Baby Showers
Options

I'm getting criticism for not wanting a baby shower!

I am pregnant with my first child, very excited (and nervous!) about it, and don't have a problem sharing the news with people. However, once people ask me if I am having a baby shower, and I tell them I don't particularly want one, they give me this incredulous look like I am depriving my unborn child of this event! I have just gone to so many showers, and just don't want to sit through one that I can prevent. I have told people that if anything, I would like a nice, informal, BBQ or picnic  with board games, cards, and the like, preferably at a park (I am due in the summer), and it is OPTIONAL for people to bring gifts. Some people that I have told this are all for it, others think I have gone nuts. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Re: I'm getting criticism for not wanting a baby shower!

• Options

People probably just thinks its strange that you don't want a "formal" shower...but theres nothing wrong with the BBQ/picnic idea.  That's what I hope to have when DH & I finally get KU lol

• Options
    While I would like a shower, I can see where you are coming from. I hate formal showers (I kind of hate formal anything). My ideal shower would be a back yeard BBQ at my inlaws. They have a nice yard and a pool. I would love just BBQ food, yard games, tables and chairs set up in the yard, and swimming if anyone wants to. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I turned down a shower. They give up bugging you eventually. But you have to put your foot down and refuse to keep talking about it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I didn't particularly want one either, but had one thrown for me anyway.

Just roll with it. Maybe no one will offer to throw you one. 

• Options

I know how you feel. I don't want a baby shower either. If anything, I'd rather do something simple with close family and friends.

I say, don't listen to anybody who is giving you crap about it. It's your life, your baby. You do what YOU want, not what other people want and expect you to do.  Let them have a baby shower when they have kids or their kids have kids.

I can't stand when people always interfere in other peoples business!!

Why don't people understand that it's okay not to be in the norm! Times are changing. We are not obligated to do things in a traditional way all the time.

Just don't let them get to you. Focus on yourself and your baby. (:

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

If someone wants to host a shower let them know you just want a BBQ get together at a park.  Othewise just host your own meet the baby BBQ after your child is born, especially since it will be in the summer months.

• Options
    I do understand, I'm having my second quite a few years after my first and my mother is insistant in a baby shower and I keep telling her that I do not like attending them, nor do I wish to have one. I have expressed this to my friends/co-workers and they all look at me like I have two heads. Don't get me wrong I do appreciate the thought, but I still think my wishes should be respected.
  • Options
    I agree with everyone. The family members are understanding about what I would like and are ok with it. At work, I found out they are going to throw me a "surprise" shower anyway even though I declined the offer, but it doesn't bother me. I am now just seeing it as people who care about me and like to throw parties. Either way, formal or not, I think it will be fun. I used to get exasperated by people no listening to me but now I'm thinking that is stress that I don't need, or want, right now, if they want to do it I'm not going to argue wit them, and I guess that means more stuff for the baby!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"