Baby Showers
Options

Going to a red egg ceremony. Do I need to bring a gift?

I already went to a baby shower and now there is a red egg dinner.  Do I need to bring another gift?

TIA

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Going to a red egg ceremony. Do I need to bring a gift?

• Options
    Yes. Typically, for a baby boy the gift is usually money in a red envelope; for a baby girl jewlery. But you won't leave empty handed. At red egg dinners the guest gets to go home with a red egg.
  • Options

I had never heard of this, so I had to google it.  Very neat.  I like it.

My best friend's mom, who is the queen of etiquette, would say, yes.  You get a gift for every invitation.  It may not be required, but it is proper and polite.

So I would at least do something small.  As pp suggested, money is good (for a boy or girl, IMO) or you could do earrings for a girl.  I got my niece a pair for her first. :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Very interesting!  Have a great time!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

In my husband's family, regardless of gender, we give red envelopes with money.  I generally do a red envelope with two crisp one-dollar bills (yeah, I'm the bank teller's nightmare, but my MIL would pass out if the money was crinkled).  If you're not familiar with the Chinese culture, odds are that nobody would think twice if you didn't bring the envelope... but they'd be totally impressed if you did.

• Options
    My husband's family is Chinese so we are planning on having a Red Egg party about a month after the baby is born. We will try to incorporate as much of the "fun" traditional parts as we can, but we certainly won't do all of them like shaving the baby's head! We won't expect/require gifts either, but they will certainly be welcome and appreciated. We will give our guests dyed eggs of some sort as well. I thought about making a "paper" egg that is more or less a frame around a picture of our baby once it's born. I figure some people might not want to eat hard-boiled eggs in September!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"