3rd Trimester

Nipple gunk!?

This might be TMI, but I'm wondering what's up with my nipples. My nipples sometimes have these little bits of "gunk" (it doesn't look dirty ... it almost looks like little bits of skin/seeds of discharge) that are literally stuck between the pore-like surface of my nipples! Some days more than others. What the heck is this stuff? Is it just skin (my nipples are stretching) or bits of colostrum discharge that hardens. Two questions: (1) is this normal, and (2) what IS it?

I've read previous posts on "leaking" nipples ... there's no wetness, and I don't "leak" ...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Nipple gunk!?

• Oh I've had this! I have no idea what it is though. Hopefully someone can help us!
    DSC_0213 

BabyFruit Ticker

• I have this too and from what I have heard, it is your 'milk' coming in/leaking a bit.  My dr said it is just your boobs way of telling you that they work!
  • Loading the player...
  • I've always assumed it's little chunks of dried colostrum.  I've had it with both pregnancies (although, like you, no actual leaking of liquid) and never thought much about it.

There are so many weird things that happen when you are PG!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • i have this too!! But i agree with pp, its nothing but our boobs way of telling us they work!
  • I didn't have it with my first but I have it this time. Hopefully my milk will come in faster with this one!
  • I have had this for the longest time. I think it's dried colostrum that hasn't come out all the way. Especially since two weeks ago I started to actually leak. But it doesn't happen all the time or a whole lot it was like a drip.
    Mom of 3 (Ginny 4 yrs old), (Miles 2 yrs old), and (Mason due June 15th) 
  • It's dried milk/colostrum. I'll sometimes find flakes or clumps of it in my bra at the end of the day too. Yummy, isn't it?

May 2011 Siggy Challenge
    imageimageimage

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I concur with with the rest. I believe its leakage, thats drying.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah, I get that too. No actual leakage yet *knocks on wood* but in the morning I have white-ish gunk on them that I clean off in the shower.
  • imageKhloesMom:
    It's dried milk/colostrum. I'll sometimes find flakes or clumps of it in my bra at the end of the day too. Yummy, isn't it?

This, I asked my doctor about it b/c I started leaking and having the crusty nips so early.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have that too.  I call it "boob boogers."  It's dried colostrum.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Whew! So I guess I'm not a freak of nature. Thanks ladies for letting me know this is normal!! Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"