move anything on the counter or table into the closet if possible. I also move tables and chairs so he can't climb on stuff as easy. I have found that most outlets are hidden behind furniture, but I still bring some outlet covers just in case. Have fun on your trip! We leave for our vacation in about two weeks to Great Wolf Lodge but it isn't as glamourous.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I hear that masking tape can help with babyproofing.  I will be traveling to Florida with DD soon and am dreading the plane ride.  
  • Loading the player...
  • G was about the same age as your LO when we went to San Diego last year.  I bought a bunch of books and toys from the dollar bins at Target and loaded them up the the diaper bag.  I also packed a TON of snacks, including treats I wouldn't normally give him to snack on (like Oreos).  Between the toys and snacks, I was able to keep him entertained.

On the flight down we had a short layover.  I typically like to fly direct, but the layover was a life saver!  Being able to get out of the plane, walk around, and have a change of scenery made the trip down SO much easier than the flight back, which was direct.

• For the plane: a magnadoodle, crayons & stickers with a coloring book, and gel window clings (check the seasonal aisle at Target) were the biggest hits.  We stocked up on those fruit/veggie puree pouches (Ella's, Plum Organics or HappyTot) and cereal bar type things.  And I second hitting the Target $1 aisle.
  • When watching movies the plane is too noisy to hear anything without head phones. We have a pair of those giant Bose ones that Ella wears. At first, I had to hold them on her head, with the ear parts next to her ear, not touching. Then she got used to it and is fine wearing them now.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I bring outlet covers and a night light. Oh and a sound machine. Masking tape is a great idea. You might at least slow down progress on opening cupboards or drawers. And just move things up high. An bring a bunch ohms antibacterial wipes to scrub everything down like the door knobs, drawer pulls, tv remote, phones. All of thode things that don't get cleaned. Have fun!!
  • imageSeattle_JiLLn:
    I bring outlet covers and a night light. Oh and a sound machine. Masking tape is a great idea. You might at least slow down progress on opening cupboards or drawers. And just move things up high. An bring a bunch ohms antibacterial wipes to scrub everything down like the door knobs, drawer pulls, tv remote, phones. All of thode things that don't get cleaned. Have fun!!

Good thinking with sanitizer wipes...I will def pack some of those and I was thinking outlet covers too ..I have a sound machine type app on my phone..so I might just use that to avoid packing the huge alarm thing we have. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"