D.C. Area Babies
Options

Random poll re: pacis, thumbs & loveys

DD#1 is a total thumbsucker...always has been (we even have ultrasound pics of her sucking her thumb!).  I thought DD#2 was going to be a paci kid, but that turned out to be rather short-lived...we tried to introduce a lovey several months ago and while she likes several of her animals/dolls, nothing has "taken"...so there is really nothing that she uses regularly to help soothe her.  It's not really an issue, it just makes me curious...and makes me feel bad when in some circumstances all we can do is let her CIO to get her to calm down.

So I'm curious, what's the soother of choice for your LO?  Thumb?  Paci? Lovey?  None of the above?

Re: Random poll re: pacis, thumbs & loveys

• Options

we don't do paci's except for in emergencies (planes - pretty much that's it!) and neither of my kids would really take one anyway.

DS never really took to any particular lovey and never sucked his thumb. he has had a few things in the past that he liked (mostly cars) to carry around with him, but not one in particular. last year, after our pets died, he insisted on having the blanket the cat was wrapped in when she was PTS. strange, he was not there and did not know this was that blanket. he took that blanket everywhere for months. when DD was born, he gave it to her. 

DD sucks her thumb here and there. she also sucks her fingers a lot (think nearly whole fist in mouth). she doesn't have a paci and has shown no preference to a lovely. but, she's only 6 months old!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DD used a paci until she was four months old, then just gave them up altogether. Now she uses this blankie as a lovey, and sucks on them (it's really quite nasty). We own eight of them because we're constantly rotating so they can get washed.

It is helpful because it calms her down to suck on it when she's upset, or when she's going to sleep. I'm curious if sucking this will be better/worse/neutral for her teeth than sucking her thumb.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are a thumb and lovey household. Not that I taught her that at all-- its just what sort of naturally progressed. GL!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    For DD, it's her thumb and this Fisher Price seahorse.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    C is a paci boy. We limit it to his crib (and will eventually have to wean from it all together [shudder]). He also has a few stuffed animals that he snuggles with, but they generally stay in his crib as well.
    The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    In order of preference, M would choose:

1. Me

2. Pacifier

3. His stuffed bear
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    DD likes her stuffed animals best, but hasn't really gotten super attached to any one.  (There was a short phase with Pat the Bunny being the best thing ever, and I bought a spare just in case, but then she moved on to a different one.)  Right now she has a favorite bear, but honestly when she's really upset she's more likely to push away all of her favorite things than cling to one.  I kind of like that she's not obsessed with one thing so I don't have to worry about losing it or it getting gross from over-love.
    imageimageimage
  • Options

J has always been a paci kid. There was one tough sleep regression, when he was little and couldn't find it himself, that kind of sucked because we had to go in there and give it to him. But now he grabs it when he needs it and it helps calm him down a lot. He rarely uses it out of the crib, though - only when he's not feeling well, or when we're in the car on long trips.

A few (actually 6? 8?) months ago we introduced a Taggie blanket, and now he needs that to sleep (but doesn't carry it around the house or anything). DH actually figure this one out, because J's hands were always moving around as he fell asleep and sometimes he would poke himself in the face or knock out his paci. We gave him the blanket, and he rubs the little tags to help him fall asleep.Whenever he wakes up at night you can see him feeling around until he finds it - it's super cute.

He doesn't use either of these for naps at daycare, though, which is weird.

ETA: He's also never sucked his thumb (except to get food off of it) and doesn't seem to care about his stuffed animals at all - which sucks since we got so many of them as gifts and he totally ignores them.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options

I was DD's lovey; I tried to intro something else, but she was not interested. When DS was born, she became attached to a blanket (at almost 20 mo old).

DS (almost 10mo old) has no lovey either, except for me.

DD gave up her pacifier at 4mo old and DS at 6mo old and I was super happy about that!

Neither is a thumb-sucker, another thing I'm glad for. DS does put various fingers/hands into his mouth but he's teething a lot right now.

• Options

DS never had an attachment to anything.  He has a puppy that DH bought him when he was born that he likes in his bed, but nothing really to soothe him.

DD likes her belly button.  The past year I have not been able to put her in any 1 piece outfits or sleepers because she can't get to her belly button.  

• Options

DD is a thumb sucker.  She usually has one thumb in her mouth and the other either pinching/pulling at her bellybutton or rubbing her ear.

