September 2015 Moms
Options

Pads or depends for after birth?

I'm a FTM and I'm just starting to write out my list of all the things I will need after birth. Ladies who have had babies- what do you recommend? I've heard the hospital gives you those huge long pads for bleeding- but I was wondering if the depends for women would do the trick too? I already plan on going and buying lots of comfy big underwear for afterwards, just don't know if depends would work too since they are like a giant pad you don't need underwear with! Any suggestions would be great! TIA!!

Re: Pads or depends for after birth?

• Options
    I've been debating this. I wore pads with my first too, but got blood everywhere (panties, clothes), so I'm thinking about depends, but do I really want to wear a diaper? Still debating...
  • Options
    sgleavesgleave member
    I'm a FTM too and I'm leaning towards Depends, at least for the first few days/weeks. There are new "styles" out now marketed towards a younger depends crowd, haha, that aren't quite as diaper-y
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Im a FTM too and I'm definitely doing depends! They have different styles now. And I'd rather wear a diaper than a pad and be leaking everywhere. No thanks!
  • Options
    I never even thought about this before... I guess I'll use pads and if I really bleed a lot ill probably switch to depends. How embarrassing for hubby cause he'll have to go get them for me ;)
  • Options
    I used the big pads for like 2 days at the hospital but they were huge and uncomfortable to me. The best ones I used was always infinity like the night time or heavy flow one.
  • Options
    WDDCHWDDCH member
    Maybe get one pack of Depends and if you end up needing another you can send a friend or spouse or whoever out to get more.

I've only ever used pads and stuff does get everywhere, even with the long overnights. I may get a pack of Depends too.

The heaviest postpartum bleeding is day 1-3. But after that it's like a heavy period and if you're resting a lot (as you should!) then you know most pads leak when you're laying down. So yeah Depends sound like a good idea.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    KERJFKERJF member
    With two kids I never found the need for depends. But its totally a personal preference type of thing I think :)

imageimage
  • Options
    I really didn't bleed much afterwards so I just used always infinity pads for a few days.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I used whatever the hospital gave me and didn't leak. But I think OP may be onto something with depends. Lol. I never thought of using them.
  • Options
    The nurses gave me tons of those mesh panties and humongous pads before I left the hospital, so I'll be asking for more this time around, too.  I agree with @WDDCH that the bleeding is heaviest on days 1-3 after you have your baby. By the time I ran out of the hospital supply of pads, I could use regular/overnight Always pads.
  • Options
    Wow! I never even thought about depends I bleed a lot with my 1st and don't feel like buying all new underwear when I finally stop. But I was looking online and they have ones that look like underwear with the protection. Genius idea!
  • Options
    KERJF said:

With two kids I never found the need for depends. But its totally a personal preference type of thing I think :)

This exactly.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I used always overnight. Worked great. Also worked great for when my water broke and we drove to the hospital
  • Options
    Hahaha, @barrelocarol ! I can just imagine you sneaking in the house with a pack of depends, scurrying off to your hiding spot, and tucking them away. Hilarious imagery!
  • Options
    Baby 3 here and I am seriously debating on buying depends this time!!! I had to use the really thick overnights when I came home from the hospital bc I was stitched and needed the padding/pillow! Lol! The mesh undies at the hospital are great but weren't enough support to keep my pads in place...I do have to say the major life savor for me was tucks pads...they kept my stitches from catching on the pad :((
  • Options
    I don't think I could handle wearing a diaper, though it would be convenient. I normally use tampons or a lunette, so even a normal pad feels gigantic. The hospital pads bugged me, so I switched to my own after the first day. I got always overnights and wore black undies and black or brown comfy pants-no visible stains, and I felt more like myself.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I just wore over night pads. I also bought a pack of giant comfy fruit of the loom undies. I threw a chux pad (those big blue water proof pad things) on my bed at night for the first week or so to save my sheets
  • Options
    Oh, and another thing that saved my life! The hospital sent me home with witch hazel pads. I would just layer one on top of my pad every time I changed it. Witch hazel is amazing! Very soothing on your sore girly parts. I couldn't find any of the pads at the store so I just bought a bottle of the liquid and soaked gauze pads in it.
  • Options

Oh, and another thing that saved my life! The hospital sent me home with witch hazel pads. I would just layer one on top of my pad every time I changed it. Witch hazel is amazing! Very soothing on your sore girly parts. I couldn't find any of the pads at the store so I just bought a bottle of the liquid and soaked gauze pads in it.

