Washington Babies
Options

s/o Purses -- Diaper bag vs Purse

I'm curious if diaper bag carrying mamas also carry a purse.  My diaper bag came in last weekend (I love it!) and I'm kind of thinking I'll also use it for my wallet, phone, etc.  In that case, I wouldn't carry a separate purse.  If you carry just a diaper bag, can you fit your typical purse contents in the bag, too?

Do you carry both or just the diaper bag?

Photo by J Shelton Photography

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Married 10/5/08 | 2 yrs of TTC, tests, procedures & a m/c | IVF #2 =James!

Re: s/o Purses -- Diaper bag vs Purse

• Options
    I am planning to just use diaper bag, it has lotsa pockets and it's stylish enough to be both. Actually, Ive been using my Hop Skip diaper bag as my purse since I got it several months ago! Now I just need to transition it to mostly diaper bag Smile
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Options

I bring both, for two reasons:

1. My diaper bag is an open tote and I don't want my wallet and stuff hanging out.

2. Sometimes I just need to run into somewhere fast, like Starbucks or the bank, and I just pop a diaper and wipes case into my purse and go.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it's a lot easier to put my wallet, keys, and phone in the diaper bag. That said, all of my purses are huge so it's a pita to carry both :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I just use my diaper bag.  All I need is my wallet, keys, cell and lip gloss, which easily fit into my diaper bag.  As a result, I get pretty excited when I go out on my own and get to ditch the diaper bag. :)
  • Options
    I put it all in my diaper bag, but my stuff is usually in its own wristlet/clutch that fits in the main compartment.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I only carried a diaper bag and put my purse stuff in the front pocket of my bag.   Now I only carry a purse and I put a few diaper things in there.
  • Options

Oh and for a while I had a thing like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Handbag-Purse-Organizer-Pockets-Storage/dp/B002RWWRYG

And then I could just pull that out of my diaper bag and throw it into my purse if I only wanted a purse. 

• Options

I've always carried my purse and a small diaper.  Like seriously small.  It was the little mini one that came in a set with my big diaper bag.  I've only used the big one a couple times, once when a friend was babysitting her, and for our newborn photos when I was taking props and outfits.

I like the idea of just carrying one bag, but I love my purse too much to give it up, and it's not big enough to hold my stuff and Livy's.  For now the mini bag carries her diapers, wipes, sippy, snacks and a couple toys, and for a quick trip into a store or shop I have a little case that holds just a couple diapers and wipes and I throw that in my purse.  It doesn't exactly "fit" but it keeps everything together. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMrsH_08:

I'm curious if diaper bag carrying mamas also carry a purse.  My diaper bag came in last weekend (I love it!) and I'm kind of thinking I'll also use it for my wallet, phone, etc.  In that case, I wouldn't carry a separate purse.  If you carry just a diaper bag, can you fit your typical purse contents in the bag, too?

Do you carry both or just the diaper bag?

What kind of diaper bag did you get?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I have a fairly large diaper bag and have never carried a purse and a diaper bag - too much and redundant. I just put my wallet in the zippered part of the diaper bag and a few other things but that's it. I have a handbag that I use when I don't have the kids with me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Just a diaper bag.  I switch out between my purses and the diaper bag depending on if I'm going somewhere with Jagger or not.  If I am just going somewhere with Cruz I don't need a diaper bag.  To carry both would be a PIA!
    imageimage Brothers! image
  • Options

Thanks for all the feedback!  I don't see myself carrying two bags, but I do typically use a small zipper bag inside my purses, to swap them out easily.  I could probably swap that in and out of the diaper bag, too.  As one pp mentioned, my bag has a front "mommy" pocket that should hold my phone, keys, the little pouch from my purse, etc.

A friend also gave me her SkipHop little clutch (sorry, don't know the name) that's thin and would hold a few diapers and wipes.  So, I figured I'd leave that in the car for emergencies, but that could be something I take, along with my purse, for quick store trips, etc.

Thanks, again!

JB- I bought a JuJuBe BFF in the new Cobalt Blossoms.  I ordered it the very day the new patterns were released and it was at my door when we got home from our trip last weekend. :-)  I love it already!  DH pointed out that it's Seahawks colors (totally unintended) and that he won't mind carrying it some times, too.

• Options
    Everything in the diaper bag....but usually I wear the baby everywhere so my wallet and phone are always on me in the ergo. When I get out baby free I just carry my wallet (it is wristlet & phone fits inside.)
    Mama to Z - 5.5 years, G - 3.5 years, & M - 1.5 years.
  • Options
    I carried the diaper bag for the first couple months and just put my wallet, keys and phone in it. Now though I just carry my purse with a diaper for each kiddo and some wipes. The diaper bag is fully stocked and sits in my car for those times we are away for a long time. Since I spent a lot on my diaper bag I'm sure my husband wishes I used it more!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    If we are going to be gone for an extended period of time, I carry both a diaper bag stocked with everything & my purse.  If it's just a short trip (grocery store, out to dinner, Starbucks, etc) I carry just my purse stocked with a quart sized Zip Lock bag that contains: diaper, a few wipes (in a sandwich Zip Lock bag), paper changing pad, & burp cloth.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I always buy huge, structured purses, so there's no way I could do both.  I transition my wallets and phones, and keep lip gloss and a comb in the diaper bag already so I just have the diaper bag wtih the babe, adn purse when I'm alone.
    J + J = K image Photo by J. Shelton Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone!  Sounds like it will be a learning curve to see what works best.  And it seems like it may change after a while, depending on where I'm going and what I need with me.

• Options

We got a super ugly diaper bag b/c TJ didn't want me to get one he would be embarrassed to carry. Does he ever go out and carry it without me? No. Huh? When she was really little I put all my crap in the ugly bag and used it as a purse. I really hated carrying it b/c it is so dang ugly though. Now I do the opposite and put a few baby things in my purse and leave the diaper bag in the trunk of the car. Did I mention my diaper bag is ugly? Cause it is! I probably would have used the bag as a purse/diaper bag combo for longer if I didn't hate the damn thing so much.

TTC #1 Sept 2008
    M/C 9/21/09 | M/C 12/24/09 | BFP 1/23/10
    Madeline Rey DOB 9/30/10
    TTC # 2 Jan 2013
    BFP 3/12/13 | EDD 11/18/13
    It's a GIRL! Lydia Marie!
    Pregnancy TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageMrsH_08:
    Super cute!! I have diaper bag envy! :)
    TTC #1 Sept 2008
    M/C 9/21/09 | M/C 12/24/09 | BFP 1/23/10
    Madeline Rey DOB 9/30/10
    TTC # 2 Jan 2013
    BFP 3/12/13 | EDD 11/18/13
    It's a GIRL! Lydia Marie!
    Pregnancy TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Jen, you are too funny with your ugly bag story!! :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"