DS sometimes sucks his fingers but mostly just nurses to soothe for now.

imageimage

TTC #1 Cycle 14 - IUI#1=BFN, IUI#2=BFP | TTC #2 Cycle 8=BFP!! imageimage

• Options

DS never took a paci, despite my desperate attempts when he was a fussy infant, has never sucked his thumb, and only recently (starting at about 20 months) has attached himself to a stuffed Elmo. Elmo goes many places with us, but he's able to part with it and leave Elmo "sleeping" in the car when we go into stores. We'll see how the next one ends up!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageHikerBride07:

DD is a thumb sucker.  She usually has one thumb in her mouth and the other either pinching/pulling at her bellybutton or rubbing her ear.

DD#1 LOVES to rub her ear (and other people's ears) while she's sucking her thumb when she's tired. 

• Options

For about 8 months, Mickey Mouse was it (it didn't which it was), but now she really does have just one.  She loves her stuffed animals pretty equally (she has about 6 favorites).  Sometimes, it a book and other times it's a ball--to the point that both of them have ended up in the crib at bedtime to avoid a meltdown.

She was never attached to a paci; however, I have found that if I can get her to stuck any rubbery sippy cup, she will often calm down.  That of course only works in the middle of the day and if her mouth is open enough for me to put it in.

• Options

DS never took to a paci, his thumb, or a lovey. He likes his blanket in his bed, and will give a hug to a couple of stuffed animals, but his inanimate objects of choice are kitchen utensils - spatulas, wooden spoons, etc. They are what he wants first in the morning and last thing before bed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DD never took to a lovey or paci or any other comfort item. I tried, but she had me, her favorite lovey. 
  • Options
    imageDCtoLowcountry:

DS never took to a paci, his thumb, or a lovey. He likes his blanket in his bed, and will give a hug to a couple of stuffed animals, but his inanimate objects of choice are kitchen utensils - spatulas, wooden spoons, etc. They are what he wants first in the morning and last thing before bed.

Ha! I can't decide which is funnier, this or the belly buttons.

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options

DD is 4 and still sucks her thumb. She actually didn't even start until she was 3 and we moved. The pediatrician said it was normal for kids to start a new soother when going through a big change. She likes to sleep with blankets and stuffed animals in her bed but she's never taken to a particular lovey. 

DS has a monkey that he took to around 7 months. He still drags it all over the house and sleeps with it during naps and at night.

Both kids took pacifiers as babies. I took DDs away at 11 months and took DSs at 16 months. DS would have had it in his mouth 24 hours a day if I would have let him.  

Married 7.9.05
    DD1 9.24.06
    DS 7.1.08
    twins due 9.7.11 lost twin A at
    DD2 4.7.12
  • Options
    imagekellnbri:

DD likes her belly button.  The past year I have not been able to put her in any 1 piece outfits or sleepers because she can't get to her belly button.  

my DD has a very weird belly button, there is a name for it (which escapes me), it basically has a little stem that sticks out of it; and she loves to touch it, a little less now but she went thru months of touching so much, she actually got an infection! We were going to close it but decided not to. DS was born with the same and we closed his very early on, 2week or 1mo Dr check-up.

• Options

Maggie used her paci until about 9 mop when she kept throwing ALL of them out of her crib so she basically de-paci'ed herself.  She never really took to anything I put in her crib - blanket, stuffed animal, dolly etc.  Even when she would hold this one lamb stuffed animal at night she then left it at my sister's who couldn't find it but Maggie had no problem sleeping without it and didn't even ask for it.  She now has some things she likes - her special blanket and she rotates around with choosing stuffed animals to sleep with but I haven't noticed any drawbacks to her not attaching to anything.

Molly on the other hand had her paci until last week when she chewed through the last of them.  She also has had no night or nap problems since (SO lucky because  thought this was going to be a huge issue).  She does have a this little rabbit headed blanket that is the only thing in her crib I will ever catch her sleeping with.

• Options
    My LO sucks the first two fingers on his left hand and he loves his cloth diaper/burp cloths as loveys. Fortunately, he is not particular about which "burpie" he has, so we have about 20 of them. Recently, he has decided that one burpie is good, but multiple burpies is better!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DD #1 sucks her thumb, either one.  We told her she had to stop when she turned four, which was last month, so we're goading her about it more and more.

DD #2 sucks the middle and ring fingers on only her left hand.

Both used pacis when they were really young, but when they "found" their hands as infants they preferred them. 

DS looks like he might prefer the thumb.

DD #1 also sleeps with a particular baby doll.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"