VBAC
Options

Non- VBAC friendly area

I had a C-section with my first because his heart rate was dropping too much. 

I'm 100% sure I want a VBAC for the second.  My local hospital won't do them.  The nearest hopsital that does is an hour away in another state.  Okay as long as I get to try for a VBAC.  I called the hopsital today to see what their success rate with VBAC was and what doctors do them.  The woman said the DO VBACs but rarely so she doens't really know what % are successful and that success depends on a lot of factors (which I totally understand, I've been researching VBAC since the day I was able to sit up after surgery and google :)) She then tried to talk me out of it and asked about 12 times if I was sure that I wanted a VBAC.  I finally just said "thank you for your help" and hung up with her.  I feel so dejected that their staff isn't very VBAC friendly at the hopsital.  I feel like how can I succeed if so many people are "against" me already. 

If you had a VBAC, is there anything that you felt helped you succeed?  I really want a doula because I did hypnobirthing with my son (pushed for an hour and all before his hr dropped too much) and although I loved it, I was so into it that I was really unable to think and looking back I feel there are so many things that I could have done that may have changed the outcome- simple position changes (I pushed laying on my back even though I had no epi... I didn't even question this at the time but I KNOW that is silly).  Prenatal yoga?  Teas you drank?  I'll try anything.  Thank you so much ladies!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Non- VBAC friendly area

• Options

Ugh, I'm sorry you're facing these difficulties! I was thinking last night about this - how completely absurd it is that women have to fight so hard for something that is so clearly supported by the evidence and that is even supported by ACOG! It just makes me so angry that something so personal and so important basically comes down to the personal opinions of a handful of doctors and hospital administrators.

Anyway, back to being helpful ;) I did Hypnobabies and prenatal yoga for my VBAC, and I really felt like Hypnobabies helped me a lot. I'm not sure if it actually made my VBAC happen (really I doubt it), but it helped me stay calm and focused during my pregnancy when the outcome was so uncertain (would I develop HELLP syndrome again, would I have a successful VBAC, etc etc). I also did have a doula and really appreciated her calming presence during labor.

I think the number 1 most important thing you could do - to increase your chances of success and to give you some valuable peace of mind - is to somehow find a provider who is going to truly be supportive of you. If hospital birth is what you want, start calling the doctors that deliver at the hospital that does them and gauge their feelings. I would ask whether or not they do VBAC, whether they have any requirements to be eligible for VBAC, and whether they put any restrictions on labor. When I did this I got a lot of offices that said they would do a VBAC, but only if I went into labor on my own before 40 weeks, only if I required absolutely zero medical intervention during labor, only if the baby wasn't too big, etc etc. I went with the practice that said that their only requirement for me would be that I didn't develop HELLP syndrome at 35 weeks with no cervical dilation again. Also, check out your local chapter of ICAN, as well as the ICAN forums. See who they say is most supportive.

If you're not totally set on a hospital birth, you could look into midwives or birthing centers as well.

Best of luck to you. Again, I'm so sorry that you're having to jump through all of these hoops to do something that is safe, reasonable, and should be a matter of personal choice. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imageRach03k:

I think the number 1 most important thing you could do - to increase your chances of success and to give you some valuable peace of mind - is to somehow find a provider who is going to truly be supportive of you. If hospital birth is what you want, start calling the doctors that deliver at the hospital that does them and gauge their feelings. I would ask whether or not they do VBAC, whether they have any requirements to be eligible for VBAC, and whether they put any restrictions on labor. When I did this I got a lot of offices that said they would do a VBAC, but only if I went into labor on my own before 40 weeks, only if I required absolutely zero medical intervention during labor, only if the baby wasn't too big, etc etc. I went with the practice that said that their only requirement for me would be that I didn't develop HELLP syndrome at 35 weeks with no cervical dilation again. Also, check out your local chapter of ICAN, as well as the ICAN forums. See who they say is most supportive.

If you're not totally set on a hospital birth, you could look into midwives or birthing centers as well.

Rachel said it for me :).Th only thing I can think to add is to see if maybe some family practice doctors in your area support VBAC, instead of just looking for OBs.

I think the biggest factors that lead to my VBAC was being active during my pg, and staying upright/getting to the hospital as late as possible in labor. And you have every right to negotiate non-stress tests/refuse a RCS if you go past 41 weeks - there's no evidence that says VBAC women can't safely go to 42 weeks. Good luck, and I hope you find a supportive provider!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thank you so much ladies! 

There are VERY few VBAC friendly doctors here.  Only two practices that I can find and only ONE hospital.  The birthing center here doesn't do VBACs nor do any midwives in the area.  Is it sad that the main reason I hope hubs gets a better job is so that we can move somewhere more VBAC friendly :) ? I will 100% do Hypnobirthing again and I may even look into Hypnobabies to supplement.  I think I will look into a doula too so that I will have even more support. 

• Options
    I agree with everything pp's have said, but one more thing to consider (and this is based only on my own experience)- when you called the hospital, even if you call L&D, you have NO idea who answers the phone. It could be a nurse, or the nursing supervisor, or a charge nurse who might have some knowledge on VBACs, or it could be a receptionist/tech/random nursing student who has no idea what she is talking about. I just don't want you to get discouraged before you start based on one person's opinion! Good luck =)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    This is true Honkytonk.  Its just hard to find ANYONE pro-Vbac in this area and I'm frustrated searching this long and coming up with just straws to grasp at.  I know that its just one person and she doesn't 100% represent the hopsital but it was disheartening to hear that they don't do many at all and that overall her opionion was obviously very negative in regards to them.  I just feel like all the negativity is just one more obstacle i have to overcome and its making me more and more frustrated. 
  • Options
    Oh! The only other thing I can think of is hiring a traveling midwife - they will travel to you, and it's about as much as hiring a local one. I pretty sure most insurance won't cover one, though I'm not positive about that.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options

Thank you so much ladies!  I talked to my husband and he is being so sweet about it.  He is 100% behind me and is like- We'll do this. We will find a way.  We'll find a doctor.  We'll look harder for a job elsewhere.  

No matter what happens doctor wise I'm sure that having him supporting me so much will be a big push in the right direction (no pun intended).

• Options

I'm sorry you are in this situation.  It makes me crazy that so many hospitals and doctors won't do VBAC.  I hope you can find something that works for you.

Did you at least get the names of any doctors at that hospital who will do VBAC?  If that's your only option I'd at least look into it more.

How do you feel about home birth? 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I found one, maybe two practices in the are that allow VBACs some of the time.  I was hoping that in calling they would point me to the one with a better success rate OR provide me with names of other doctors that allow it.  But I found the names of the doctors through my own research.  She wouldn't tell me anything!

I'm PRO homebirth but my husband isn't to into it.  I would push it more if we were closer to the hospital but we are an hour away so if, God forbid, something did happen we are NOT close to the hopsital at all. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"