Look for tucks. They are in my supermarket. Guaranteed target or any big store will have them near the preparation H. They are an absolute must have.
  • Options
    str13str13 member
    I liked the ones the hospital sent with me. I just loaded up on those before I left. I agree with pp that it's all personal preference though!!
  • Options
    I've always just used the pads at the hospital and they've done the trick. I did know someone that had a really hard labor - pushed for a long time, and had to use depends for a few weeks after delivery.
  • Options
    monicaPmonicaP member
    I would layer a pad inside the depends. That sounds like overkill, but I thought of the depends more as an overflow catcher so I just never had to worry about bleeding through. I only did this while at the hospital and maybe first day home then I switched to the super long, super thick, overnights. I put my package of depends into my maternity bin because I only used half and will have them this go around.
  • Options
    FTM here. When I started getting periods, my mom had me use a sanity belt with the HUGE maxi pads. I'm not going back to that. I will use depends and always infinity. I generally use Diva Cup, but sacrifices need to be made.
  • Options
    I did depends the second time around and they seriously were a lifesaver. I did pads for the first day or so during the hospital stay with the depends then switched to just the depends. I will be doing that again this time. The depends offer so much more belly support versus the mesh underwear.
  • Options
    With my first I bought some pads online that had an ice pack in them, I tore with her and was never really in pain. That was over a decade ago, when I had my second he came early so I didn't even have time to research if you could still buy them. The hospital gave me not only witch hazel but some kind of numbing spray that was awesome. With both I bled quite a bit for the first day or two but never felt like I needed more than a pad.
  • Options
    Mehilovna said:

Hahaha, @barrelocarol ! I can just imagine you sneaking in the house with a pack of depends, scurrying off to your hiding spot, and tucking them away. Hilarious imagery!

This just made me SCREAM LAUGH!!
    =)) That's EXACTLY what happens! We call it "utility room activities." When my husband hears mousy movements, like crinkling plastic, he asks "Are you doing something in the utility room, again?" :))
  • Options
    str13str13 member
    I was going to add that they had disposable pads that were like 2 square feet at my hospital. They would put hose under me so that if I did bleed through the pad I could just throw everything out. I took some home with me for the first couple days, then the bleeding tapered a bit.

I remember bleeding so bad once while we had company in the room that once they left I stood up and took everything off, and just took a shower. :( this time I'll just announce "sorry folks! I'm bleeding again!!"

Mehilovna said:

This just made me SCREAM LAUGH!!
    =)) That's EXACTLY what happens! We call it "utility room activities." When my husband hears mousy movements, like crinkling plastic, he asks "Are you doing something in the utility room, again?" :))
    You guys are killing me!! I just laughed so hard! I interrupted Mickey Mouse and R just shot me a dirty look! Lol
  • Options
    I'm thinking Depends would be easier... But then I'm laughing to myself because I plan to use cloth diapers for the baby. Isn't it kind of defeating the purpose of creating less waste if I'm wearing diapers instead of the baby? lol I guess bleeding is a whole new can of worms. I'm so excited to finally have this baby to cuddle but some things I'm just not looking forward to...
  • Options
    kehagskehags member
    I used pads with my first, and depends with my second. I'm definitely getting Depends again. It's just so much easier.
  • Options
    I used pads and will again.  I have really big granny panties that I only wear for postpartum that I don't care if they get stained.  For the first few weeks I sleep on a towel anyway so I don't have to change the whole bed when baby poops/pees/spits up on it.  Just get a clean towel :-P
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Oh I forgot to mention that I did wear two overlapping pads on the days when it was heaviest to cover more territory.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    J0C0TXJ0C0TX member

I was in the hospital with my 2 for 4 nights and by the time I was home always was grand!

• Options

I don't even acknowledge my use of tampons. I hide them from my husband. Side note: He finds them and asks "um, why do you feel the need to do this?" Love that man.

I actually think diapers sound very freeing. I HATE operating pads and liners and having them mush around in my underwear. I'll totally buy (and hide) depends.

@PrincessPiper Thanks for the good find!

Totally off topic, but when we were kids my dad bought us ferrets. Those little weasels would steal our tampons, pads, and the baby's diapers and hide their little stashes all around the house hahahaha!! That's what I was imagining when reading your post =))

Oh and I'll totally get a box of depends and wear them like a BOSS!