March 2011 Moms
Options

Anyone else having a big baby?

I had my 36 week appt. today, and my doctor also scheduled me for a growth ultrasound.  Baby is estimated at 7lbs 10oz (+or-1lb).  I am measuring at 39 weeks.  I am only a finger tip dilated (which OB says is good for 1st timer), and baby is still very high.  She said that I need to hope to go in labor the next week or two.  They will not induce based on size.  If the baby gets too big, they will do a c-section.  She suggested walking a lot and having lots of sex.

Anybody else facing this same scenario?

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone else having a big baby?

• Options

Possibly.  DS #1 wasn't huge, but he was decent sized (8lbs 5oz) he was bigger than anyone was expecting me to have.  So it's possible this one will be a decent size as well, but my doctor's haven't made any guesses and I haven't had a growth ultrasound.  I've been measuring about a week ahead.

So your Dr. is basically telling you that they'll just schedule a c-section if you don't go into labor in the next two weeks just because baby may or may not be big??  Personally, there's no way I would ever agree to that.  There's no way for them to absolutely know for sure how big your baby is and if you can or cannot deliver them vaginally.  As you know growth u/s can be off quite a bit, so I definitely wouldn't let them base it on that.

I wasn't able to deliver DS vaginally, we think it was due to his position....but it's possible he was just too big for me.  But I'm doing a VBAC this time knowing #2 could be just as big and it may not be possible, but I'd much rather attempt to deliver him vaginally and then have a c/s, than just sign up for a c/s and find out the baby is not big.

Good luck!

• Options

i kind of am at my 35 week appt i had a growth ultrasound and baby was estimated at 6 pounds 9 ounces. she said that by my due date he should be around 8ish pounds, ive been measuring 2 weeks big forever!

i am not dialted at all but he is head down and she felt his little head. (lets hope its a little head haha)

but the only thing she said is that she hopes i go into labor a little early just so he doesnt get to big and she gave me 2 days to pick that i can be induced if i wanted. and one is after my due date so im going to pick that one, unless he comes earlier.

i dont wannt to be induced or have a csection so hopefully the little stinker comes out before hand with no problems! :)

well goood luck! :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    At my 39 week appointment, my OB estimated that DS is 7 1/2 to 8 pounds.  Not terrible, except I am only 5 feet tall, very petite, and only fingertip dilated.  He said I would probably not go into labor before my 40 week appointment, and so far he's been right.  No signs of labor at all so far.  We have an ultrasound scheduled on the due date, March 2, and we'll make our decisions from there.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    At my 31w growth ultrasound, baby was already estimated at 5.5 pounds. I have another growth ultrasound scheduled in a week to get a better grasp on his size, although that can be off by a pound either direction. I would be hesitant to agree to an automatic c-section if LO doesn't arrive by 39 weeks as many women can birth 10+ lb babies without incident. You never know until you try.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My growth u/s's were correct, but that is very uncommon! My baby was about 9lbs but she was too big for me to push out so I ended up with a section. :( My dr was going to induce based on her size at 39 weeks, but he ended up inducing at 38.5 weeks due to my BP.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

At 38wk growth u/s they estimated LO to come out at 8.5-9lbs.  He's in the 84th percentile apparently.  The estimate had gone down from 10lbs!  All systems are go for a natural home birth still.  Midwife is not concerned as she's delivered bigger naturally and w/out complications.  Also my mom birthed my 9lb brother VBAC and all went well.  Hopefully it's in my genes to push this baby out safely.  

Have been going on lots of walks and doing lots of pelvic opening exercises.  Also practicing various pelvic opening birth positions.  On all fours is a favorite right now. 

• Options

I had my 36 week appointment today and am in your same boat.  Baby measured 7lbs 13 ozs (gained 3 lbs 2 ozs in the last 4 weeks) and I am not really dialated at all.  The OB was in a rush since she has a patient about to give birth so we didn't have much time to talk but she still thought I would go closer to my due date (28 days away). 

I'm now thinking that the baby may come early (or maybe that's wishful thinking) and want to get my butt in gear to get everything ready - I feel like there is so much left to do!

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Kind of. At my 35w appointment the doctor said I was measuring large and she predicted LO to be about 6lbs at that point. She also scheduled me for a growth ultrasound for next week so we will see how that goes. She said that we will try to a vaginal birth and if the baby doesn't fit through my pelvis go ahead with a C-section.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Baby was 7 pounds at 35 weeks.  He is also breech so I have a tentative c-section date of March 17th.  I'm hoping he will flip. 

The issue with big babies and vaginal delivery isn't overall weight.  Lots of women give birth to large babies.  When they do the growth ultrasound they are specifically looking for the size of the abdomen and shoulders.  I know that even if LO flips there is still a chance I could have to have a c-section because his abdomen has consistently been in the upper 90's percentile wise.  I am dreading a c-section and it is a last resort for me, BUT, a few years ago a friend of mine refused a c-section when her doctor warned her that the baby's shoulders would not fit.  She decided to have a vaginal birth with a midwife and the baby passed away in the birth canal.  The midwife tried every position and technique. 

I'm under the care of both a regular OB and peri.   As of now they say they will let me actively labor for about 3 hours (assuming he's not still breech), but I'm not going to fight them if they say a c-section is the safest delivery option. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"